Windows 10: File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

Discus and support File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Sometimes File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails. Most of times it happens when I open a folder which contains a lot of FLAC files. But... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tomass Pētersons, Jul 24, 2020.

1. File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

Hi,

Sometimes File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails. Most of times it happens when I open a folder which contains a lot of FLAC files. But it can happen in totally random times as well, for example when I quickly switch between folders. When it happens, I can't do practically anything. The only solution is to restart Windows.

File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails 3cb4f537-683c-4468-b80f-7beb93008d4b?upload=true.png

This glitch started after Windows 10 1808 was released. Now with 2004 it can still happen. With 1803 and earlier versions I never experienced this glitch. I have reinstalled Windows already, but without luck so far.

Has anyone else experienced same glitch?

:)

Tomass Pētersons, Jul 24, 2020

2. File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

Hi,

Sometimes File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails. Most of times it happens when I open a folder which contains a lot of FLAC files. But it can happen in totally random times as well, for example when I quickly switch between folders. When it happens,
    I can't do practically anything. The only solution is to restart Windows.

File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails 3cb4f537-683c-4468-b80f-7beb93008d4b?upload=true.png

This glitch started after Windows 10 1808 was released. Now with 2004 it can still happen. With 1803 and earlier versions I never experienced this glitch. I have reinstalled Windows already, but without luck so far.

Has anyone else experienced same glitch?

Tomass Pētersons, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Jul 27, 2020
  4. jsmin Win User

File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails

1. File Explorer hangs while processing thumbnails - Similar Threads - File Explorer hangs

2. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  3. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file: I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and...
  4. Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hang when processes interact with Explorer to select a file: I've noticed that a few programs will hang after opening an explorer process to select a file. The two I notice it most are Pageant and Chrome as one is used every time the PC is restarted and the other is used throught my working day.The hang will not occur every time, and...
  5. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  6. How to preview pictures with thumbnail while exploring files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to preview pictures with thumbnail while exploring files: I am unable to preview images in a file. We just updated our Virtual Machines and I am no longer able to look through my photos with a small preview pane. I've looked online for a solution to this, but I don't have the option to "uncheck" Always show icons, never thumbnails:...
  7. File Explorer HANGING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  8. File Explorer hanging

File Explorer hanging: Hi All, Have a customer that has new Win 10 machines (i7, 16GB, 512SSD) on 2 of the machines File Explorer is hanging frequently. Have does the usual stuff to set it to My Pc rather that Quick Access, cleared cahe etc but still does it. Quick fix is a script to kill...
  9. File explorer hangs

File explorer hangs: I'm a Windows Insider (build 18334) Since the latest 4 or 5 builds, file manager is behaving very badly. It takes up to ten or more minutes to build up the Quick Access list. Pictures folders often show white thumbs, green bar keeps rolling without success. Makes normal...
  10. Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Files, mostly raw video, no thumbnail creation, hangs in explorer: I have this issue, where when I go to a folder to look at a file, filename.ts (a raw video created with Colossus Capture card), the file doesn't thumbnail, I usually have two files per folder. This started happening back when I was with 7, not sure why but it just started...