Windows 10: FIle Explorer keeps freezing

Discus and support FIle Explorer keeps freezing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This morning Windows Update applied 3 updates, KB4484126 for Office, KB4484238 for Office, and KB4549951 for WIndows 1909. Since then File Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DougK2, Apr 23, 2020.

1. DougK2 Win User

FIle Explorer keeps freezing

This morning Windows Update applied 3 updates, KB4484126 for Office, KB4484238 for Office, and KB4549951 for WIndows 1909.

Since then File Explorer has repeatedly locked up. It will quit displaying file previews in the preview pane, sometimes it won't even show the files in a particular folder, and eventually it becomes completely unresponsive and has to be killed.

Anyone know how to fix this?

:)

DougK2, Apr 23, 2020
  2. Erika Aro Win User

window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Apr 23, 2020
  3. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Hi Casey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the files/folders. I also appreciate your effort in trying to fix the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any specific error code/error message while trying to open the file?
    2. Are you aware of any recent changes made on the device?
    3. Which version of Windows are running on your device?

Refer the article Which Windows operating system am I running for the information.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1

Restart Windows Explorer

1. Click on Start, type in “Task Manager
    2. Now go to Process tab. Click on Windows Explorer and
      Restart.
    3. Then check the status of the issue.
    4. If the issue still persist, try with the method 2.

Method 2

I suggest you to try the suggested steps from the article Fix File Explorer
    if it won't open or start
    and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Apr 23, 2020
  4. FIle Explorer keeps freezing

File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Apr 23, 2020
Thema:

FIle Explorer keeps freezing

1. FIle Explorer keeps freezing - Similar Threads - FIle Explorer keeps

2. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  3. My file explorer keeps freezing my taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My file explorer keeps freezing my taskbar: So this happened around a month ago, or so. All of a sudden the task bar freezes , not allowing me to click on any of it's icons , some features also freeze like the ability to increase or decrease the speakers volume from my keyboard and changing the language using shortcut...
  4. My file explorer keeps freezing my taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My file explorer keeps freezing my taskbar: So this happened around a month ago, or so. All of a sudden the task bar freezes , not allowing me to click on any of it's icons , some features also freeze like the ability to increase or decrease the speakers volume from my keyboard and changing the language using shortcut...
  5. My file explorer keeps freezing my taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. File Explorer Keeps Freezing After I Open Files

File Explorer Keeps Freezing After I Open Files: So I have just started getting this issue in the last few days. The last modification I had to any files or anything in my system was deleting some old save files from a game I've played. However, ever since then when I open File Explorer and try to open a file, it...
  7. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer freezing: I have two machines one with Windows 10 Home the other with 10Pro, both are on build 19041.45 They have different security software and different applications but share the same recently introduced problem. File explorer freezes. I have tried most of the fixes that I find...
  8. File Explorer keeps freezing

File Explorer keeps freezing: When I open the File Explorer, I can see my folders and files. However a few minutes later File Explorer freezes. So I have to close the File Explorer then start it again...
  9. file explorer freeze

file explorer freeze: My File Explorer keeps freezing up. Can't move files, rename files, or even delete them without having it freeze up. Three month old computer and it hasn't worked correctly from the beginning. I have tried everything on the web it would seem but with no luck My system...
  10. Windows file explorer keeps freezing and crashing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows file explorer keeps freezing and crashing.: Hi. It's been more than one month that I'm having this problems with Windows 10 Enterprise. I don't know what's causing it, but here's whats happening: When some program, game or similar needs to open "open file" and even sometimes "Save file as", the windows from File...