Windows 10: File Explorer Issues After Win 10 Upgrade - Thinking Out Of The Box

Discus and support File Explorer Issues After Win 10 Upgrade - Thinking Out Of The Box in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My experience after upgrading from Win 7 to 10: Things went fine for a few days - I left everything pretty untouched just to get used to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dehalley, May 19, 2016.

1. dehalley Win User

File Explorer Issues After Win 10 Upgrade - Thinking Out Of The Box

My experience after upgrading from Win 7 to 10:

Things went fine for a few days - I left everything pretty untouched just to get used to the changes.

Suddenly, I couldn't drag and drop between panes in Explorer - got the old slashed circle symbol. Logged on with the Admin account and the problem wasn't there - so I figured it was a permissions issue with my regular account. Checked that account and nothing had changed. Checked to see if there were any MS updates - no.

In an attempt to change things up, I used Explorer's configuration tool to have it open with a different view (This PC). Next time I tried to launch it, I instead got an error message 'Can't find ". Please check your spelling ...'. Tried Start - Search - File Explorer - (launch)" and got a different error message, 'Can't find [[800fc67b0 ...' . Tried drilling down to the Explorer component of various Windows tools and they worked. It was just the direct launch that failed.

I came to this forum and found many older posts that described similar issues, but no real answers (Yes, I actually tied them all - spent an entire day at this because I use File Explorer a whole lot). Nothing changed.

It began to dawn on me that I was going to have to roll back the Win 10 upgrade and reapply it, but my instinct told me that this would in all probability only introduce a new set of issues. The next option was to do a reinstall of Win 10 over my current one, but while I was confident that my data would remain untouched, I fretted about the condition of all my installed applications.

It finally occurred to me that if my browser or word processor program was broken and couldn't be fixed, I would just switch to another, and that I should consider doing the same to solve this problem. Luckily, there are many alternative programs out there.

I settled on Explorer++ (Explorer++ - A small and fast file manager for Windows), as it is available for a donation of my choice and doesn't come bundled with a bunch of unwanted crapware. I installed it, chose the option for it to replace Explorer for all folders, and it seems to work exactly as advertised.

I can't close this without bemoaning the fact that there doesn't seem to be a way to report an issue such as this to someone at MS who can actually ask the right questions and get to the heart of the problem. I am a lifelong systems and application programmer, and my opinion is that even if the issue was caused by some random third-party vendor (seems unlikely, as it didn't occur until I used Explorer itself to change options), Windows users should have the means to recover without a complete re-install just for one misbehaving program.

So, if you're someone who can't get File Explorer to work right, you should consider using another product. This has worked out great for me!

:)

dehalley, May 19, 2016
  2. mrbillz Win User

Win 10 Pro file explorer lockup opening NAS drives

greetings,

Win 10 pro upgrade from 8.1 pro on Hannspree netbook. Install went well, now when trying to access 2 different NAS boxes on my non domain network (simple workgroup setup) file explorer can't seem to access either of the drives, and when trying to abort the
    attempt, file explorer locks up for about 20 seconds. Somewhere in the process I picked up a persistent error that the temp file removal failed, and this now persists even after reboots.

Had no issues w/ NAS file access while under win 8.1. No config changes to either the NAS boxes or the win install that I have made. Also, no issues accessing from my other win 7 computers.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

WRS

mrbillz, May 19, 2016
  3. Deygus Win User
    File Explorer in Windows 10 keeps crashing

I have this problem as well and can confirm that it's an issue somewhere inside of Windows 10 and I have not yet found a fix for it either after several attempts. It happened after upgrading to Windows 10 even on a clean install of it a bit later on after
    having a crash where Win 10 failed on me for some odd reason. I've never had a file explorer issue with the previous version Win 8.1

Deygus, May 19, 2016
  4. File Explorer Issues After Win 10 Upgrade - Thinking Out Of The Box

Solved by Thread Starter - replying to move off unanswered queue

Slartybart, May 24, 2016
Thema:

File Explorer Issues After Win 10 Upgrade - Thinking Out Of The Box

1. File Explorer Issues After Win 10 Upgrade - Thinking Out Of The Box - Similar Threads - File Explorer Issues

2. After Win 11 upgrade from Win 10, File Explorer and taskbar not working at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After Win 11 upgrade from Win 10, File Explorer and taskbar not working at all: Hello I just upgraded Win 11 from Win 10. Nothing is working at all after that. File explorer is irresponsive and I can open nothing basically, taskbar doesn't work and there is no search bar either. If any application like browser opens after ages I cant see on the taskbar....
  3. After Win 11 upgrade from Win 10, File Explorer and taskbar not working at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After Win 11 upgrade from Win 10, File Explorer and taskbar not working at all: Hello I just upgraded Win 11 from Win 10. Nothing is working at all after that. File explorer is irresponsive and I can open nothing basically, taskbar doesn't work and there is no search bar either. If any application like browser opens after ages I cant see on the taskbar....
  4. I think my file explorer in Win 11 is corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think my file explorer in Win 11 is corrupt: How can I uninstall the File Explorer and re-install it? It's corrupt and I'm convinced of it. It always opens in "quick access" and it stalls....
  5. I think my file explorer in Win 11 is corrupt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think my file explorer in Win 11 is corrupt: How can I uninstall the File Explorer and re-install it? It's corrupt and I'm convinced of it. It always opens in "quick access" and it stalls....
  6. Win 10 file explorer's folder search box behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win 10 file explorer's folder search box behavior: When I open a folderby clicking its icon, and I release the mouse and start typing asearch term, the first character appears in the search box – but it ishighlighted and then disappears as I continue typing the remaining characters....
  7. File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues

in Cortana
    File Explorer Win 10 - Search Issues: Hi, I want to search for a certain word in a particular folder in File Explorer. This folder contains subfolders and documents like Word documents and others. Here are the issues: 1. Once in the folder, when I do Ctrl-F, I see the search box in the upper right, but: A It...
  8. Variety of issues with File Explorer and search box

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Variety of issues with File Explorer and search box: Hello, I seem to be having a variety of issues all of a sudden with File Explorer and the search box in the taskbar. I haven't installed anything new in that time or downloaded any files which may contain viruses, and I have run my anti-virus checks, and they said there...
  9. After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 File explorer has problems

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 File explorer has problems: File explorer fails when you click on the app on the task bar. Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.18362.628, time stamp: 0xc3041aa6 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.628, time stamp: 0xf96f12ee Exception code: 0xe06d7363 Fault...
  10. Programs issues after upgrading win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Programs issues after upgrading win 8 to win 10: I have had this Asus laptop for over a year (i3 4gb ram intel hd 4000 video card). With windows 8 64bit, I was able to run minecraft filling 1/2 the screen and firefox filling the other half with no issues. I would generally stream hulu or youtube while playing minecraft....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 upgrade file explorer issues