Windows 10: File explorer has changed the order it shows stuff

Discus and support File explorer has changed the order it shows stuff in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 7 did it, and Win 10 did. I have my downloads go to E:\Downloads, like to keep them separate. Win 10 use to show first the files by date, and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Maddad, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Maddad Win User

File explorer has changed the order it shows stuff

Win 7 did it, and Win 10 did. I have my downloads go to E:\Downloads, like to keep them separate. Win 10 use to show first the files by date, and then any folders under them. Now it is showing all folders first and then the downloaded files. I have tried everything in the view/group by, and sort by to try and get it back to where it was but no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks

:)

Maddad, Sep 14, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Sep 14, 2015
  3. File Explorer suddenly runs slow

TODAY, for the first time, when I try to change the sort order of a directory, File Explorer launches into a search function. For a directory with much data it takes a very long time, just to change the sort order of the files (< 100 files).

It is obvious it is scanning every file when this is not required to change the sort order of the file names.

It is a new bug/feature from Microsoft. Has anyone got a fix, or should I just wait for Microsoft to fix it?

GrahamDLovell, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Maddad, *Smile

If you have your Downloads folder in "Details" view, click on the "Name" column title bar to have it sorted descending by name.

That should have the files on top, and folders on bottom like below.

File explorer has changed the order it shows stuff [​IMG]

Brink, Sep 17, 2015
  5. Maddad Win User
    Found that while in view clicking on sort by, date modified, works aok.

Maddad, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer has changed the order it shows stuff - Similar Threads - File explorer has

2. File Explorer showing unwanted stuff

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer showing unwanted stuff: Hi everyone, Well, this is an odd question. I'm helping a friend with a project that involves setting up three new Windows 11 machines. She created a new, project specific account that these machines are hooked up to, but the Office license is on her primary personal account....
  3. File Explorer showing unwanted stuff

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer showing unwanted stuff: Hi everyone, Well, this is an odd question. I'm helping a friend with a project that involves setting up three new Windows 11 machines. She created a new, project specific account that these machines are hooked up to, but the Office license is on her primary personal account....
  4. file explorer --- file folder order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer --- file folder order: What option do I have to set so that when I list the files / folders in documents that the filesare firstt, on top of the subfolders, and I then the files are listed in descending order...
  5. Change the order of folder left pane file explorer.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change the order of folder left pane file explorer.: Is there a way i can sort these network folders? so they're grouped? Instead of all over? https://i.imgur.com/qQrgusR.png (not by changing name ;)) submitted by /u/x3nius [link] [comments]...
  6. Why is Windows file explorer search showing random stuff

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why is Windows file explorer search showing random stuff: Why is it that when I search for something it shows me random stuff that doesn't even have the word that I searched for in the name instead of things that I actually want to see and how do I disable it? submitted by /u/Szymks [link] [comments]...
  7. File Explorer Sort Order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sort Order: Question regarding sort order for File Explorer in Windows 10: The sort order changes with updates at times. My sort order preference is to show file folders alphabetically first and then files sorted either by date modified or alphabetically, depending on the search. What's...
  8. File explorer not showing scanned files in correct order.

File explorer not showing scanned files in correct order.: I use a Brother DCP-L2520DW to scan my files. Whenever I scan files, the first file is moved to the last, the rest are in the correct order. I have contacted support before. They told me to view the files using "date modified" instead of name in ascending order. This works,...
  9. Changing listing order of files and folders in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing listing order of files and folders in File Explorer: Microsoft is engaged in an annoying game of intentional behavior modification. Win 10 is making everything default to the OneDrive folder, and they're putting the OneDrive listing prominently so that if you aren't extra careful, you put your stuff in that folder and not the...
  10. File Explorer list order.

File Explorer list order.: For years through many versions of windows I never had to deal with this issue until the recent update. I like to see all of my sub folders listed first, then the files in a folder. How do I get that to happen. I mostly use list and thumbnail in my folder listings....