Windows 10: File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

Discus and support File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; File Explorer consumes about 160-400 MB in the background from the point of booting my computer to shutting it down. The problem has been there since I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by DRaKula_11, Nov 27, 2021.

1. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

File Explorer consumes about 160-400 MB in the background from the point of booting my computer to shutting it down. The problem has been there since I purchased the laptop HP-15 2019 version. I tried clearing my temp files, clearing the indexed files, etc. I have scanned my PC multiple times, and there were no malware/viruses found. Also tried ending and restarting the explorer.exe process, it didn't workI could have tolerated it using so much memory if it had performed smoothly; But it is very, VERY slow at opening folders. Can I please get some help?Device Specifications:Memory: 12 GB 240

:)

DRaKula_11, Nov 27, 2021

2. System and compressed memory high disk usage

Hi Robert,

As you are facing issues with high system and compressed memory on your device we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What is the complete error message with respect to the memory when you are trying to access games?

This issue might have occurred due to applications or services running at the startup on the computer. Bad sectors on the hard drive or outdated and incompatible drivers might also cause such issues.

I suggest you to refer to the below post check if your issue matches with the same.

If so, I recommend you to try the troubleshooting steps suggested by Amarjeet Paul
    and check if it helps.

System and compressed memory high disk usage during file
    copy

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 27, 2021
  3. GBCrosby Win User
    System and compressed memory high disk usage during file copy

Thank you Amarjeet_Paul.

I spent many more hours than I had hoped this past week reading and trying others' suggestions from this community on how to reduce high RAM usage due to ntoskrnl.exe. The "System and compressed memory" process remained the top consumer of RAM, using 500-900MB,
    among all other processes running. I deemed it to be the likely culprit in making my computer use frustratingly sluggish. After completing your
    third step, steps 1. & 2. provided no improvement in my case, the "System and compressed memory" process RAM usage has plummeted from the top of the Task Manager Process list to the bottom, running at a remarkable 0.1MB! That's a whole lot less than
    1% of the targeted process' gluttony. You're hired! Ps. I'll be keeping an eye on the process' use as I get back to normal operations, and be back if it floats to high in the list. Or if the registry fix you suggested has compromised use in any way. Please
    explain in simple terms what the insertion of your registry modification is doing.

Thanks again.

Geoff

GBCrosby, Nov 27, 2021
  4. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

file explorer

Hi,

There is possibility that when the File Explorer is running slow, there are services or startup programs that has high memory or CPU usage that are running in the background. Answering the following questions may help us in uncovering the underlying cause
    of the issue:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Were you able to check the Task Manager to see if there are services or startup programs with high memory or CPU usage?
    • Were you able to install all pending updates on your computer?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you already performed?

Regards.

Darian Tab, Nov 27, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

1. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage - Similar Threads - File Explorer High

2. Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Memory Usage: Hello,I'm encountering a persistent problem with Windows Explorer where it exhibits high CPU and memory usage whenever I attempt to open a folder with a size exceeding 30 GB. Despite my best efforts, I have tried numerous troubleshooting steps, including disk cleanup, disk...
  3. high memory usage by file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    high memory usage by file explorer: file explorer is taking 3300mb ram for no reason, normally it takes 60mbs, but 3gb is a lot, i normally play minecraft at 500fps, now whenever file explorer takes 3gb ram it goes to 20, thats literally in any game not just minecraft, but file explorer doesnt take any memory...
  4. high memory usage by file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    high memory usage by file explorer: file explorer is taking 3300mb ram for no reason, normally it takes 60mbs, but 3gb is a lot, i normally play minecraft at 500fps, now whenever file explorer takes 3gb ram it goes to 20, thats literally in any game not just minecraft, but file explorer doesnt take any memory...
  5. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage: File Explorer consumes about 160-400 MB in the background from the point of booting my computer to shutting it down. The problem has been there since I purchased the laptop HP-15 2019 version. I tried clearing my temp files, clearing the indexed files, etc. I have scanned my...
  6. File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer High to Extreme Memory usage: File Explorer consumes about 160-400 MB in the background from the point of booting my computer to shutting it down. The problem has been there since I purchased the laptop HP-15 2019 version. I tried clearing my temp files, clearing the indexed files, etc. I have scanned my...
  7. Windows Explorer High Memory Usage

Windows Explorer High Memory Usage: Why does my Windows Explorer consumes about 160-300 MB even in the background from the point of booting my computer to shutting it down. The problem has been there since I purchased the laptop HP-15 2019 version. I tried clearing my temp files, clearing the indexed files,...
  8. Extremely High Memory Usage While Idle - Memory Leak

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extremely High Memory Usage While Idle - Memory Leak: [ATTACH] OK so for the past few weeks I've been having problems with high memory usage. As you can see here with no applications open it's running at 88% but with Chrome and Discord it's above 95%. My computer has 16GB of RAM and I've never had this problem before. I've...
  9. Extremely high idle memory usage

Extremely high idle memory usage: A few weeks ago now I have had the issue of my pc idling at 80 - 90% memory with a fresh reboot. I do have quite a bit of programs in startup but I doubt that's it because I have never had an issue for this. I have done TONS of research tried many methods but non of them...
  10. Mapped memory file high memory usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mapped memory file high memory usage.: I keep having my memory eaten up by what RAMMapp says is a "Mapped Memory File". I can't seem to pin it to an app or driver and all google search turns up is info about windows server and/or a bunch of techno babble that's above my pay-grade. Can anyone point me at some info...