Windows 10: File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore

Discus and support File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'll explain it with an example: before the 1909 update if I opened my System32, single clicked a random folder/file and pressed the letter "E"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Carlox97_, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Carlox97_ Win User

File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore

I'll explain it with an example: before the 1909 update if I opened my System32, single clicked a random folder/file and pressed the letter "E" multiple times, the selection moved to the folders starting their name with "e", and then files.

Now they changed this, and instead of doing that, the letter is typed into the search bar, up in the right corner...

I guess this is the result of their last update, is there a way to get back the past behavior?

:)

Carlox97_, Nov 24, 2019
  2. Jahrsper Win User

File Explorer jump list not working

Since upgrading to Windows 10, I've found that my File Explorer jump list don't work any more. The folders are still on the list, both pinned and recent, but clicking on them has no effect. I have to click the 'File Explorer' link and either use Quick Access
    or navigate to my destination myself. Quick Access is handy, but the jump list - and particularly the folders I'd pinned to it - has become my preferred way to get to my most important folders, and it's frustrating that it's no longer working.

I've looked at solutions on here to similar problems, including deleting files from 'AutomaticDestinations', but that hasn't helped. No other jump lists are affected - just File Explorer.

Thanks!

Jahrsper, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Teddy2016 Win User

Hi!

Okay yes. But you can also right click and pin to quick access. What ever is pinned in file explores quick access reflects in jump list. So if you drag a folder to file explore icon it should reflect in the quick access folder.

So in you case you can not launch the folder from the jump list. Plus you NAS folders. Which are network folders. Correct.

What I am doing is trying to recreate the issue locally so I can find the trouble. But no matter what I do my quick access and jump are working. So can you open the folders from the file explore tree quick access folder?

Teddy2016, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Teddy2016 Win User

File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore

Hi!

I have not been able to recreate the issue local. But I do remember unpinning the Taskbar file explore earlier then repining it.

So in the start menu the "file explore" link has a jump also. Does it reflect pined and do they work?? If so unpin task bar file explore, then pin the start menu file explore to taskbar. also does internet explore taskbar icon jump links work??

If this does not resolve you I will look at the jump list as it is kind of a context menu. Also I have show recently open items in Jump List or the Taskbar off in settings. I'm also on W10 pro no I have to check W10 Home.

Teddy2016, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

1. File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore - Similar Threads - File explorer Keyboard

2. File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files ignores all but the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files ignores all but the...: TO REPRODUCE ISSUE: open File Explorer, type a two-letter combo to EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR: jump down the list to items beginning with those two letters..ACTUAL BEHAVIOUR jumps down the list FIRST to the first item starting with [first letter typed]" THEN to item starting with...
  3. File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files ignores all but the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files ignores all but the...: TO REPRODUCE ISSUE: open File Explorer, type a two-letter combo to EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR: jump down the list to items beginning with those two letters..ACTUAL BEHAVIOUR jumps down the list FIRST to the first item starting with [first letter typed]" THEN to item starting with...
  4. File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files ignores all but the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer doesn't work in certain folders

File Explorer doesn't work in certain folders: Hi there!I work in sales and every year, I take all the quotes and orders I've done the past year and put them in a folder titled something like "Quotes 2021" or "Orders 2021". I regularly go back to those quotes or order to use them as a master or just to update the...
  6. File Explorer doesn't work in certain folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer doesn't work in certain folders: Hi there!I work in sales and every year, I take all the quotes and orders I've done the past year and put them in a folder titled something like "Quotes 2021" or "Orders 2021". I regularly go back to those quotes or order to use them as a master or just to update the...
  7. File Explorer doesn't work in certain folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore

File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore: I'll explain it with an example: before the 1909 update if I opened my System32 folder, single clicked a random folder/file and pressed the letter "E" multiple times, the selection moved to the folders starting their name with "e", and then files. Now they changed this, and...
  9. File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer: Keyboard letters to "jump" through folders and files doesn't work anymore: I'll explain it with an example: before this update if I opened my System32, single clicked a random folder/file and pressed the letter "E" multiple times, the selection moved to the folders starting their name with "e", and then files. Now they changed this, and instead of...
  10. Win10 - File Explorer "jumps" to top of folder

Win10 - File Explorer "jumps" to top of folder: Win10 - File Explorer "jumps" to top of folder I've been using Windows 10 since it came out in 2015 and this issue just started yesterday October 6, 2019. I found an old thread concerning this issue but my current windows settings are the same as those recommended in that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to jump to files in file explorer