Windows 10: File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder

Discus and support File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I open certain folders on my Windows 10 PC, Explorer freezes up and I have to wait for the folder contents to individually "load" before it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by one eyed man, Aug 19, 2021.

1. File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder

When I open certain folders on my Windows 10 PC, Explorer freezes up and I have to wait for the folder contents to individually "load" before it unfreezes. I recorded this video of the issue: The first time I encountered this glitch was a few weeks ago, immediately after I switched out my PC's processor and motherboard. The new components are a Ryzen 9 5900x CPU and a Gigabyte X570 AORUS Pro WiFi MOBO. (They replaced a Ryzen 7 3700x and an ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, respectively.) The components are all listed as compatible, and I've had no issues other than this Explorer freeze thing in the weeks since I did the upgrade. Some more notes on the problem: It may be related to .wav files. I experience this most often when opening folders of sound effects. (I'm a video editor and it's gotten quite annoying to have to wait for folders to load whenever I need SFX.) Strangely though it doesn't happen with every folder of .wav files, as you can see towards the end of my video above.Size of the folder doesn't seem to matter (glitch has occurred in folders with one file and folders with 50 files)As you can see from Task Manager in my video, there's no significant increase in CPU, RAM, or SSD utilization during the hangAll my internal storage devices are SSDs and in the same configuration as before I upgraded my CPU/MOBOIssue has occurred on both my NVMe SSDs and my SATA SSDs, all of which are <2 years old and healthyI have 64GB of <1 year old healthy RAMAfter a folder loads, if I close Explorer and immediately go back to the folder, it always opens immediately; but if I wait 5 minutes or more and then try again, it often does the freeze/load thing againProblem doesn't seem affected by the CPU/RAM utilzation or number of programs running (I've seen it happen immediately after restarting my PC with no programs running)I tried rebuilding the Windows Search Index (Control Panel \ Indexing Options \ Advanced \ Index Settings \ Rebuild); no resultI tried disabling indexing on two of my internal drives (Properties \ uncheck Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties); the freeze still occurs on these drivesI tried enabling Always show icons, never thumbnails in File Explorer Options, View tab; no result Full PC specs: OS: Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, Build 19042.1165CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12 core 4.8GHz)GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 (10GB DDR6 vRAM)MOBO: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 MotherboardRAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz DDR4 t.ly/JDbGSSD1 (C:\): 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 t.ly/5mO9YSSD2 (D:\): 2TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 t.ly/DhnUSSD3 (E:\): 2TB WD Blue SATA III t.ly/iG1o Has anyone else encountered this or know what might be causing it?

:)

one eyed man, Aug 19, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 19, 2021
  3. OneDrive folders will not open in File Explorer

OneDrive folders (e.g. Documents, Pictures, etc.) will not open using File Explorer. File Explorer hangs. Folders and files using OneDrive app and OneDrive online work correctly. OneDrive folders do open correctly using a non-Microsoft file manager
    (TreeSize Personal).

donaldkaplan, Aug 19, 2021
  4. File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder

Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Aug 19, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder

1. File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder - Similar Threads - File Explorer hangs

2. Files disappears one by one when opening folder !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files disappears one by one when opening folder !: Hi,Some times when I open a folder, files start to disappear one by one and then shows, I have took a video of it you can see it link below.Anyone suggests what could cause this problem ?https://streamable.com/fu6701...
  3. Files disappears one by one when opening folder !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files disappears one by one when opening folder !: Hi,Some times when I open a folder, files start to disappear one by one and then shows, I have took a video of it you can see it link below.Anyone suggests what could cause this problem ?https://streamable.com/fu6701...
  4. Files disappears one by one when opening folder !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Crashes when Opening files within one specific folder: I have a folder for one of my classes, and every file within it not only fails to be opened, but the entire program stops responding altogether. It prevents me from uploading my completed assignments, and while I can open files from within Microsoft Word and such, I am...
  6. File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder: NOTE TO MICROSOFT EMPLOYEES AND INDEPENDENT ADVISORS: I kindly request that you don't reply with a generic copy/pasted wall of text until you've read this entire first post. No disrespect, I just don't want to waste anyone's time with suggestions that I've already tried or...
  7. File Explorer freezes and loads files one by one when I open certain folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer freezes and loads files one by one when I open certain folders: NOTE TO MICROSOFT EMPLOYEES AND INDEPENDENT ADVISORS: I kindly request that you don't reply with a generic copy/pasted wall of text until you've read this entire first post. No disrespect, I just don't want to waste anyone's time with suggestions that I've already tried or...
  8. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens: File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it will crash. I had an issue where Windows applications such as Task Manager or Settings where taking too long to launch from...
  9. Explorer hangs when opening a zip file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer hangs when opening a zip file: It typically remains unresponsive for 5-10 seconds until it finally display the contents of the zip file. Extracting files is also relatively slow. This is on a i7-U6500 with 16 GB LPDDR3 laptop, so that should not be the problem. I have no add-ons or extensions to Explorer...
  10. File explorer hangs when I select a folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer hangs when I select a folder: submitted by /u/Xsus03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/icznc1/file_explorer_hangs_when_i_select_a_folder/