Windows 10: File explorer keeps restarting

Discus and support File explorer keeps restarting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hay guys. I have windows 10. And i have a problem. I installed windows 10 several months ago on one partition of my hard drive. This partition was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SYOB SYOT, Feb 29, 2016.

1. SYOB SYOT Win User

File explorer keeps restarting

Hay guys.
    I have windows 10.
    And i have a problem.
    I installed windows 10 several months ago on one partition of my hard drive. This partition was just intended for testing windows 10, and i had another partition with my usual windows and one more with another (backup) windows.
    After i tested windows 10, i decided to move windows 10 from this partition to my partition where i keep my usual windows (for everyday use).
    Of course, i know that i am supposed to perform a clean install of windows 10 to that partition and just move my data from old partition to new partition.
    But since i have a lot of settings i made in windows 10 since installing, and if i clean install it on this new partition, i would need a couple of weeks of everyday job to set up this installation of windows on the same way the old one is set.

So, i decided for much much much faster solution.
    And that was, that i booted my backup version of windows. On that way, operating system would not have any locks on files on either this test partition with windows 10, nor on partition for everyday windows.
    So, what i have done is that i, of course, set up windows to show hidden files and to not hide protected operating system files.
    After that i took ownership of all folders on my testing partition, including all subfolders and files, and also granted myself full access to all of that folders subfolders and files.
    This is how i can access all files and folders on the disk, including protected, read only, system, hidden, and those for which usually we get access denied error (like for system volume information).
    After that, i simply selected all folders and files and moved it from the source (old, testing) partition to a destination (new, partition for everyday usage) partition.

I did not expected to get much from copy paste method, but i gave it a try anyway.
    And after that, i updated bcd to load windows from new partition.

Then i rebooted by using version of windows from new partition. (the one for everyday usage).

Surprisingly, despite i expected crashes and such stuff, everything worked fine, and windows booted normally from this new partition (the one for everyday use, the one on which i copied all windows files).
    Everything went fine, except, after i logged in i noticed that some microsoft programs were crashing.
    Third party programs, and most of microsoft programs are working fine, just some of them started crashing.
    Most notably, file explorer.
    When i log in, file explorer loads, and is loaded for like 20-30 seconds, after witch it crashes (without any message), and reloads itself within 1 second, keep running for like 5 seconds, and than crashes, and so on. It forms an infinite loop of 1 second crashing, and 5 seconds of execution before repeating the cycle.
    Also, internet explorer when launched keeps running for like 10-20 seconds, after witch it crashes without restart.

I have not noticed that other programs are crashing. For example google chrome works fine, control panel works fine, paint works fine, notepad, wordpad, registry editor, cmd, et cettera, they all work fine.
    I noticed just problem with file explorer and internet explorer (for now).

I want to mention: First, before either file or internet explorer crashes, i notice very high cpu usage of "desktop windows manager".
    And second, my guess is that this is because of incorrect paths. If i execute "set" command in cmd i see that most of the paths are wrong, id est, they are pointing to the old partition (the one from witch i copyed windows, partition for testing purposes.) this partition still has windows on itself, so, since this copy is the same like the one on that partition, all paths are pointing to valid directories. But on the wrong partition. I used setx command to change manually most of the paths to the correct new partition. However, some of the paths like "homedrive", or "userprofile", are automatically reset to the old partition (the one i copied windows from). I think this might be the cause of the problem. But i can not seem to make this changes permanent, despite that i use setx command instead of set command (setx writes to the registry). Most of the paths are fine, but several of them are reset back to original value when i restart cmd.

Another option is that some of the windows files might be corrupted. I checked with chkdisk, and sfc programs, but sfc says that it can not verify integrity, and it stops at 24%.

So, guys, do you know what can be the cause of this problem?

I know that i should had made a clean installation of windows, but, this method of simply copying files from one partition to another is much faster, and i know it can succeed, but it just needs some repairing.

Do you have any suggestions what i can try (except doing a clean install what i know i should have donE on the first place)? *Smile

thank you for reading.

:)

SYOB SYOT, Feb 29, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Feb 29, 2016
  3. File Explorer in Windows 10 keeps crashing

So after installing Windows 10, File Explorer keeps crashing

Say I'm looking in 2 folders at the same time, its a given that one of the folders will freeze, and control alt delete, restart windows explorer/file explorer is the only option.

Is there a fix for this?

skysimonephoto, Feb 29, 2016
Thema:

File explorer keeps restarting

1. File explorer keeps restarting - Similar Threads - File explorer keeps

2. File explorer keeps restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps restarting: My file explorer keeps restarting every 2 seconds. The taskbar is gone and the wallpaper and apps keep flashing. The only app I can open is cmd and I've tried just about every code I know there. When I try to factory reset it tells me it failed. I don't know what to do. I'm...
  3. File explorer keeps restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer keeps restarting: My file explorer keeps restarting every 2 seconds. The taskbar is gone and the wallpaper and apps keep flashing. The only app I can open is cmd and I've tried just about every code I know there. When I try to factory reset it tells me it failed. I don't know what to do. I'm...
  4. File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts: Hi. hope you guys doing great.My system information:Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 10.0 Build 22621Asus VivoBook 15 X570UDCore i7 8550U8GB RamIts now 2 days that my windows got a problem. File explorer keeps glitching opening and closing itself after I restart my windows.It will stay...
  5. File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer keeps glitching after windows restarts: Hi. hope you guys doing great.My system information:Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 10.0 Build 22621Asus VivoBook 15 X570UDCore i7 8550U8GB RamIts now 2 days that my windows got a problem. File explorer keeps glitching opening and closing itself after I restart my windows.It will stay...
  6. Windows Explorer keeps restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer keeps restarting: I get this error: Application: explorer.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c00000fd, exception address 00007FFBFA0517B8 <Event...
  7. File explorer along with taskbar keeps crashing and restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer along with taskbar keeps crashing and restarting: windows explorer restarting in every second the whole time my desktop is logged in. tried many "solutions" found online like changing folder options .. here i am adding my problem signature . also i can not run sfc /scannow , as it was mentioned being part of a fix or...
  8. Explorer Keeps Restarting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer Keeps Restarting: I think I have some registry conflicts. The battery/audio systray icons are no longer appearing, and the screen keeps flickering which causes applications to hang. Sometimes programs will even switch on their own. Any advice on this? This is really weird guys. If I use...
  9. Explorer keeps restarting itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer keeps restarting itself: When I open certain folders, Windows Explorer just restarts itself. There is no "explorer has stopped working" message and the screen doesn't fade as if it's hanging. Sometimes, it just closes the explorer window instantly when opening a folder and reloads the taskbar,...
  10. File Explorer keeps crashing/restarting/flickering

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer keeps crashing/restarting/flickering: I am having an incredibly frustrating set of problems that I believe started in the past two weeks or so. It's happening on two different computers but both are virtually identical: Windows 10, nVidia Quadro 4000m, Dell 5k monitors, and basically the same software installed...