Windows 10: file explorer keeps opening itself

Discus and support file explorer keeps opening itself in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; (This is a new PC with Windows 10 home, version 1803, OS build 17134.619. With an USB external drive is connected (as d:\ drive), file explorer keeps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RogelioT1, Mar 6, 2019.

1. RogelioT1 Win User

file explorer keeps opening itself

(This is a new PC with Windows 10 home, version 1803, OS build 17134.619.

With an USB external drive is connected (as d:\ drive), file explorer keeps reporting problem (with the drive) and then opens the file explorer. This keeps going on and on by itself. Each time a "fix the error" notification pops up and I clicked "yes", but nothing happens. I had also done the troubleshoot (many times) from the "hardware and device" of "update and security" of "settings"; I was prompted to restart a few times, but still not fixed. I had also gone into "device manager" to make sure drivers of all "USB", "disk drive" and "storage controller" are updated (and they already are). I had also made sure the external drive is OK by using it on another PC.

:)

RogelioT1, Mar 6, 2019

2. Feb 2019: File explorer keeps freezing after opening a file

Hi Casey,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the files/folders. I also appreciate your effort in trying to fix the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you getting any specific error code/error message while trying to open the file?
    2. Are you aware of any recent changes made on the device?
    3. Which version of Windows are running on your device?

Refer the article Which Windows operating system am I running for the information.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1

Restart Windows Explorer

1. Click on Start, type in “Task Manager
    2. Now go to Process tab. Click on Windows Explorer and
      Restart.
    3. Then check the status of the issue.
    4. If the issue still persist, try with the method 2.

Method 2

I suggest you to try the suggested steps from the article Fix File Explorer
    if it won't open or start
    and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 6, 2019
  4. file explorer keeps opening itself

File explorer will not open on windows 10

In this case, it's possible that the File Explorer is set to open an incorrect/corrupted file location. To rule out folder path related issues, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Type Control Panel in the search box. From the search result, click
      Control Panel.
    • Select Small icons from the View by: drop-down list located on the top right side of the window.
    • Select File Explorer Options.
    • Under the General tab, select This
      PC
      from the Open File Explorer to: drop-down list.
    • Click OK.

Once you're done, open File Explorer again and check if the issue persists.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

file explorer keeps opening itself

1. file explorer keeps opening itself - Similar Threads - file explorer keeps

2. File Explorer keeps closing down by itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer keeps closing down by itself: On my work laptop file for the last few weeks file explorer keeps closing itself. It is driving me mad. Is there a way to sort this issue?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-keeps-closing-down-by-itself/53de4f5c-c6a4-4f86-8e0b-e70ff648d138
  3. File Explorer keeps closing down by itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer keeps closing down by itself: On my work laptop file for the last few weeks file explorer keeps closing itself. It is driving me mad. Is there a way to sort this issue?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-keeps-closing-down-by-itself/53de4f5c-c6a4-4f86-8e0b-e70ff648d138
  4. File Explorer keeps closing down by itself

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File explorer keeps not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer keeps not opening: My file explorer is not opening at all. It will just flash then immediately close. Nothing you can click. It happened a long time before and resolve itself. Now, I dont want to wait for it to resolve itself since I need to open my files inside it. Please help me. How can I...
  6. File explorer keeps not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps not opening: My file explorer is not opening at all. It will just flash then immediately close. Nothing you can click. It happened a long time before and resolve itself. Now, I dont want to wait for it to resolve itself since I need to open my files inside it. Please help me. How can I...
  7. File explorer keeps not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File explorer constantly opening "This PC" by itself.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer constantly opening "This PC" by itself.: Computer working normallyalbeit slowly except repeated unexpected openings of File Explorer, interfering with work. Tried : malware , sfc , DISM scans , ending and restarting via Task Manager, system restore, etc. It seems to occur when mouse is inactive for a short length...
  9. Explorer opening by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer opening by itself: This happened just now as I was reading an article via Chrome. I heard a sound on my speakers and then Explorer opened. It has done this many times recently. It opens but nothing happened. I've checked the Event Viewer but see nothing out of the ordinary. Is there something...
  10. Explorer opens by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer opens by itself: Always to the same place, the root of one of my network drives. When it happens I am using Chrome and reading something. Most likely the NY Times. Nothing is seemingly downloaded. There are no other user sessions besides my own. The OS is Windows 10 Enterprise. All...