Windows 10: File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

Discus and support File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksio89, Dec 25, 2020.

1. ksio89 Win User

File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

File Explorer keeps hanging when launching or when resizing the window. Some times it will un-hang by itself after a while if left alone, otherwise it will crash. I had an issue where Windows applications such as Task Manager or Settings where taking too long to launch from Start context menu (fixed with a sfc /scannow), but I don't know whether both problems are related or not. The delay is still present if opening File Explorer from the taskbar icon, while it opens instantly if using the Win+E shortcut.

Windows 10 build is 20H2 19042.685.

:)

ksio89, Dec 25, 2020
  2. SarahKong Win User

File explorer hangs

Sorry I got nothing more to suggest then.

File explorer hanging is an image issue. So if you can't do a repair upgrade or reset your PC then you can contact microsoft support directly to see if they have further steps but I am sure they are going to tell the same thing i did.

SarahKong, Dec 25, 2020
  3. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Hi Casey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the files/folders. I also appreciate your effort in trying to fix the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any specific error code/error message while trying to open the file?
    2. Are you aware of any recent changes made on the device?
    3. Which version of Windows are running on your device?

Refer the article Which Windows operating system am I running for the information.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1

Restart Windows Explorer

1. Click on Start, type in “Task Manager
    2. Now go to Process tab. Click on Windows Explorer and
      Restart.
    3. Then check the status of the issue.
    4. If the issue still persist, try with the method 2.

Method 2

I suggest you to try the suggested steps from the article Fix File Explorer
    if it won't open or start
    and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 25, 2020
  4. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

'File Explorer' hangs up and won't open

Hi Charles,

File Explorer is like the backbone of the Windows navigation, without it, you can't go anywhere and this issue is likely caused by corrupted system files. We suggest running the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) and System File Checker (SFC)
    tools to repair it. Follow these steps:

• Click the Start menu button, type command prompt, right-click on the result, and select
      Open as administrator.
    • Type copy and paste the following command-lines (press Enter each line and wait for each process to complete):

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc /scannow

Should the issue persists, please visit this article for some pointers.

Let us know how it goes.

Adrianne Buc, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens

1. File Explorer keeps hanging when it opens - Similar Threads - File Explorer keeps

2. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging: Hello, I desperately need some help to figure out what is wrong with my file explorer. I've been reading all the answers to similar questions and have performed all the suggested fixes - changed the display, changed Access to PC, run the Scannow and Restore Health first time...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging: Hello, I desperately need some help to figure out what is wrong with my file explorer. I've been reading all the answers to similar questions and have performed all the suggested fixes - changed the display, changed Access to PC, run the Scannow and Restore Health first time...
  4. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps Hanging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer hangs and loads files one by one when open folder: NOTE TO MICROSOFT EMPLOYEES AND INDEPENDENT ADVISORS: I kindly request that you don't reply with a generic copy/pasted wall of text until you've read this entire first post. No disrespect, I just don't want to waste anyone's time with suggestions that I've already tried or...
  6. Explorer hangs when opening a zip file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer hangs when opening a zip file: It typically remains unresponsive for 5-10 seconds until it finally display the contents of the zip file. Extracting files is also relatively slow. This is on a i7-U6500 with 16 GB LPDDR3 laptop, so that should not be the problem. I have no add-ons or extensions to Explorer...
  7. Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files

Windows explorer hangs when opening any Office files: I am using a Surface Tablet 6 with windows 10. When I try to open a Word, Excel, Powerpoint by double clicking on the file, Windows Explorer just hangs with the spinning wheel. I can open the files if i do it from the application. The files have been tested from onedrive...
  8. File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer keeps hanging and crashing and not opening: Totally frustrated. I am a SW developer for the last 20 years... And I cannot open the w10 file explorer without it being crashed or hanged. Sometimes windows will be kind and open it when right clicking and sometimes not. This is totally unbelievable. I even don't feel...
  9. Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder

Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder: Explorer hangs when opening OneDrive folder. If I start Windows (10) in safe mode then it will open the Onedrive folder fine, but fails to open the file successfully, the associated app will open but fail to load the file. I have done all of the basics such as sfc, dism and...
  10. Explorer hangs when trying to open share

Explorer hangs when trying to open share: I am trying to access a share on my desktop computer from my laptop. I can connect to the share and the share appears on the left hand side in Explorer, but Explorer hangs a lot when I try to get into the share or do other operations such as changing a folder name. Sometimes...