Windows 10: File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Discus and support File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Anyone else have this issue? When right-clicking File Explorer in the taskbar, a jump list appears, showing pinned and recent folders or locations.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blueworld, Sep 25, 2016.

1. blueworld Win User

File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups

Anyone else have this issue?

When right-clicking File Explorer in the taskbar, a jump list appears, showing pinned and recent folders or locations. Mousing over these items should cause a small text popup to appear above the item that shows the full system path of the location:

File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups [​IMG]

The problem is the popups do not appear consistently. In some instances, they'll appear, in others they simply won't. They either appear immediately or not at all. Repeatedly right clicking the File Explorer icon and checking, the popups may work several times consecutively before they don't. It seems completely random and unpredictable.

The reason the feature is important to me is I often work with different subfolders with the same name that are located in different parent folders. When I see multiple instances of these subfolders with the same name, there is no way to know which parent directory they're from unless the popups with the full path appears on mouse-over. Without the popups, it becomes a guessing game.

This behavior occurs on multiple computers running Windows 10. Some are upgrades from Windows 7. Others are brand new OEMs with Windows 10 pre-installed.

Any ideas?

:)

blueworld, Sep 25, 2016
  2. Pokerfish Win User

File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently display folders' path on mouse over

Couldn't find anything on this issue.

When right-clicking File Explorer in the taskbar, a jump list appears, showing pinned and recent folders or locations. Mousing over these items
    should cause a small text popup to appear above the item that shows the full system path of the location.

The problem is the popups do not appear consistently. In some instances, they'll appear, in others they simply won't. They either appear immediately or not at all. Even when they do appear, exiting the jump list and immediately reopening it often finds
    them not appearing. It seems completely random and unpredictable.

The reason the feature is important to me is I often work with different subfolders with the same name that are located in different parent folders. When I see multiple instances of these subfolders with the same name, there is no way to know which parent
    directory they're from unless the popup with the full path appears on mouse-over. It becomes a guessing game.

This behavior occurs on multiple computers running Windows 10. I suspect a bug.

Any help is appreciated.

File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups [​IMG]

Pokerfish, Sep 25, 2016
  3. File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently display folders' path on mouse over

Hi,

In the light of the information given by you, please try to do a clean boot and check if it helps.

Putting your system inClean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform
    a Clean Boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

DISCLAIMER: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Please let us know if the issue is resolved or you need any further assistance,

Thank you,

Have a good day!

Amarjeet_Paul, Sep 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

That is not File Explorer that you are looking at. That is just recent items that you have been to in Windows Explorer, which is tied into IE and Edge. If you are talking about the balloon pop-ups, that is controlled in the preferences when you right click on the Taskbar, also in Files in Control Panel and in the desktop settings when you right click on the computer on the desktop or choose System in Control Panel.

bro67, Sep 25, 2016
  5. blueworld Win User
    Thanks for your reply.

Whatever "it" is exactly, all I know is, it does not behave consistently. This is so across multiple systems. Also, it isn't just recent items, but pinned items that fail to produce the popup on mouse over (when they should).

If the File Explorer setting you're referring to is "Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items," I already have that turned on.

Based on my tests, I tend to think this is a bug. Did you try reproducing it?

• Right click File Explorer in taskbar to open the jump list.
    • Mouse over any of the pinned or recent folders and see if the popup with the location path appears (as shown in the screenshot with the original post).
    • If it does appear, close out of the jump list by left clicking anywhere outside of it.
    • Repeat steps 1-3 until you find the popups not appearing. In my experience, it always occurs, even if not right away. And all too often when I need them most.

blueworld, Sep 26, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    You are correct. There have been some really odd issues with the latest updates being pushed for 1607 AU. Some are thinking about rolling back to 1511, since they did not have these issues with that edition.

bro67, Sep 26, 2016
  7. blueworld Win User
    I've observed this issue in both 1511 and 1607.

The only semblance of a trend is that the rate of occurrence is highest on a system where Windows and user data (and thus the locations in File Explorer) are on separate drives. There, the occurrence is probably around 70%. On systems where both Windows and data are on the same drive, the occurrence seems far less, perhaps anywhere from 10-40%.

I don't recall having this issue in Windows 7.

Anyone else able to confirm this issue in Windows 10? I've already confirmed it on five PCs (3 upgrades to Win 10, 2 brand new OEM pre-installs; 4 desktops, one laptop).

blueworld, Sep 26, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

The reason that the problem did not exist in Windows 7, is because they had not yet gone in and made the interface into a Tablet GUI. With 8 and 10 using GUI's that are written specifically for use on the Surface and other Windows capable tablets, you will see issues. That is why everyone that does not have a tablet uses Classic Shell or Start10.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  9. Tooltip info not appearing has occurred on every Windows OS (XP, W7 & W10) I've installed during the last 12 years.
    I can't remember if it happened when I ran W98SE.

Even Linux Distros aren't immune (Ubuntu & Linux Mint).

lehnerus2000, Sep 28, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Ubuntu's garbage gui and Cinnamon are really bad, next to the Mate Gui. The tooltips and balloons can be hidden via registry or third party utilities.

bro67, Sep 28, 2016
  11. I meant intermittently.
    Most of the time the tooltips appear.

When I couldn't get my ATI graphics card to work properly in Ubuntu 10.04, I swapped to Linux Mint MATE (because of Unity). *Smile

lehnerus2000, Sep 29, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    I went with Mint on the laptop that I was using up until I replaced it with this one. After their version 18 was released, it caused nothing but headaches. That was when I got the Macbook. I tried Mate on the Raspberry Pi 3 that I have to toy around with. The GUI is just too much of a heavy weight for it, vs. the Raspbian.

I do so much on the CLI side with Linux for servers, I do not even both loading up a GUI, unless it is for a workstation that I am trying to do cross testing of software.

bro67, Sep 29, 2016
  13. blueworld Win User

All I know is I never encountered this issue in Windows 7, which I used for the better part of 6 years. And because of the needs described in the original post, I definitely would have noticed if it was there.

For good measure, I tested a Win 7 system I had access to today and could not reproduce the issue.

I'm pretty sure this is a Win 10 bug. Possible it was present in 8 as well, but I skipped 8.

What's the best way to send a bug report?

blueworld, Oct 5, 2016
  14. It only occurs randomly (but often enough that I remember it).

A variation is that when you select an item in a folder, you see tooltips for all items, except for the selected one.
    This happened again on my W7 install yesterday.

Have you tried the Feedback Hub App?

lehnerus2000, Oct 6, 2016
  15. blueworld Win User
    I have noticed tooltips not showing up when hovering over files themselves throughout Windows Explorer as well as the Start Menu folder hierarchy in past versions of Windows. It was always a minor annoyance.

The behavior that's the subject of this thread does seem similar in a way. Yet I never encountered it prior to Win 10.

I submitted a report via the Feedback Hub. Here's hoping.

blueworld, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer jump list doesn't consistently show location popups - Similar Threads - File Explorer jump

2. A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list: New laptop only 2 weeks old with Windows 11 running... I have a handful of Excel files that I use regularly and have had them pinned in my taskbar Jump List for years previous laptop was running windows 10 and now on the new laptop, a couple of those Excel files that will not...
  3. A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A couple of Excel files will not show up in jump list: New laptop only 2 weeks old with Windows 11 running... I have a handful of Excel files that I use regularly and have had them pinned in my taskbar Jump List for years previous laptop was running windows 10 and now on the new laptop, a couple of those Excel files that will not...
  4. "Open File location" from Jump List Property

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Open File location" from Jump List Property: In Windows 7, I used to be able to right click on a jumplist item and then select "Open File Location".In windows 10 that extremely useful feature has disappeared. How can I get it back?...
  5. How to get file explorer jump list to show recent folders?

How to get file explorer jump list to show recent folders?: My file explorer jumplist is just showing the default pinned folders Documents, Pictures, Download, and Desktop. I unpinned them all and they went to recent, but no other recently used folders appear in the jump list. Back windows 8.1 when I opened a file, the folder it...
  6. Jump list File Explorer items not opening program

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump list File Explorer items not opening program: Hi, thanks for the welcome note. I have for many months been suffering from the Jump list items on File Explorer not opening the program or item- after clicking the jump list item nothing happens. However if I right click on the jump list item then the mini menu does say Open...
  7. list of files jumps to the top

list of files jumps to the top: It is the issue with File Explorer. When I open a long list of files trying to go through it, it suddenly jumps up, to the beginning https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/list-of-files-jumps-to-the-top/36787289-5415-4a6c-b104-b14b6199b826
  8. File explorer jump list broken since 1903 update - doesn't show recent folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer jump list broken since 1903 update - doesn't show recent folders: I used to have a list of recent folders in File Explorer under pinned folders. Now there is just one, the last one. How do I get the whole list back? I have 12 pinned items, which I had before the update. The 1903 update apparently now only allows one recent item. So how...
  9. Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows How to Enable or Disable Showing Remote Locations in Jump Lists in Windows When you right click or press and hold on an app on the taskbar or Start menu, it will open the app's jump list....
  10. File Explorer Jump List - Is This Normal?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Jump List - Is This Normal?: I have File Explorer pinned to the task bar. The Jump List shows pinned folders and recently accessed folders only. It does not show recent or frequently accessed files. Is this normal behavior, or did I break something? 53096

Users found this page by searching for:

1. location info doesnt show in file explorer