Windows 10: File Explorer issues

Discus and support File Explorer issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every time I try open a document file explorer has a conniption fit. I've ensured my pc is updated, run checks on cmd prompt, turned off virus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ryanfritch, Jul 1, 2020.

1. File Explorer issues

Every time I try open a document file explorer has a conniption fit. I've ensured my pc is updated, run checks on cmd prompt, turned off virus protection, etc., and nothing seems to work. I was able to create a local account and file explorer seems to work fine on that one; however, I would much rather retain the current account. It seems that the files that cause the crash are Microsoft Office ones such as word, excel, and powerpoint. PDFs and images open without causing the issue. I can open these files by opening the application and browsing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

ryanfritch, Jul 1, 2020

2. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 1, 2020
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Jul 1, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

File Explorer issues

Cannot launch File Explorer from taskbar in Windows 10

Hi Juzzy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• First unpin the File Explorer from the task bar.
    • Press Windows + E.
    • And right click on File Explorer in the taskbar.
    • And Pin the File Explorer to Taskbar and Check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer issues

1. File Explorer issues - Similar Threads - File Explorer issues

2. File explorer issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer issue: When i open my laptop one file named user is automatically selected and keeps stopping other files to open.And when i opened file explorer multiple files already selected automatically and keep stopping other files to open....
  3. File Explorer issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer issue: I have an issue where two but not all of my local drives appear in File Explorer as separate entries in their own right, in addition to appearing as part of "This PC".This becomes more confusing when "This PC" is expanded as these drives appear duplicated and seemingly out of...
  4. File Explorer Issues

File Explorer Issues: I recently updated to Windows 11, and so far I have not had many issues. Except for one persistent issue. Whenever I open File Explorer, all of my files are there. But, when I open the file explorer to add a file to a program, my files just aren't there. I have tried most if...
  5. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Issues: I recently updated to Windows 11, and so far I have not had many issues. Except for one persistent issue. Whenever I open File Explorer, all of my files are there. But, when I open the file explorer to add a file to a program, my files just aren't there. I have tried most if...
  6. File Explorer Issues

File Explorer Issues: Could someone please help me? All I'm trying to do is turn on my search indexing so I can get File Explorer to work properly. I'm running Windows 11 Home, Version 22H2. My OS build is 22621.160. I have tried to delete and rebuild the index, but to no avail. I have also tried...
  7. The file explorer issue

The file explorer issue: The file explorer wont let me save any picture in other format then webp this started 2 days ago i cant anymore save to png or jpg etch where do i change this so i can save in the format the picture is like png etch .Tried 8 different browsers it has to be a setting on the...
  8. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Issues: Over the last 2 weeks, whenever I attempt to open a .mov or .mp4 file, File Explorer immediately shuts down and I cannot access any of these files. My computer is up to date and all updates are current. Is some some glitch going on with File Explorer?...
  9. File Explorer Issue

File Explorer Issue: Hello This has been going on for quite a while, but I'm finally frustrated enough to look for a solution. I'm trying to go through and delete files that I no longer need. Every time I scroll through the files on File Explorer, it keeps snapping back to an earlier file,...
  10. File Explorer issue

File Explorer issue: When opening a folder/file in File Explorer from the Quick Access items, File Explorer (sometimes, but not always) will open up the tree under "This PC". This often takes me to sub-sub-sub-folders of the Quick Access item, and because the tree is so large, my Quick Access...