Windows 10: File Explorer: Issues with meta data

Discus and support File Explorer: Issues with meta data in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I am tagging all my photos right now. I am struggling with problems in File Explorer, when using multiple tags in combination with the search.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michael_Flury, Feb 2, 2021.

1. File Explorer: Issues with meta data

Hi

I am tagging all my photos right now. I am struggling with problems in File Explorer, when using multiple tags in combination with the search.

Issue 1 detail pane:

Without search, all tags are listed:

File Explorer: Issues with meta data 2e405ca7-b9fa-4b1e-a66b-332eda047d86?upload=true.png

With search, only a few tags are listed:

File Explorer: Issues with meta data 199d8b24-2a35-4fd4-8b41-494b477d533f?upload=true.png

Issue 2 group by tags:

Without search, all groups are listed:

File Explorer: Issues with meta data b90be20f-805d-44a6-ab55-fe0aafc33832?upload=true.png

With search, only a few groups are listed:

File Explorer: Issues with meta data 07c9293f-6b44-4819-ae69-04d23ddb50e4?upload=true.png

Remarks:

• I guess both issues have the same cause
    • It's not only about the tag meta data. Same behavior for other meta data fields like author.
    • Using W10 / v2004
    • I'm not exactly sure if it's the number of tags, or the total length of the tags that is causing the problem. I couldn't really find any logic in short tests.

I really hope someone can help me. At moment I would stop tagging my photos, since I can't trust to the File Explorer.

Thanks

:)

Michael_Flury, Feb 2, 2021

2. Best Meta Data Program for Movies for Windows File Explorer

I'm not looking for something like Kodi/Plex because not only is it laggy but also I feel that it's not customizable enough. Usually, I think that developers over-customize software with too many options. This is a huge problem today as it detracts from the productivity of the product but in Plex's case and its competitors, they make the program so heavy (slow) and non-customizable. If someone simply made a custom folder for my movie folder in Windows, I think it could do really well. Something similar to the Windows OS font folder. When you simply double-click the font folder, it directly brings up an entirely new interface.

Anyway, I'm looking for a program that automatically adds meta data to my designated movie folder in Windows 10.

Requirements:
    1. Automatically searches the internet to find the requested meta data
    2. Automatically filling in the meta data details for the movie file itself
    3. Inserting a covert art into the movie file itself
    4. Downloading a cover art for the Windows file explorer folder
    *It doesn't have to do all the above. Just most of them.

Possible Candidates:
    1. MetaX
    2. MP3Tag
    3. Movie411
    4. MyMovies
    5. Media Center Master
    I've done research and found the above. I haven't tried any of these so if anyone could let me know how they are, I'd greatly appreciate it. If there are other possible programs, please do let me know.

CerebralFreeze, Feb 2, 2021
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Best Meta Data Program for Movies for Windows File Explorer

Hi there

@CerebralFreeze

For command line -- If you know Linux then if you install package atomicparsley (free of course) then that can read and set metadata into mpeg-4 type files e.g iTunes type metadata

AtomicParsley

Read the documentation as it discusses programs that use this and I believe there might even be a Windows GUI .

However using VLC will also get you the appropriate data - which you can then tag insert manually

I think VLC does all this for you including thumbnails.

For example playing an episode from BBC R3's Composer of the Week - William Byrd

File Explorer: Issues with meta data [​IMG]

For Video - same thing and gets Codec and Metadata details as well if you want them.

File Explorer: Issues with meta data [​IMG]

(Running VLC on Linux but the VLC GUI is 100% identical on Windows- I tend to use a Linux laptop these days with Windows 10 running as a Virtual Machine)

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2021
  4. File Explorer: Issues with meta data

In file explorer, Windows 10, I created a list of files with some meta data, Frame Width & Frame Height. How can I put that list into a notepad file?

Here are the field numbers for your meta data items:

314 Frame height

315 Frame rate

316 Frame width

To get them recursively into a text file you would need a customised. File Explorer does not offer such an option.

Frederik Long, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer: Issues with meta data

1. File Explorer: Issues with meta data - Similar Threads - File Explorer Issues

2. where can I find the full list of file meta data File Explorer can parse use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where can I find the full list of file meta data File Explorer can parse use: hey community ,Anyone know where i can get a full list of the columns file explorer can read from a file type in my case the file types will be .mkv .mp4 and .mp3 . looking for all the meta data i can write to these explorer will actually read and display file explorer does...
  3. Best Meta Data Program for Movies for Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Meta Data Program for Movies for Windows File Explorer: I'm not looking for something like Kodi/Plex because not only is it laggy but also I feel that it's not customizable enough. Usually, I think that developers over-customize software with too many options. This is a huge problem today as it detracts from the productivity of...
  4. Explorer is freezing, while loading meta data of my RAW Images.....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer is freezing, while loading meta data of my RAW Images.....: Hello everyone, my explorer keeps loading and freezing when I open a folder with images. What could cause this problem? While windows is loading the image meta data the explorer freezes, I can not click anywhere.... Here is a Video of the issue I hope you guys have an...
  5. WMP meta data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMP meta data: Hi I have a question on why WMP seems to change meta data inconsistently. What is happening is: - I will go through the effort of updating a song's metadata (clicking on "Find Album Info") - The data will change, including the file name as per the settings in WMP and sorting...
  6. In file explorer, Windows 10, I created a list of files with some meta data, Frame Width &...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    In file explorer, Windows 10, I created a list of files with some meta data, Frame Width &...: I have all my movies in a folder/subfolders and can get all the file names, Date Created, File Size and also meta data: Frame width and Frame height. It's all list in the file manager window but how can I send the list with the meta data to a notepad file?...
  7. File Explorer Properties Details tab not showing all attributes of video meta data/tags

File Explorer Properties Details tab not showing all attributes of video meta data/tags: I am on HP Pavilion x360 with windows 10 1903. I have observed that details tab of file properties in windows explorer shows all attributes of mp4 files like artists, director, year etc. while for mkv files it just shows director, producer and missing other attributes such...
  8. any addins or workarounds to view PDF meta data in file explorer?

any addins or workarounds to view PDF meta data in file explorer?: We would like a way to show our .pdf meta data in file explorer. Is there a reliable add in or some other work around we can use in Windows 10 file explorer to show this? Thank you...
  9. What are [[meta]] [[meta-new]] files?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are [[meta]] [[meta-new]] files?: New to win 64 home. I use Total Commander with Show Hidden Files. but have [[meta]] and [[meta-new]] set not to show. What are they? 86335
  10. Windows Explorer not showing change in MP3 meta tag data...?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer not showing change in MP3 meta tag data...?: I have a program that changes meta data in MP3 files. I use it to change certain fields, and it works. However, afterwards when I right click the the MP3 file and choose Properties->Details, it shows no change. But when I open the same MP3 file in an audio program (eg....