Windows 10: File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds.

Discus and support File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When inserting a dvd or cd nothing happens. Disc drive & drivers are working properly but the discs don't show on File Explorer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Grawes2, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Grawes2 Win User

File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds.

When inserting a dvd or cd nothing happens. Disc drive & drivers are working properly but the discs don't show on File Explorer.

:)

Grawes2, Dec 3, 2019

2. DVD/CD Drive not recognising media on new Dell laptop (Windows 10)

Dell Inspiron 5000 series, brand new

Originally the DVD drive would not show at all in File Explorer, despite Device Manager recognising, drivers up to date, etc. Dell diagnostics reported various feedback ranging from perfectly ok (SupportAssist, on-line smart diagnostic quick test) to failing some tests (on-line optical drive tests) and requiring attention (sadly, the attention it suggested I use was a 'fix' tool on the Microsoft website that would not run on Windows 10 operating platform so I have not been able to persue further)

Things improved a little after downloading and installing all of the urgent and recommended Dell updates, plus installing all of the Windows updates. Now the laptop shows the drive in File Explorer, and occasionally media is recognised and even played. For example, inserting an audio CD into the drive immediately after booting up will run autoplay and the tracks are displayed as expected in File Explorer.

However, subsequent CDs (or any other media) are not recognised. The drive 'acts' like it should (led goes on, whirring sound made, etc) but nothing happens. File Explorer displays whatever the previous media contents were.

So for example, if I insert an audio CD with 10 tracks immediately after booting, the CD will autoplay and the 10 tracks will display in File Explorer. Everything seems fine. If I then eject this CD, and put in an audio CD with 5 tracks, File Explorer will continue to display the 10 tracks from the first CD. The new CD wont autoplay. Its basically not recognised.

This is quite frustrating because it means I have to reboot every time I want to change media. Its also a brand new £700 laptop, so disappointing that it doesn't work straight out of the box.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Tom and Amy, Dec 3, 2019
  3. ordsallad Win User
    CD & DVD Drive Not Recognised in Windows 10 (Sometimes Works!)

Device Manager & Disc Management both see my DVD & CD drives, but File Explore, most of the time, doesn't ..... Un-installing the drives gets them recognised by Device Manager again, but not by File Explorer. No Troubleshooters sort it out.

Any suggestions?

ordsallad, Dec 3, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer in Windows 10 not recognising dvds & cds. - Similar Threads - File Explorer recognising

2. CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CD/DVD Problem. DVDs are recognised but not CDs: Can anyone help end my frustration?I recently started ripping my CD collection to FLAC on an external drive, using Windows Media Player, going from ABBA to Zydeco. I got as far as the letter G and tried the Gorillaz CD which turned out to be an enhanced CD which I couldn't...
  3. Audio CDs not being recognised in Windows 10

Audio CDs not being recognised in Windows 10: I'm struggling with getting audio CDs to be recognised in Windows 10 . CD-ROM data discs are working perfectly - but if I put an audio CD in any DVD drive:1 Windows treats it like a blank CD-ROM2 No .CDA files are shown3 Windows Media Player does not recognise that there is...
  4. DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DVD Drive not reading DVDs/CDs in Windows 10: So recently I have been wanting to rip some of my DVD library (for personal use, of course), but for some reason the DVD drive on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad T430) is not reading the discs which I put in. I am about to purchase an external DVD drive to read the DVDs, but I...
  5. I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't play cds or dvds on Windows 10: play cds or dvds on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-play-cds-or-dvds-on-windows-10/098136a1-212d-49c6-bef3-360e29e777b3
  6. Blank DVDs not Recognised

Blank DVDs not Recognised: I am archiving files to DVD, using Windows 10 and a Lenovo Z51. I'm using an external DVD writer my laptop's own DVD drive hasn't worked properly for a couple of years. I am using a new USB external DVD writer. My laptop recognises the DVD writer in Device manager and...
  7. Windows 10 Reads (blank) Audio CDs as DVDs

Windows 10 Reads (blank) Audio CDs as DVDs: When I put a blank audio CD in the CD drive, it says it is a DVD. I am trying to burn a playlist from Windows Media Player onto it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-reads-blank-audio-cds-as-dvds/47846b8f-25c6-4ecc-87ef-22c64f6fcdb9
  8. playing cds/dvds on an external drive

playing cds/dvds on an external drive: Whether my win10 laptop will play cds on an external drive is somewhat hit-and-miss. I have 2 drives, one old and one new. I have the same problem with both, though the old one is recognised as a drive, whereas it seems the newer one isn't. This is a huge problem, as I use...
  9. File Explorer rejecting CDS

File Explorer rejecting CDS: My Windows 10 File Explorer has unexpectedly started to reject CDs/DVDs, and has started to eject them from the disc drive. When I go into iTunes the CD works fines, however as soon as that happens the file explorer pops up and says that there is no CD inserted before...
  10. Using Windows 10 File Explorer to burn dvds

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Windows 10 File Explorer to burn dvds: I've been working with Poser for some time now. I'd like to save some of what I've created, as well as content I've downloaded (legally) that's either free or I've even paid for. If I were to burn that content off using RW discs, does File Explorer "finalize" the disc...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer not recognizing dvd

2. my dvd have quit getting recognition from windows file explorer

3. file explorer doesnt reconginze blank cd

4. file explorer play dvd