Windows 10: File Explorer is a complete mess

Discus and support File Explorer is a complete mess in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Pro 1909 (not updating to 2004 until I know it's safe). Symptoms: - Right-click to open a second FE window either doesn't work, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hadesscion, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:22 PM.

1. File Explorer is a complete mess

Running Windows 10 Pro 1909 (not updating to 2004 until I know it's safe).

Symptoms:

- Right-click to open a second FE window either doesn't work, or takes over a minute to open

- FE search bar doesn't register the first few keystrokes entered into the field

- FE search bar sometimes simply won't search. Seems to do this about 50% of the time.

- FE will sometimes crash doing the most basic tasks, like attempting to open a document or moving a file to a different location. This happens almost daily.

Troubleshooting:

- Ran Windows updates

- Rebooted the PC

- Cleared the history and reset the defaults for FE

submitted by /u/hadesscion
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hadesscion, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:22 PM
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond File Explorer is a complete mess :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3. Ralph Sta Win User
    File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

4. Paolo Mag Win User

File Explorer is a complete mess

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Thema:

File Explorer is a complete mess

1. File Explorer is a complete mess - Similar Threads - File Explorer complete

2. Dark Theme in File Explorer now work completed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dark Theme in File Explorer now work completed: Can you one help to see my dark mode like this? and how to fix it? Edition: Windows 10 Home Version 1909 OS build 18363.752 Thanks [ATTACH]...
  3. Saving a file breaks thumbnails and messes up file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a file breaks thumbnails and messes up file explorer: When I save a file from any browser to anywhere but the default download location it will sometimes freeze while attempting to open a window asking me where to save. It also breaks thumbnails for some reason. I'm forced to close my browser and either log out or restart it...
  4. This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SvenCuaresma [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e2llqd/this_1909_file_explorer_search_is_a_complete_mess/
  5. File explorer messes colors of black and white

File explorer messes colors of black and white: Hello, I don't know what I did to result in this or how to describe this accurately, please help [ATTACH] As you can see, the windows options are invisible, when I click them a menu shows (as it should) but as soon as I pass my cursor on the settings the text disappears and...
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer messed up. plz help

Windows 10 File Explorer messed up. plz help: I don't know what I did to do cause it but my file explorer has been messed up.[IMG][ATTACH] I have tried running "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth sfc /scannnow" in CMD with privillages but (the writing that I paste doesn't contain sfc /scannow, idk if that's...
  7. Windows show no icons and file explorer messed up

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows show no icons and file explorer messed up: My laptop desktop shows only shortcut label with no icons. File explorer also show no icons and quick access show nothing. I have the screenshot if you want to tell how to upload it. Thanks 113548
  8. Method to save and view complete file history in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Method to save and view complete file history in File Explorer?: Hi all, I want to be able to view the files that I've accessed in File Explorer so that I can review (and preferably search through) them at any time. Essentially what I want is the "Recent items" menu that comes up on the File Explorer homepage, but the version that...
  9. File Explorer has become a real mess

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer has become a real mess: File Explorer, in the last few days, has become a real mess on my computers. (My Documents resides on a network drive, a D-Link DNS-323, which is mapped to the computer, and has been ever since the July release.) 1. Sometimes it takes File Explorer 4 or 5 minutes to allow...
  10. Microsoft is working on a complete ‘update’ to File Explorer on Window

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is working on a complete ‘update’ to File Explorer on Window: Microsoft is working on a complete ‘update’ to File Explorer on Windows 10 Hammad Saleem Mar 21, 2016 at 6:43 am Microsoft Windows 10 was officially available for download last year in July, and came with a bunch of new, interesting features on board. Microsoft...