Windows 10: File explorer is completely blank

Discus and support File explorer is completely blank in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Every section of my file explorer is now completely blank. I can still access all my files but I can't see any of them. I haven't downloaded anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cameron V, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Cameron V Win User

File explorer is completely blank

Every section of my file explorer is now completely blank. I can still access all my files but I can't see any of them. I haven't downloaded anything recently. My windows version number is build 19041.1052. Thanks

:)

Cameron V, Jul 13, 2021
  2. c1sanford Win User

Locking the file explorer

After many failed attempts to disable the file explorer, automatic grouping of file names in alphabetical order suggested, the work around suggested fails miserably. Using the “group by” has been found to be completely incapable of working.
    The “group by” procedure found online is”
    1. Open the file explorer
    2. Navigate to the folder containing the files to be renamed.
    3. Click the view tab.
    4. Click the down arrow to access the “Group by” pull down menu.
    5. Clicking the “Date created” category or any other category except the “Name” category.
    6. Again click the down arrow to access the “Group by” pull down menu
    7. Click “None”
    After manually changing the “File name” and clicking “Enter”. The “File name” category once again automatically reorganizes the in alphabetical order. In effect Steps 1 thru 7 accomplishes nothing.
    Additionally, if I repeat the process in a folder containing nothing but “MP4 Video Files (VLC)” in the “Type” category” and run the “Group by” process it still continues to resort the names alphabetically. It then places a new blank Deltacad file into the Folder having files being renamed. It then launches and plays the changed video file with the VLC media player.

c1sanford, Jul 13, 2021
  3. spysmily1 Win User
    Icon for cmd.exe blank in File Explorer

The icon for cmd.exe is a blank file as in the image.

File explorer is completely blank [​IMG]

You can see the icon is correct in the properties window.

File explorer is completely blank [​IMG]

This is a recent clean install of windows about a week ago. Not sure when they changed but I do remember having the icon correct after the initial install. I've followed the instructions to rebuild icon cache for Windows 10 at http://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-...in-windows-10/. It did not work.

Any suggestions would be great.

spysmily1, Jul 13, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond File explorer is completely blank :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

1. File explorer is completely blank - Similar Threads - File explorer completely

2. Blank DVD is not recognized in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank DVD is not recognized in File Explorer: Sorry for the length of this. I simply want to completely explain the problem with the hope that it can finally be resolved.I have a Dell XPS desktop system with an Intel i7 processor, an internal Dell DVD-RW drive, and an external ASUS Blu-Ray DVD-RW. I have windows 10 Home...
  3. File explorer ribbon blank not hidden

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer ribbon blank not hidden: This window is maximized, but I cannot access most of the ribbon or minimize/maximize/close or navigation buttons. Sometimes this happens in Chrome and can be fixed by F11 full screen open and close. However, that does not work in file explorer. It's such a pain not to have...
  4. file explorer got blank

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    file explorer got blank: I just installed the sound changer for windows and then this happened I don't know why please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/file-explorer-got-blank/a4da69d8-b572-414f-b391-1ff666c8b5c6
  5. File Explorer is Blank????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer is Blank????: The problem is that everything is blank. When I try to open it to upload a picture in places like discord or here, it works fine, but when I open File Explorer on its own it has this issue. I've tried to go to the "view" menu and reset defaults, I've tried a command prompt...
  6. Files won't show. File explorer blank

Files won't show. File explorer blank: I've been working on my computer all day. Just an hour or two ago it started slowing down. I made sure every thing was okay in my task manager and then I scanned for viruses, but nothing turned up. I've repeated those things several times, and i still lag/won't see any files...
  7. File Explorer is a complete mess

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer is a complete mess: Running Windows 10 Pro 1909 (not updating to 2004 until I know it's safe). Symptoms: - Right-click to open a second FE window either doesn't work, or takes over a minute to open - FE search bar doesn't register the first few keystrokes entered into the field - FE search...
  8. File Explorer ribbon is blank

File Explorer ribbon is blank: [ATTACH]A couple days ago after Windows did an update, suddenly the Ribbon in File Explorer is always blank. Have done few more updates, hoping it would sort itself out, but it hasn't. Also started in Safe Mode, and it the issue is still there....
  9. File Explorer Icons blank

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Icons blank: After reinstalling Windows 10 my Word and data file icons were blank. I found in C:\windows\SHELLNEWthat the WINWORD8.DOC icon was blank so I changed it to the correct icon and itfixed my problems! See image: 90226
  10. Get a blank page in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Get a blank page in file explorer: Hello.When I type something into the address bar in file explorer I just get a blank page. For example I tried this %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows the green bar came from the left to right and the page was blank,Its always blank what ever I place in the address bar. Any...