Windows 10: File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files

Discus and support File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Problem 1: I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RhinoCan, May 4, 2021.

1. RhinoCan Win User

File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files

Problem 1: I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two or more File Explorer windows open and position one where the file is and the other where I want the file to go; then I drag the file from the first window and try to drop it in the second. A lot of the time, this works just fine just like it is supposed to but sometimes, the move fails to start. The progress indicator comes up and is at 0% and simply stays there, no matter how long I wait. I've waited for HOURS in some cases just to see if it eventually starts but it never starts on its own no matter how long I wait. If I copy the file from one folder to the next via CTRL-C and CTRL-V, that always seems to be work, although I may have trouble deleting the original copy of the file. Also, if I reboot the computer, I can usually do the drag 'n' drop move successfully. I find this annoying and time-consuming so I'd like to find a solution for this issue. Problem 2: This problem began more recently. Sometimes, when I've drag 'n' dropped a file into its new folder and then try to rename it, Windows seems to try to do the rename but gets stuck right from the beginning. I get an hourglass and "not responding" in the window title and it NEVER gets past that even if I wait for HOURS. Even rebooting the computer doesn't help. I've got a couple of files that I've been trying to rename for DAYS and even despite multiple reboots, this same nonsense happens every time I try to rename them. (I'm trying to rename them in File Explorer, just in case that isn't clear.) Are there any known fixes for these problems? I'm running Windows 10, version 20H2. The second problem only began since I've had 20H2. The first problem predates 20H2 by at least one version.

:)

RhinoCan, May 4, 2021
  2. RhinoCan Win User

Problem 1:
    I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two or more File Explorer windows open and position one where the file is and the other where I want the file to go; then I drag the file from the first window and try to drop it in the second. A lot of the time, this works just fine just like it is supposed to but sometimes, the move fails to start. The progress indicator comes up and is at 0% and simply stays there, no matter how long I wait. I've waited for HOURS in some cases just to see if it eventually starts but it never starts on its own no matter how long I wait.

If I copy the file from one folder to the next via CTRL-C and CTRL-V, that always seems to be work, although I may have trouble deleting the original copy of the file.

Also, if I reboot the computer, I can usually do the drag 'n' drop move successfully.

I find this annoying and time-consuming so I'd like to find a solution for this issue.

Problem 2:
    This problem began more recently. Sometimes, when I've drag 'n' dropped a file into its new folder and then try to rename it, Windows seems to try to do the rename but gets stuck right from the beginning. I get an hourglass and "not responding" in the window title and it NEVER gets past that even if I wait for HOURS. Even rebooting the computer doesn't help. I've got a couple of files that I've been trying to rename for DAYS and even despite multiple reboots, this same nonsense happens every time I try to rename them. (I'm trying to rename them in File Explorer, just in case that isn't clear.)

Are there any known fixes for these problems?

I'm running Windows 10, version 20H2. The second problem only began since I've had 20H2. The first problem predates 20H2 by at least one version.

RhinoCan, May 4, 2021
  3. file explorer drag and drop

After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise.

HeikoWolff, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files - Similar Threads - File Explorer issues

2. Windows Explorer / File Explorer in Windows 10 Drag and Drop issues.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer / File Explorer in Windows 10 Drag and Drop issues.: Under 'This PC' I get the standard list in the Navigation plane of Desktop, Documents, etc. and then a couple of folders mapping to NAS drives, then Music, Pictures, then Physical drives on the PC then finally a Mapped Drive on a server. The issue is I don't always have the...
  3. file explorer drag and drop

file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  4. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag and drop files: i have a touch pad thing and i cant drag and drop files into a diffrent folder how do i do this please help me, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-files/834e0054-f3ba-477b-839c-d09481300874
  5. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer: Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer. I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer....
  6. Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly

Can't Drag and Drop files from File Explorer suddenly: I was editing a video earlier today and dragged a file from file explorer into Adobe Premiere, but then immediately after it wouldn't let me drag the same file back in when I had deleted it from the timeline I was working on. I thought it was no big deal, just went to the...
  7. Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back

Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back: Hi folks, I'm getting frustrated today. Editing and moving a lot of files around today, and suddenly I notice that when I drag and drop a file from one place in a folder tree to another place a few branches away, WinExp shows the move... but about 5 seconds later, it just...
  8. Drag and Drop to move files not working

Drag and Drop to move files not working: Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407). I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did the following: 1. I dragged the folder to be moved with mouse. 2. Pressed Alt+tab to switch to the target folder. 3. The...
  9. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....
  10. File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work: Hello, when I try to drag and drop a file using file explorer, it shows a red "unavailable" icon. I also haven't found a way to disable the annoying time and date text at the bottom left of the lock screen (which was easily done in Windows 8.1 as documented on...