Windows 10: File Explorer hangs for 5-10 secs after clicking any type of file can't even double-click.

Discus and support File Explorer hangs for 5-10 secs after clicking any type of file can't even double-click. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I've been having this issue for the past few months, but today it has just gotten on my nerves. Essentially, whenever I take any action... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cbchow, Mar 5, 2021.

1. cbchow Win User

File Explorer hangs for 5-10 secs after clicking any type of file can't even double-click.

Hi there,

I've been having this issue for the past few months, but today it has just gotten on my nerves.

Essentially, whenever I take any action in File Explorer it will hang for 5-10 seconds after clicking a file. After which it will be fine for about 5-10 seconds. Any longer than that and the issue will occur again if I try to select a different file. I should note this occurs when selecting files not folders.

For example, I open downloads folder, try to open an Excel file, but File Explorer hangs blue circle for 5 seconds before I'm able to double-click it to open. I can then open it, or move it, rename it, etc. but if I wait too long same issue will occur again. It's extremely aggravating when I need to move or rename multiple files.

Whenever I reboot my PC, the issue seems to go away for maybe an hour, but it will eventually begin occurring again.

I opened the task manager to determine if anything was amiss, and noticed that "Service Host: DCOM Service Process Launcher" 4 services spikes CPU and Memory usage slightly whenever this problem is happening i.e. after I click a file. See image below.

File Explorer hangs for 5-10 secs after clicking any type of file can't even double-click. 9add5def-cf8a-44ae-bcc7-c01c10a0ddde?upload=true.jpg

I've also ensured all my Windows updates were completed with no apparent change. I've also tried all the steps listed here:

As I said, this has been going on for probably over half a year already.

Any insight or potential solutions?

Thank you

:)

cbchow, Mar 5, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 5, 2021
  3. double clicking on a file in file explorer

when I double click on a file in file explorer the file comes up and so does a blank file in Word. How can I stop the empty file from coming up?

JamesSosnoski, Mar 5, 2021
  4. File Explorer hangs for 5-10 secs after clicking any type of file can't even double-click.

Creating a new folder and right-clicking hangs Explorer for 5-10 seconds

Hi Abhishek,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in creating the new folder in File Explorer, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your interest in resolving the issue.

Do let us know if you were able to see any error message/ error code when the File Explorer crashes?

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under Process
      tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Step 2: I suggest you to perform a full system virus scan and check if it helps.

Refer: Microsoft Safety Scanner - Free Virus Scan with the Microsoft Safety ...

Note: Data or files which are infected by malware might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential for data loss.

Step 3: I suggest you to
    Run check disk (chkdsk)
    and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

• chkdsk / f

• chkdsk /r
    3. You may be asked whether to schedule this volume to be checked next time when you restarts (Y/N).

4. Press Y key on the keyboard and press
    Enter key.

5. Restart the computer and check.

Chkdsk disclaimer:
    The Chkdsk (Check Disc) scan will try to identify and repair bad sectors found on the hard drive. Any data present on these sectors might be lost in the process. The computer can also go into a no boot state. Proceed at your
    own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of File Explorer crashing for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer hangs for 5-10 secs after clicking any type of file can't even double-click.

1. File Explorer hangs for 5-10 secs after clicking any type of file can't even double-click. - Similar Threads - File Explorer hangs

2. Double click dose not open my file in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double click dose not open my file in File Explorer.: So I found an issue with double clicking my files. So when I double click my files, it will not open it up. I find this really, REALLY annoying to me. This also applies for disks, folders, media files, and others. This even happens for software that can open files on the File...
  3. ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding: Hello, ive got a question, i cant RIGHT CLICK or DOUBLE CLICK or anything on files in explorer, if i do it makes it not responding, and also the cmd/powershell "run as administrator" is cant be open, it was working a while ago, but suddenly i have this problem, PLEASE HELP ME...
  4. ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding: Hello, ive got a question, i cant RIGHT CLICK or DOUBLE CLICK or anything on files in explorer, if i do it makes it not responding, and also the cmd/powershell "run as administrator" is cant be open, it was working a while ago, but suddenly i have this problem, PLEASE HELP ME...
  5. ASAP Right clicking/double clicking on files in file explorer makes it not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Single/double-click to open file in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Single/double-click to open file in Explorer: Recently my Windows 10 Home has changed from double-click to open files to single-click and underlining files as hyperlinks, even though it is set to double-click in folder options. I have restored the default settings as shown below but this has made no difference. Using the...
  7. Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer

Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976417/high-cpu-usage-in-the-explorer-exe-process-when-you-open-a-folder-that This problem was allegedly fixed with Windows 10, but that's not the case on my machine. Explorer will hang mf.dll when trying to read metadata on a .wav...
  8. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  9. double clicking on a file in file explorer

double clicking on a file in file explorer: when I double click on a file in file explorer the file comes up and so does a blank file in Word. How can I stop the empty file from coming up?...
  10. Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With...

Windows 10 File Explorer - Any file type will not open using double-click or Open With...: Windows 10 File Explorer will not allow me to open any files using a double click or using Open With... I have no issue opening File Explorer just the inability to open a selected file. Previously both a double click and Open With... worked as they should allowing any file...