Windows 10: File Explorer is generating a recursive list of files in a folder.

Discus and support File Explorer is generating a recursive list of files in a folder. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One of my directories has a sub-folder that contains another folder with the same name. It contains a sub-folder with the same name and this goes on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GaryBro, Jun 7, 2021.

1. GaryBro Win User

File Explorer is generating a recursive list of files in a folder.

One of my directories has a sub-folder that contains another folder with the same name. It contains a sub-folder with the same name and this goes on and on I assume for hundreds of levels. I can create a new folder in a sub level and it automatically creates the same folder in all the above folders. This is on a new laptop after loading some software on it.All Users--- Adobe--- Application Data------ Adobe------ Application Data--------- Adobe--------- Application Data--------- Folder 1--------- Folder 2--------- Folder 3

:)

GaryBro, Jun 7, 2021
  2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jun 7, 2021
  3. regan1985 Win User
    making file lists

ok i have tried it and i got it to work thanks

but my next problem is it only lists the folders not the files??

regan1985, Jun 7, 2021
  4. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jun 7, 2021
Thema:

1. File Explorer is generating a recursive list of files in a folder. - Similar Threads - File Explorer generating

2. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  3. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  4. Deleting recursive folders - file path too long

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting recursive folders - file path too long: When trying to remove certain recursive folders, I get this error.rmdir : The tag present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. At line:1 char:1 + rmdir GoK + ~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : WriteError: C:\Users\... [Remove-Item], IOException + FullyQualifiedErrorId :...
  5. File Listing in Folders

File Listing in Folders: Why does Windows 10 Explorer not display ALL of the files in a designated folder? I have an App Finale Print Music 2014 that I used to create new music encryptions; then saved to a designated folder. Then I call up Win Ex that folder, but the new entry may or not appear. I...
  6. List folder files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List folder files.: How can I fall in love with all the files in a folder starting from 1 to the number of files that the folder contains. It could be some .bat or some advice thanks 164506
  7. Changing listing order of files and folders in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing listing order of files and folders in File Explorer: Microsoft is engaged in an annoying game of intentional behavior modification. Win 10 is making everything default to the OneDrive folder, and they're putting the OneDrive listing prominently so that if you aren't extra careful, you put your stuff in that folder and not the...
  8. recursively copy files

recursively copy files: I was wondering if there was a way to recursively copy files with windows for example I have an Adobe CD or DVD and there is a folder of fonts. Manually copying them is very tedious. so I was wondering if there was a way to do this with a batch file or shell script...
  9. File Explorer Changed Folder Display and Listings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Changed Folder Display and Listings.: In File Explorer under Downloads, the folders/files are listed as A-H, I-P, Q-Z, and Unspecified. How this happened, I don't know. What I do know is that I don't like it. How to get it back to Default? docs and Music and Pics are not like this. I'm at a loss. I've clicked on...
  10. File explorer keeps recursively searching into symlinks

File explorer keeps recursively searching into symlinks: Recently some folder permissions on my Windows 10 laptop were messed up, so I decided to reset all the folder permissions by running the following command: icacls "C:" /reset /t /c /l After the command had finished running, the folder permissions were reset to default, but...