Windows 10: File Explorer is very slooooow

Discus and support File Explorer is very slooooow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am running W10 Pro on a new build PC with plenty of resources but still the File Explorer is very slow. Ive seen a hundred different opinions/posts... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rocks911, Dec 4, 2018.

1. rocks911 Win User

File Explorer is very slooooow

I am running W10 Pro on a new build PC with plenty of resources but still the File Explorer is very slow.

Ive seen a hundred different opinions/posts about how to speed up File Explorer but I thought I'd ask the experts. Most of the files I deal with are videos. When I have to sort by date/type/size/whatever it takes a half minute or longer to sort the content.

What do I need to do to speed this up? This is the only laggy part of my machine and it frustrates me so.

:)

rocks911, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

File explorer icon from taskbar dissappears while working on it

Hi,

To assist you with your concern, we suggest you pin the File Explorer from the Start Menu by following these steps:

• Click the Start Menu.
    • Right-click File Explorer.
    • Choose Pin to taskbar.

If you need further assistance, feel free to reply to this post.

Ralph Sta, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Dec 4, 2018
  4. File Explorer is very slooooow

File Explorer

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on view option.
    • Click on preview panel to turn it Off and On.

Hope this information helps. If you have any further queries related to Windows, let us know.
    We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer is very slooooow

1. File Explorer is very slooooow - Similar Threads - File Explorer very

2. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  3. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  4. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  5. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  6. Very slow show of files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow show of files in Explorer: Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check...
  7. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  8. W10 responding very slooooow to create new folder -

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    W10 responding very slooooow to create new folder -: Only difference is that I have installed a couple of drives - probably not germane to this discussion. Now when I right-click on a folder to add a sub-folder I get a long delay. 15-40 seconds or never. This is annoying and wasn't an issue during my 20 years or so of using...
  9. File Explorer is very slooooow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer is very slooooow: I am running W10 Pro on a new build PC with plenty of resources but still the File Explorer is very slow. Ive seen a hundred different opinions/posts about how to speed up File Explorer but I thought I'd ask the experts. Most of the files I deal with are videos. When I have...
  10. FIle Explorer - Very weird problem.

in Windows 10 Support
    FIle Explorer - Very weird problem.: Running Windows 10 x64 Pro RTM will all updates. In a nutshell everytime I bring up File Explorer in normal mode it appears in a new position. It is always a little lower down and a little to the right. I have a dual monitor setup even though I doubt this is the problem....