Windows 10: File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access

Discus and support File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I open file explorer the thumbnails just shows the white paper symbol no matter if the file in question is a folder, picture, or anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Aske Bach Christiansen, Jul 11, 2021.

1. File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access

When I open file explorer the thumbnails just shows the white paper symbol no matter if the file in question is a folder, picture, or anything else.Then when I close file explorer and open it again the only thing shown is an empty quick access screen.I've tried to run sfc scannow and a few other things but I can't find and solve the problem.

:)

Aske Bach Christiansen, Jul 11, 2021
  2. Mark Ole Win User

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Quick Access Not Working

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Follow the below steps to repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Method 1:

Before repairing the database, try to disable and then re-enable Quick Access to see if it helps. To disable and re-enable Quick Access, follow the below steps:

Step 1: To remove frequent folders and recent files list from Quick Access, open File Explorer > click on View tab in Ribbon >
    click on Options > Change folder and search options to open Folder Options.

Step 2: You’ll have to uncheck the following two check-boxes present under the Privacy section to disable Quick Access:

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 3: Click Apply and Exit. The action will instantly remove these two sections from Quick Access in File Explorer. (To clear your Quick Access history press the ‘Clear’ button against Clear File Explorer History).

Step 4: Then, check
    the following two check-boxes again to enable Quick Access that you did in
    Step2.

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 5: Restart the PC once and check the issue and if the issue persist, follow the
    Method 2.

Method 2:

The Method 2 will repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Step 1: Open File Explorer and paste this folder path: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations in the address bar and hit Enter.

Step 2: Once the folder is opened, press ‘Ctrl’ key and the ‘A’ from your keyboard to select all of its contents and delete it.

Step 3: Do the same for this folder path as well: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Step 4: Restart the PC once and check the issue.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq Ali Khan

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 11, 2021
  4. File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access

Files not showing in Quick Access

Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance.

Tony Vella, Jul 11, 2021
Thema:

File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access

1. File explorer is broken, not showing anything but an empty quick access - Similar Threads - File explorer broken

2. Quick Access in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access in File Explorer: For some reason my Quick Access in File Explorer stopped working about a week ago. It does not display pinned folders any more. It does show recent files. When I try to pin anything to it it says that the folder already exists. I only had 4 or 5 folders pinned but it gives me...
  3. File Explorer and Quick access empty and not loading

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer and Quick access empty and not loading: Hi Brink, Any idea why this is happening now after update? 179906
  4. File Explorer Quick Access

File Explorer Quick Access: I have pinned a folder to quick access, file explorer. Folder shows, no problems. I shut my machine down at the end of the day. When I restart and go into file explorer, the folder I pinned to quick access is not there. I have tried various solutions on-line and community...
  5. Quick access is not showing in File explorer

Quick access is not showing in File explorer: Hello, I have problem with quick acces feature in file exploer. It doesn't show up on the left list adn there seems to be no way of changing it. [ATTACH] I tried resetting folders and resetting file exploer in task manager. Nothing worked....
  6. In File Explorer Quick Access

In File Explorer Quick Access: Listed is old Firefox > ylzp0n7i.default Is that OK or should I delete? Also, I get a lot of cookies and I enabled block 3rd party cookies Thank you for your anticipated help...
  7. Broken Quick Access

Broken Quick Access: Today I've noticed that my quick access in file explorer is now just complete empty and i don't know why. However if I use a program to browser files quick access works just fine. Please someone help me. [ATTACH] This is broken [ATTACH] But This is not....
  8. Access in file search, etc is anything but quick

Access in file search, etc is anything but quick: When opening the file search dialogue, and opening the files, or opening anything in Control Panel, while access should be 'quick' it is as slow as molasses. Get the green 'working' bar and it sets there with the little circle going around and around. This should be...
  9. Files not showing in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files not showing in Quick Access: Why are ordinary doc and xls files which I open, update and save not showing in my list of Recent Files in Quick Access? The File Explorer is set to Quick Access. Thanks in advance. 112181
  10. File Explorer - Quick Access Does Not Show Recent Files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - Quick Access Does Not Show Recent Files: For some strange reasons, File Explorer no longer shows the Recent files. Is there any way to fix this?*Rolleyes 58261

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com