Windows 10: File Explorer Hangs

Discus and support File Explorer Hangs in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MariaR4, Jul 12, 2022.

1. MariaR4 Win User

File Explorer Hangs

***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files. When I restart, it works fine for a while, but then it's the same problem.On these instances where it won't read my files, it also won't shut down or restart. So I have to press the power button.I really think these problems are related, but I can't figure a fix.***Fixes I have already Tried and am not interested in wasting m

:)

MariaR4, Jul 12, 2022
  2. SarahKong Win User

File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, Jul 12, 2022
  3. n9mingg29 Win User
    File Explorer hangs on Windows 10

The hang up of file explore is still existed, after doing your suggestion. Please help.

n9mingg29, Jul 12, 2022
  4. ITM
    itm Win User

File Explorer Hangs

File Explorer hangs at startup (until reboot)

After using Windows 10 for a few hours I find that File Explorer hangs when I open it - it tries to display the Quick Access items, but never completes - I just see "Working on it..." in the preview pane. If I click on "This PC" in the left pane it also hangs with the same message. If I type an address directly into the address bar (e.g. "c:") it will display immediately.

If I open a File Explorer window shortly after rebooting, and leave it open the whole time I can continue to select any entry from the left pane APART FROM "Quick Access" and "This PC", which hang with the message above.

If I open a new File Explorer window after a few hours I only see the "Working on it..." message, and the left pane contains only these top-level items:
    - Quick Access (with no sub-items)
    - Desktop
    - This PC (with no sub-items)
    - Homegroup (with no sub-items).

This doesn't happen when the machine is first booted, and only seems to start happening after a few hours. If I reboot the problem corrects itself.

My initial thought was that there was something on my Quick Access list (e.g. a network share) which was inaccessible, and hence causing it to hang, but I can access every one of the folders in my Quick Access list from my "original" File Explorer window if I leave it open for the entire session.

Any ideas for how to fix this?

Thema:

File Explorer Hangs

1. File Explorer Hangs - Similar Threads - File Explorer Hangs

2. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  3. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  4. windows file explorer is hanging.

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows file explorer is hanging.: I have tried the fixes recommended in your site but I can't fix it. Can you help? I am using Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-file-explorer-is-hanging/71ac32ec-0b86-418e-a270-0cc93a16ae24
  5. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  6. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  7. Windows file explorer hangs

Windows file explorer hangs: Microsoft Windows [Version 20H2 10.0.19042.685] Windows file explorer toolbar becomes inactive when opening My Pictures folder. Thumbnails are not shown and status "Working on it..." never ends. Disk cleanup doesn't help nor restart. Interesting that no such issue when...
  8. File Explorer HANGING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  9. File Explorer hanging

File Explorer hanging: Hi All, Have a customer that has new Win 10 machines (i7, 16GB, 512SSD) on 2 of the machines File Explorer is hanging frequently. Have does the usual stuff to set it to My Pc rather that Quick Access, cleared cahe etc but still does it. Quick fix is a script to kill...
  10. File explorer hangs

File explorer hangs: I'm a Windows Insider (build 18334) Since the latest 4 or 5 builds, file manager is behaving very badly. It takes up to ten or more minutes to build up the Quick Access list. Pictures folders often show white thumbs, green bar keeps rolling without success. Makes normal...