Windows 10: File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents

Discus and support File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This has been happening for the last 2 days and it's extremely annoying. When I locate the file I want in Explorer, and it's likely stored in my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sukie_B, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Sukie_B Win User

File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents

This has been happening for the last 2 days and it's extremely annoying.

When I locate the file I want in Explorer, and it's likely stored in my Dropbox folder, Explorer will hang and I have to "End task" from task manager.

However, if I open Word/Excel/Powerpoint and navigate to the relevant folder, I can open the file with no issues. However, this is a time consuming process having to find the file location first, and then open up the app I need and navigate to the correct location.

I know this has been raised before, but I honestly have not updated my laptop within the last couple of days, nor have I changed any settings, so any clue to what has caused this issue to suddenly appear, and a suitable fix for it, would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Sukie_B, Nov 2, 2020
  2. CindyH456 Win User

Can't open files in excel, publisher or powerpoint

I can't open any of my documents in excel, publisher or powerpoint. Word still works. It tells me to select an default ap but excel, powerpoint and publisher are listed.

CindyH456, Nov 2, 2020
  3. Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file

HI Team

I am facing a problem while trying to open an excel file or word document from windows explorer. If I try to double click/press enter after selecting the file name, windows explorer doesn't respond. I have to forcefully close it.

Steps followed Open windows explorer --> browse to the file location (excel/word) --> Try to open by double clicking/pressing enter. Windows explorer hangs and doesn't respond.

The same file opens without out any issue if I go through Open Excel/Word --> File --> Open --> Browse to the location --> Click open and the file opens. I am using windows 10

Issue started almost a month back

Please help

Thanks

Unny

Krishnanunny, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Meet Recommended Documents for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel on Windows

Source: Recommended Documents for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel on Windows! - Office Insider Blog

See also: Recommended Documents in Office apps and Version History in Office web

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) View on Twiiter

Brink, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer hangs when I try to open Word/Excel/Powerpoint documents - Similar Threads - File Explorer hangs

2. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  3. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents: Hi. I've been having a problem with my File Explorer freezing every time I click on, or try to open or rename, a Word document. Status bar shows 'Not Responding'. To get out of it I can just close it with the 'x' button which takes a few seconds and makes the taskbar and...
  4. File Explorer freezes when opening Word Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file: HI Team I am facing a problem while trying to open an excel file or word document from windows explorer. If I try to double click/press enter after selecting the file name, windows explorer doesn't respond. I have to forcefully close it. Steps followed Open windows...
  6. Excel, word and Powerpoint

Excel, word and Powerpoint: I upgraded to Windows 10 but no longer have word , excel or powerpoint. I cannot open documents without these apps. How can i get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-word-and-powerpoint/c83a9936-e2e5-4e77-8546-b0b543435c3f"
  7. Meet Recommended Documents for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Meet Recommended Documents for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel on Windows: Hi, I’m Todd Behrbaum, a Principal Program Manager working on intelligence experiences that save you time in Microsoft Office apps. I wanted to share some details about an exciting enhancement to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for Windows that will help you quickly find and...
  8. File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected

File Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder if Preview is on and Word document is selected: File Explorer hangs when selecting Word doc in OneDrive folder if Preview is on. It doesn't hang with any other file type that I've tried, including Excel or PDF. I've disconnected and re-connected several times and disabled Quick access. Using Windows 10 Pro....
  9. Autosave documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Autosave documents in Word, Excel, Powerpoint: There is now a "feature" which has lost me documents (or would have had I not had backups). As many people do, I sometimes load an old document to act as a template, making suitable amendments and saving it under a new name. The problem is that unless I remember to...
  10. New Document Inspector for Excel, PowerPoint, and Word

in Windows 10 News
    New Document Inspector for Excel, PowerPoint, and Word: Beginning with the November and December 2014 updates for Microsoft Office 2013 and 2010, several enhancements are being added to the Document Inspector, also known as the “Check for Issues” tool in Excel, PowerPoint and Word. The Document Inspector helps you to prepare your...