Windows 10: File Explorer Issues After updating

Discus and support File Explorer Issues After updating in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Today, I notice that my file explorer has some problems. It is probably because of the today's Windows updates. Here are the problems: 1. the status... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BrendanSnell, Oct 18, 2018.

1. File Explorer Issues After updating

Today, I notice that my file explorer has some problems. It is probably because of the today's Windows updates.

Here are the problems:
    1. the status bar of file explorer: If I select some files, the status bar won't show how many files/folders in the folder I have selected. Also, the number of how many files are in the folder is wrong. It may work sometime, but most of the time it looks like
    "being frozen".
    2. files' sorting is much slower than before, even though there are only ten files in this folder.

No programs that take lots of CPU/memory resources were run when these problems occurred.
    No file transfer or other files/folder operations were being done at that time.

I have used the DISM and SFC to check and repair system files. No unexpected abnormal files were found.

I didn't install any software or change hardware or modify system configuration.

Thank you.

:)

BrendanSnell, Oct 18, 2018
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Oct 18, 2018
  3. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Oct 18, 2018
  4. John Ado Win User

File Explorer Issues After updating

File Explorer resetting to Details after Anniversary Update

Hi,

Let's get this sorted out. We suggest you try these troubleshooting steps:

• Start the Windows in clean boot. To do this, follow the steps
      here
    • Once in clean boot environment, change the settings again to set it back to
      List
      . Normally, changing the view style in the bottom right of the window and exiting File Explorer should do the trick. The next time you open File Explorer, it should default to the last view style selected.
    • If the issue persist, let's run SFC scan to look for corrupted files. Here's
      how
    • Restart the computer normally.

Share with us the results.

Thanks.

John Ado, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer Issues After updating

1. File Explorer Issues After updating - Similar Threads - File Explorer Issues

2. Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?: Constant crashes of file explorer with this build. Seems to occur with like every other build. Microsoft will finally fix it with one build and then break it AGAIN with the next build. File explorer especially crashes with my Samsung S23 Ultra when connected by USB-C to...
  3. Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Anyone else having issues with File Explorer after the update to 23H2?: Constant crashes of file explorer with this build. Seems to occur with like every other build. Microsoft will finally fix it with one build and then break it AGAIN with the next build. File explorer especially crashes with my Samsung S23 Ultra when connected by USB-C to...
  4. File Explorer issues after update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer issues after update: My computer had just updated and I've immediately noticed a few new issues. My main one seems to be that my folder tree seems completely unresponsive when I navigate through my folder, as in, when I enter a new folder it no longer shows up after it's parent folder and so on...
  5. File Explorer Issues

File Explorer Issues: Over the last 2 weeks, whenever I attempt to open a .mov or .mp4 file, File Explorer immediately shuts down and I cannot access any of these files. My computer is up to date and all updates are current. Is some some glitch going on with File Explorer?...
  6. FILE EXPLORER CHANGE AFTER AN UPDATE

FILE EXPLORER CHANGE AFTER AN UPDATE: After I receive a windows update and use file explorer it will remain on the last sub folder that I used rather than going back to the main folder. I really like when it stays on the last sub folder but this stops days afterwards. I don't see a setting to keep this as a...
  7. After newest windows update, File Explorer has issues.

After newest windows update, File Explorer has issues.: After the latest windows 10 update, all of a sudden my file explorer has issues copying/cutting and pasting into the same folder or another folder. The dialog box showing file transfer status pops up but never does anything. Even if the file/folder size is even less than...
  8. File Explorer issue

File Explorer issue: When opening a folder/file in File Explorer from the Quick Access items, File Explorer (sometimes, but not always) will open up the tree under "This PC". This often takes me to sub-sub-sub-folders of the Quick Access item, and because the tree is so large, my Quick Access...
  9. Issues with File explorer in dark theme after Windows update.

Issues with File explorer in dark theme after Windows update.: Hi I have a problem in file explorer when I am in light mode and highlight a file it shows all the information about file (ie) when and what time it was downloaded, in dark mode if I highlight same file I cannot see information the writing is extremely hard to read. Can...
  10. Dark File Explorer Issue after 1803 October update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Dark File Explorer Issue after 1803 October update.: Hello I'm new to this forum. I was using Windows with Ease of Access and after updating to 1803 and selecting the dark theme File Explorer remained white as well as Control Panel, etc. - When googling this issue it instructs to Personalise/Colors/Select Dark but it didn't...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. updating file explorer issues

2. windows explorer issues with pdf and updating explorer window