Windows 10: File Explorer is really slow Win 10

Discus and support File Explorer is really slow Win 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, so I didn´t use my Microsoft Surface in a Month and now I have to study for a test but my file explorer is suddenly really slow. It takes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LoWag, Sep 28, 2019.

1. LoWag Win User

File Explorer is really slow Win 10

Hello,

so I didn´t use my Microsoft Surface in a Month and now I have to study for a test but my file explorer is suddenly really slow. It takes Minutes to open a file or folder, while the rest is working as fast as usual.

I tried ending it with the Task Manager and opening it again but it didn´t help and the Task Manager doesn´t show any high CPU usage or so.

I made a SFC scan which didn´t find any issues and all Windows Updates are up to date.

I don´t know if it helps but my files are backed up on my Onedrive but the essential files are available offline and my internet connection is fast. Furthermore, I don´t have any problems browsing my Onedrive files on any other devices on the same Wifi.

I hope someone can help me.

Best regards,

Loic Wagner.

:)

LoWag, Sep 28, 2019

2. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Sep 28, 2019
  3. razghost Win User
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer is really slow Win 10 - Similar Threads - File Explorer really

2. Win 10 - File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 - File Explorer: Is it possible to always have column headings in File Explorer regardless of view mode? I sometimes like to sort my large file icons by date modified or size etc ... without having to do multiple sorting. Thanks....
  3. files open really slow in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    files open really slow in windows 10: Windows 10 laptopX1 Carbon 7th gen core I7 16 GB ram This is the problem. Whenever open filesexcel, word doc, pdf from either the desktop or the folder it takes 1-2 minutes. Super slow. If I open file from within adobe, excel or word app the file opens quickly. When it takes...
  4. Win 10 slow to open network in File Explorer

Win 10 slow to open network in File Explorer: This is a small but annoying problem. When I click on the "Network" link in File Explorer, it takes a long time to open. It's only a couple of minutes but it seem to take forever compared to opening other folders. If I open the network from two other computers on the...
  5. File Explorer crashes or is really slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer crashes or is really slow: Windows 10 Pro No trouble viewing c drive. Right click it and File Explorer freezes. Open another File Explorer window, some mapped Windows 10 drives to not appear. What to do?...
  6. Windows File Explorer really slow when opening a file

Windows File Explorer really slow when opening a file: Hello, recently my Windows File Explorer has been really slow. Whenever I open a file or open File Explorer it freezes for about 10-20 seconds. After that it works just fine and I can navigate to any file I want, it's only when I open up a file from my desktop or try to open...
  7. Explorer really slow - windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer really slow - windows 10: I am having an odd issue. Opening windows explorer takes several minutes. Even if I just try to save something in an application. I'm at a loss. Things I've tried: Rebuilding the index Unpinning everything from quick access Running these commands in powershell: DISM...
  8. Did a Windows 10 Update and file explorer is really slow in opening

Did a Windows 10 Update and file explorer is really slow in opening: I did an update last week on Windows 10 and the 1903 update today. File explorer has really been slow after those updates. Please advise on what to do. Thank you....
  9. Windows 10 really, really, really slow!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 really, really, really slow!: My son's computer is suddenly incredibly slow, like 4 or 5 mins from a mouse click to a response. I have tried all the "Windows is running slow" fixes, but since I can't open any settings apps, I am really stuck. I have tried rebooting in safe mode, but it won't - I have...
  10. Win 10 really?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 really?: Have a Packard Bell laptop with Win 8.1. Recently gave in to the constant reminders to upgrade to Win 10. I am not very computer savvy but followed the idiots guide and presided over the magical upgrade. I am now left with a laptop that opens with the PB logo then turns of/on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer search in onedrive is very slow

2. slow file explorer win10