Windows 10: File Explorer is a complete mess

Discus and support File Explorer is a complete mess in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Pro 1909 (not updating to 2004 until I know it's safe). Symptoms: - Right-click to open a second FE window either doesn't work, or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hadesscion, Jun 30, 2020.

1. File Explorer is a complete mess

Running Windows 10 Pro 1909 (not updating to 2004 until I know it's safe).

Symptoms:

- Right-click to open a second FE window either doesn't work, or takes over a minute to open

- FE search bar doesn't register the first few keystrokes entered into the field

- FE search bar sometimes simply won't search. Seems to do this about 50% of the time.

- FE will sometimes crash doing the most basic tasks, like attempting to open a document or moving a file to a different location. This happens almost daily.

Troubleshooting:

- Ran Windows updates

- Rebooted the PC

- Cleared the history and reset the defaults for FE

submitted by /u/hadesscion
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hadesscion, Jun 30, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond File Explorer is a complete mess :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Ralph Sta Win User
    File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

File Explorer is a complete mess

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer is a complete mess

1. File Explorer is a complete mess - Similar Threads - File Explorer complete

2. File explorer colors messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer colors messed up: I recently updated to Windows 11 and my file explorer colors got messed up.Everything else looks fine for the normal dark mode.I've tried changing the theme to light mode and changing it back to dark mode but it didn't do anything. I updated to 23H2, but that didn't work...
  3. File explorer colors messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer colors messed up: I recently updated to Windows 11 and my file explorer colors got messed up.Everything else looks fine for the normal dark mode.I've tried changing the theme to light mode and changing it back to dark mode but it didn't do anything. I updated to 23H2, but that didn't work...
  4. Windows 11 has completely messed up some of my users file explorer setups

Windows 11 has completely messed up some of my users file explorer setups: We had some mandatory training for a new system we are rolling out. They login with their credentials on the training computer. We get through training. Now, back at their desks, they go to open file explorer and ALL of their pinned quick access folders are gone. Couldn't...
  5. File explorer messed up by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer messed up by itself: All of a sudden, after a reboot, File Explorer on Windows 11 decided to break and is currently in an unusable state.Basically I have only "Home" and "Desktop" in the navigation Pane. See screenshots.Below "Desktop" I find all the folders of the computer. On my Desktop I see...
  6. File explorer messed up by itself

File explorer messed up by itself: All of a sudden, after a reboot, File Explorer on Windows 11 decided to break and is currently in an unusable state.Basically I have only "Home" and "Desktop" in the navigation Pane. See screenshots.Below "Desktop" I find all the folders of the computer. On my Desktop I see...
  7. File explorer is completely blank

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer is completely blank: Every section of my file explorer is now completely blank. I can still access all my files but I can't see any of them. I haven't downloaded anything recently. My windows version number is build 19041.1052. Thanks 182496
  8. Complete Mess

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Complete Mess: Hey guys I have some troubles with my laptop. I rebootet windows 10 and after that when I tried to sign in it said Other User but I had no login details. So i followed this youtube tutorial https://youtu.be/nn4B75ZgngI but i forgot to set a password. And now when I try to...
  9. The File Explorer mess

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The File Explorer mess: For 40 years I have been using Windows with a file manager that showed on the left a vertical line with the sub-folders included into any folder I chose to look into. Then, by simply clicking any file or sub-folder in the vertical line, I could open them or look into them....
  10. This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This 1909 file explorer search is a complete mess.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/SvenCuaresma [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e2llqd/this_1909_file_explorer_search_is_a_complete_mess/