Windows 10: File Explorer is confusing

Discus and support File Explorer is confusing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Somewhat new to Windows, after having used a Mac for several years. I find the layout in the File Explorer very confusing. It shows Quick Access, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by cgm707, Oct 16, 2019.

1. cgm707 Win User

File Explorer is confusing

Somewhat new to Windows, after having used a Mac for several years.

I find the layout in the File Explorer very confusing.

It shows Quick Access, I see two separate Desktop listings (contents not the same), OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, My User Name.

Why are there two Desktops? Is there a way to change the layout so it's not so confusing?

Thanks for any help!

:)

cgm707, Oct 16, 2019
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Oct 16, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Oct 16, 2019
  4. File Explorer is confusing

File Explorer

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on view option.
    • Click on preview panel to turn it Off and On.

Hope this information helps. If you have any further queries related to Windows, let us know.
    We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer is confusing

1. File Explorer is confusing - Similar Threads - File Explorer confusing

2. Explorer Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer Confusion: I find File Explorer in Windows 11 very confusing and I have many questions but I'll start with this one and see if it helps.I'm used to only seeing one "Desktop" folder in windows and that resided on the c drive. Now, when I open explorer in Windows 11 I have 3 Desktop...
  3. Explorer Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer Confusion: I find File Explorer in Windows 11 very confusing and I have many questions but I'll start with this one and see if it helps.I'm used to only seeing one "Desktop" folder in windows and that resided on the c drive. Now, when I open explorer in Windows 11 I have 3 Desktop...
  4. Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion: Windows 10 file explorer properties and such state that the file/folder sizes are in KB =1,000 bytes, MB =1,000 KB, GB =1,000 MB. As I understand KB = kilobytes, MB = megabytes and GB = gigabytesWhen converting from bytes into either 3 units, the number comes out different...
  5. Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion: Windows 10 file explorer properties and such state that the file/folder sizes are in KB =1,000 bytes, MB =1,000 KB, GB =1,000 MB. As I understand KB = kilobytes, MB = megabytes and GB = gigabytesWhen converting from bytes into either 3 units, the number comes out different...
  6. Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. OneDrive file structure confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive file structure confusion: Hello,I reset my computer and I deleted all the files from OneDrive folder and uninstalled oneDrive from Control Panel. Now the problem is I do not have Desktop and other folders. So from my understanding, My PC was using OneDrive's 'Desktop' folder. But I do not want to use...
  8. File tree confusion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File tree confusion: I'm using Windows 10. Trying to understand OneDrive and how to find documents in various locations. There's "OneDrive - Personal" where some files get stored, apparently, but that doesn't show up when I click on File Explorer on my desktop computer. Instead I see three major...
  9. A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature?

in Windows 10 Support
    A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature?: Hi, in the ribbon there are two instances of 'Type' when specifying search parameters. [img] The upper one is actually 'Kind' - the kind of file e.g. video, picture etc and is expressed as kind:= in the search field. The lower is the file type, expressed as type: in...
  10. File corrupted on USB flash drive or windows explorer confused?

in Windows 10 Support
    File corrupted on USB flash drive or windows explorer confused?: Have a new flash drive/stick. I copied some .MP4 videos to the drive for my TV. When I try to play them on my computer from the flash drive they dont play. I can play the original on the same machine. So deleted the flash copy and copied a new version. Same result. When I...