Windows 10: File Explorer - How to use - It has potential

Discus and support File Explorer - How to use - It has potential in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have info on smoke detectors in various places on my C: drive, that I would like to consolidate. File Explorer gives you default columns to look at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mb1280, Sep 28, 2018.

1. mb1280 Win User

File Explorer - How to use - It has potential

I have info on smoke detectors in various places on my C: drive, that I would like to consolidate.

File Explorer gives you default columns to look at . . . It would be good if I could select to see the Path, is that possible? Yes, but you run into some issues.

What should I change here . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PUT COLUMNS IN THIS ORDER

Name . . . you don't really need "Name", as it's in "Path", but you can't un-check it, and it is useful to view sorted on it most of the time, so, have that as the default

Path

Date modified

Date created

Size

Folder . . . Not very useful, un-check it
    Type . . . Not really necessary, since you can see the extension in Path, un-check it

View / Options / View / Apply to folders / Yes / Ok

Then when you search:

Specify the Column / colon / space / quotes around the word(s)
    . . . name: "smoke" . . . or . . . name: "smoke det" . . . or . . . name: "smoke detectors"
    . . . path: "smoke" . . . or . . . path: "smoke det" . . . or . . . path: "smoke detectors"

Put quotes around the word, or string of words you want, for an exact match.

How do you make it search for:
    a.) "contains" your text (not exact match) . . . *smoke*
    b.) your text starts the file name . . . smoke*
    c.) your text is after the beginning . . . *smoke

It's not case sensitive . . . How do you make it case sensitive?

Then, click to sort on the "Path" column header, and consolidate based on what you see.

ISSUES

1.) Click on the file and go back, and it gets rid of the "Path" column, and gives me back "Folder"

2.) Click to Search, and it gives you the "Content" view (you want "Details")

3.) Want to get the "Path" column back? It is _very_ far down the list

How do you get File Explorer to retain what you want, when you clicked "Apply to folders" ?

Can I make a BAT file that sets this up every time, and then launches File Explorer? Where do you specify these settings?

:)

mb1280, Sep 28, 2018
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Sep 28, 2018
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Sep 28, 2018
  4. File Explorer - How to use - It has potential

File Explorer

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on view option.
    • Click on preview panel to turn it Off and On.

Hope this information helps. If you have any further queries related to Windows, let us know.
    We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Sep 28, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer - How to use - It has potential

1. File Explorer - How to use - It has potential - Similar Threads - File Explorer has

2. How to Fix Potentially Corrupted ACLs & Crashing File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Fix Potentially Corrupted ACLs & Crashing File Explorer?: I am having some issues with File Explorer. Ever since I uninstalled the Virtual Machine Platform, I cannot open any folder in File Explorer—it freezes, and then I have to either kill it with the "End Process" popup, or it resets explorer.exe on its own. I also get the...
  3. How to Fix Potentially Corrupted ACLs & Crashing File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Fix Potentially Corrupted ACLs & Crashing File Explorer?: I am having some issues with File Explorer. Ever since I uninstalled the Virtual Machine Platform, I cannot open any folder in File Explorer—it freezes, and then I have to either kill it with the "End Process" popup, or it resets explorer.exe on its own. I also get the...
  4. How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?: Hi, I do get a lot of downloads which are .CAB files, the majority is obviously .ZIP, although I heard .CAB is just like .ZIP, but how do I use a cab file in file explorer? Like how do I extract files from it? I tried to search in the internet for like 30 minutes already, but...
  5. How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?: Hi, I do get a lot of downloads which are .CAB files, the majority is obviously .ZIP, although I heard .CAB is just like .ZIP, but how do I use a cab file in file explorer? Like how do I extract files from it? I tried to search in the internet for like 30 minutes already, but...
  6. How to use a CAB file in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer has lost files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer has lost files: I had my documents and pictures on a second drive. I took it out. Now those folders under "This PC" in File Explorer tell me to insert a drive when I click on them because it is looking for D:/Documents. (It is correct in Libraries and Quick Access.) It isn't a major problem...
  8. Computer slow and potentially has viruses.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer slow and potentially has viruses.: So this computer is very slow and It probably has viruses. Windows starts up and cmd.exe starts up. This computer should be running faster than it is right now. I have a 32bit computer windows 7 and it runs faster than this. Someone help. 31870
  9. Using File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Using File Explorer: In Windows 7 when I open Windows Explorer it comes up with a very simple window that has very basic tabs, Organise, Share With Burn, New Folder. Organise then has a very basic drop down menu. When I use File Explorer in Windows 10 it comes up with a much more detailed menu...
  10. How to use # file order in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to use # file order in file explorer: Hello I managed to view (#) column in file explorer but I don't know how to assign values to it. [img] 89590