Windows 10: File Explorer is very slooooow

Discus and support File Explorer is very slooooow in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running W10 Pro on a new build PC with plenty of resources but still the File Explorer is very slow. Ive seen a hundred different opinions/posts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rocks911, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM.

1. rocks911 Win User

File Explorer is very slooooow

I am running W10 Pro on a new build PC with plenty of resources but still the File Explorer is very slow.

Ive seen a hundred different opinions/posts about how to speed up File Explorer but I thought I'd ask the experts. Most of the files I deal with are videos. When I have to sort by date/type/size/whatever it takes a half minute or longer to sort the content.

What do I need to do to speed this up? This is the only laggy part of my machine and it frustrates me so.

:)

2. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

4. File Explorer is very slooooow

File Explorer

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on view option.
    • Click on preview panel to turn it Off and On.

Hope this information helps. If you have any further queries related to Windows, let us know.
    We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 4, 2018 at 1:23 PM
Thema:

File Explorer is very slooooow

1. File Explorer is very slooooow - Similar Threads - File Explorer very

2. File Explorer is very slooooow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer is very slooooow: I am running W10 Pro on a new build PC with plenty of resources but still the File Explorer is very slow. Ive seen a hundred different opinions/posts about how to speed up File Explorer but I thought I'd ask the experts. Most of the files I deal with are videos. When I have...
  3. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer: When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The delay is approx. 5 - 20 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time. I have searched the web and I used the command line SFC...
  4. Internet Explorer is very Slow...

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer is very Slow...: When I first upgraded IE was OK but for some unknown it has become very slow. What can I look for? 28645
  5. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files: Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away. I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV...
  6. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files: I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that share from a Win 7 PC it opens pretty much instantly, but to open it from my Win 10 PC takes for ever. The green progress bar...
  7. File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files: Hi there If you have Loads (and I mean Loads) of small files - e-books, excel data. word docs, emails etc etc then File explorer runs REALLY slow on even fast devices I gave up moving this lot after about 4 hours. (W10 machine). Switched to Linux system -- did it in...
  8. 1 very annoying file explorer habit

in Windows 10 Support
    1 very annoying file explorer habit: I open file explorer and start boring down to my intended destination. When I'm about there, explorer I guess has now found the network and the left panel of explorer scoots back to the top. Is there a setting, like maybe delay looking for the network after explorer is opened...
  9. File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer: I have an issue relating to File Explorer. I have 3 internal HDDs, namely C, D and E drives. They all appear correctly under 'ThisPC', however the E drive doesn't show outside of this, as the C and D drives do (see various images). Is there a way to have the E drive displayed...
  10. FIle Explorer - Very weird problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    FIle Explorer - Very weird problem.: Running Windows 10 x64 Pro RTM will all updates. In a nutshell everytime I bring up File Explorer in normal mode it appears in a new position. It is always a little lower down and a little to the right. I have a dual monitor setup even though I doubt this is the problem....