Windows 10: File explorer freezing

Discus and support File explorer freezing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two machines one with Windows 10 Home the other with 10Pro, both are on build 19041.45 They have different security software and different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CharlesHenderson2002, Aug 28, 2020.

1. File explorer freezing

I have two machines one with Windows 10 Home the other with 10Pro, both are on build 19041.45

They have different security software and different applications but share the same recently introduced problem. File explorer freezes.

I have tried most of the fixes that I find on the Web but none have made a difference. So far I have wasted 3 full working days. I do not want to lose my user files or have to reinstall all my application software and have limited confidence in backup- that crashed when I tried to restore a directory and has left me with an even bigger problem of a full disk and files I cannot delete.

Has anyone encountered this and found a cure?

:)

CharlesHenderson2002, Aug 28, 2020

2. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Aug 28, 2020
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Aug 28, 2020
  4. File explorer freezing

Windows Explorer freeze

Hi Igor,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask a few questions with regard to freezing File Explorer.

• Have you made any changes to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps before posting this concern? If yes, what are those?

Looking forward to your response.

Reymichael Ros, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

File explorer freezing

1. File explorer freezing - Similar Threads - File explorer freezing

2. Win11 File Explorer Freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 File Explorer Freezes: Every 10 minutes, taskbar and screen functions freezes at my Win11 Laptop. To be more descriptive; i can move my mouse or if there is a video playing it keeps playing but i can't click on anything. It becomes normal when i ctrl+alt+del and open task manager. Then after 10...
  3. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  4. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  5. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  7. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer freezes, will not open Files: File Explorer will not open files. I can open file folders. This has been happening for at least 5 months. Please can you offer help to a relatively non-technical user?...
  8. File Explorer freezes, will not open Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. File Explorer keeps freezing

File Explorer keeps freezing: When I open the File Explorer, I can see my folders and files. However a few minutes later File Explorer freezes. So I have to close the File Explorer then start it again...
  10. file explorer freeze

file explorer freeze: My File Explorer keeps freezing up. Can't move files, rename files, or even delete them without having it freeze up. Three month old computer and it hasn't worked correctly from the beginning. I have tried everything on the web it would seem but with no luck My system...