Windows 10: File explorer hangs when I select a folder

Discus and support File explorer hangs when I select a folder in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/Xsus03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/icznc1/file_explorer_hangs_when_i_select_a_folder/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Xsus03, Aug 19, 2020.

1. /u/Xsus03 Win User

File explorer hangs when I select a folder

/u/Xsus03, Aug 19, 2020

2. Files remain in original folder after moving them to new folder in file explorer

Hi,

The issue that you’ve encountered regarding the File Explorer may be caused by some configuration or files mismatched. To sort out your concern, we suggest that you reset the folder settings from the
    Folder Options. This will reboot the folder’s preferences to its default state and remove any possible software conflict. To do this, you may follow these steps:

• Click Start, type File Explorer, and press
      Enter
    • On the File Explorer window, click the View tab > Options > Change folder and search options > View.
    • Under the Folder views section, click Reset Folders, and then select
      Yes to confirm.
    • Once you’re done, click OK, and then check if the issue persists.

Note: This process will remove the list of files that you recently opened.

Let us know if the suggestion works for you.

Joseph Ban, Aug 19, 2020
  3. SarahKong Win User
    File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, Aug 19, 2020
  4. MillAlien Win User

File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected

File Explorer hangs when selecting Word doc in OneDrive folder if Preview is on.

It doesn't hang with any other file type that I've tried, including Excel or PDF.

I've disconnected and re-connected several times and disabled Quick access.

Using Windows 10 Pro.

MillAlien, Aug 19, 2020
Thema:

1. File explorer hangs when I select a folder - Similar Threads - File explorer hangs

2. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file: I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and...
  3. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file: I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and...
  4. Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files: Since the latest windows updates windows explorer is crashing constantly when I select or open an image or audio file. I disabled all non Microsoft services, deactivated all AutoStart programs, and deactivated non Microsot Shell extensions using Shexview.exe. I also used...
  5. Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files: Since the latest windows updates windows explorer is crashing constantly when I select or open an image or audio file. I disabled all non Microsoft services, deactivated all AutoStart programs, and deactivated non Microsot Shell extensions using Shexview.exe. I also used...
  6. Windows explorer hangs selecting images or audio files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. File Explorer freezes when i select files

File Explorer freezes when i select files: When i try to open a file and i click on it the spinning wheel appears and file explorer freezes, but it only works with apps if they are in a folder. If i try pinned apps, the ones on the desktop or if i search for them they work fine. This doesn't happens to folder. Can...
  8. File explorer crashes when i select a file

File explorer crashes when i select a file: Hello dear Microsoft Community, My file explorer crashes when i select a file, right click/left click to it. Folder left click works perfectly but the file clicking isn't working and it crashes my file explorer. I can't literally open anything in my computer and it's too...
  9. File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected

File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected: File Explorer hangs when selecting Word doc in OneDrive folder if Preview is on. It doesn't hang with any other file type that I've tried, including Excel or PDF. I've disconnected and re-connected several times and disabled Quick access. Using Windows 10 Pro....
  10. Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer not responding/hanging when dragging video files into folders: IIRC this is an old bug but I can't remember what the solution is, basically I download a bunch of video files (TS or MKV primarily) and then drag them into a folder where I have a muxing bat file, for some reason explorer is hanging/not responding on certain files since...