Windows 10: File explorer freezing since the last update

Discus and support File explorer freezing since the last update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been unable to use File Explorer since yesterday, coinciding with the installation of update KB4570505. File Explorer will open and run for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SB081320, Aug 13, 2020.

1. SB081320 Win User

File explorer freezing since the last update

I have been unable to use File Explorer since yesterday, coinciding with the installation of update KB4570505. File Explorer will open and run for a few seconds before freezing and displaying "not responding". I am unable to uninstall the update. I tried running a sfc /verifyonly and it found a lot of errors. Should I run a sfc /scannow or should I try something else first?

:)

SB081320, Aug 13, 2020

2. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Aug 13, 2020
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Aug 13, 2020
  4. File explorer freezing since the last update

Windows Explorer freeze

Hi Igor,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask a few questions with regard to freezing File Explorer.

• Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

File explorer freezing since the last update

1. File explorer freezing since the last update - Similar Threads - File explorer freezing

2. Frequent File Explorer Crash since last update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Frequent File Explorer Crash since last update: Hi, I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing their File Explorer crashing since the latest Windows Update: KB5030211, KB5030180. I use Windows 10, but I see similar issues reported by Windows 11 users online. I've tried clearing the file explorer cache ( by deleting...
  3. Computer freezing daily since last update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing daily since last update: My machine has been freezing daily since the last update, it never did that before. I tried looking online to see how to diagnose the issue but have not been successful. Has anyone else been having the same problem? Is Microsoft aware of this? Any plans to fix or diagnose it?...
  4. Since last update, Microsoft Sudoku will freeze.

Since last update, Microsoft Sudoku will freeze.: Since last update, Microsoft Sudoku will freeze when Advertisements change. Mouse function stops and if you move the cursor to a different spot, your last click will happen where the cursor is located thus causing errors in the game...
  5. since last windows 10 update the computer freezes on the restart

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    since last windows 10 update the computer freezes on the restart: Since the last windows 10 update my computer locks up on the restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/since-last-windows-10-update-the-computer-freezes/7aa32692-972f-49b0-b491-405c94da19e4
  6. Freezes since last update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Freezes since last update: I updated to the last update and when i turn on the computer in the first time my mouse freezes when move it and the sound has microshutering. If i tried to restart the computer not restart, stays on the screen restarting... I force the power off and in the second post, the...
  7. Windows freezing since last update

Windows freezing since last update: Ever since my last update, my screen freezes and allows no action either by mouse or keyboard. Letting it sit does not work. I have had to re-start to get out of the screen. This happens across the board, not just in a browser. Do I just wait for the next update to "correct"...
  8. Since last update

Since last update: I dont know if anyone else has noticed that Win10 hasnt run very well for quite some time, unstable, crappy graphics windows popping open for no reason ....anyway II was going through a migraine worth of varying **** and then with the latest update I had enough of the ****...
  9. Since last Update ............................

in Browsers and Email
    Since last Update ............................: MY browsing has gone haywire! I am accessing sites which are not opening properly, windows is asking 'do you want to pen this like this, or something (my wifes account) - opened an online newspaper and it has sections that seem to be continuously opening (loading circles)....
  10. Since last update

in Windows 10 Support
    Since last update: Since this little update on 2nd Dec Bing now has sound on home page and headline photo appear across the bottom. When you click on the photo it takes you to the subject to read. So well done Microsoft. Has anyone else found or seen it 32538