Windows 10: File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display

Discus and support File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I open a new instance of File Explorer, it always opens up on my Left monitor which is not set as Main Display. I have tried dragging it over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BenjaminHull, Dec 2, 2020.

1. File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display

Whenever I open a new instance of File Explorer, it always opens up on my Left monitor which is not set as Main Display. I have tried dragging it over to my main monitor and closing it hoping that the new instance would remember the old one's position and re-open right there but to no avail. This is really annoying and Google isn't helping. Can anyone help me with this?

:)

BenjaminHull, Dec 2, 2020

2. File Explorer crashes Explorer.exe when Main Display is changed.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a second monitor to use on my Windows 10 PC. However, after doing so I've discovered that File Explorer no longer opens when I keep my original monitor set as the Main Display. The Desktop and Task Bar will quickly
    go away then reappear every time I try to open it.

Details about my monitor setup

• First Display
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 with latest drivers
      • Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (4K)

• Second Display
      • Intel HD Graphics 4000 with latest drivers
      • Resolution: 1920 x 1080

I've discovered the following:

• This only occurs when a signal is being sent to the second monitor.
      • If the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver is disabled, the symptoms won't occur.
      • If the second monitor is unplugged, the symptoms won't occur.
      • If the second monitor is plugged in but not turned on, the symptoms will occur

• If the second monitor is changed to be the Main Display, File Explorer will open just fine.
      • If my first monitor is the Main Display, this is when the issue occurs.
        • I've only just hooked up the second monitor, before this everything was fine on the first monitor.

TheIndieArmy, Dec 2, 2020
  3. "we are unable to display this view" message from tab in Internet explorer 11

Hi Thomas,

As there is no Open Button in the error display Window, I suggest you to click on the Right Arrow button in the bottom left corner and check if it helps or displays the full error message.

I suggest you to run the Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter by following the steps provided below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • Click on “Internet Explorer Performance” and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Billb1111 Win User

File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display

Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

Thanks for your suggestion.

As "recommended for Windows 10", "Photos" is the default app for "Photo viewer" (.jpg isn't really listed as the file extension in the settings).

Do you have another app you would suggest?

By the way, my photos open and display just fine, the issue is the general absence of thumbnails in File Explorer.

Billb1111, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display

1. File Explorer keeps opening on my second display and not my main display - Similar Threads - File Explorer keeps

2. "Make this my main display" Bugging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Make this my main display" Bugging: I have 2 monitors, my laptop's and an external one. I set them to extend, and my laptop's monitor gets set to "main display" by itself. My cursor is stuck in my secondary display and it wont go to the other display. This happens only when I set it to extend. I am currently...
  3. "Make this my main display" Bugging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Make this my main display" Bugging: I have 2 monitors, my laptop's and an external one. I set them to extend, and my laptop's monitor gets set to "main display" by itself. My cursor is stuck in my secondary display and it wont go to the other display. This happens only when I set it to extend. I am currently...
  4. File Explorer opens without displaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer opens without displaying: When I use win+E to open the file explorer, there are folders in the status bar, but there is no file explorer window on the desktop. I cannot view my files and folders....
  5. File Explorer opens without displaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer opens without displaying: When I use win+E to open the file explorer, there are folders in the status bar, but there is no file explorer window on the desktop. I cannot view my files and folders....
  6. My Main Display wont work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Main Display wont work.: So, about 1 year ago my Main display screen stopped working. I haven't been able to fix it so can someone give me some advice? All i know is that im using windows 10 on a HP laptop....
  7. My Main Display Goes Dim.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Main Display Goes Dim.: I have two identical monitors. Whenever I make either one or the other my main display, that monitor dims and the other brightens up. Any ideas? Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-main-display-goes-dim/b1a38e09-2537-4372-b5ac-90e1d7178ded
  8. Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display

Windows 10 Dual Displays - Keep my main display: I have been using Windows 10 on my Dell desktop PC for many years. I recently installed a clean installation & of course have all the updates. I have 2 monitors, my main Lenovo 24" 1920x1080 monitor display 2, and my 55" Samsung 4K HDTV configured 1920x1080 display 1,....
  9. How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display?

How can I get my main display to follow the mouse and show the second display?: I'm using a projector, and I want to be able to have my main display and the projector display be separate. I'm extending instead of duplicating on multiple displays, but I want my computer screen to show the projector screen when the mouse goes onto it so I can see what I'm...
  10. unchecking make this my main display

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    unchecking make this my main display: hello, I have 2 monitors ( 2nd one just set up), I noticed today that when I tried to open something on my main screen (1st one) it was opened on 2nd monitor, (note: it was not turned on). so I started trying to configure them so the screen that I wanted as main, would be...