Windows 10: File Explorer Latency Issue

Discus and support File Explorer Latency Issue in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Recently, File Explorer takes almost 3 seconds to open a new window despite running on decent hardware (i7-6700k, GeForce GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM, Samsung... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ethandrzb, Sep 7, 2020.

1. File Explorer Latency Issue

Recently, File Explorer takes almost 3 seconds to open a new window despite running on decent hardware (i7-6700k, GeForce GTX 1080, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro SSD). What's weird about this issue is that it's only present when I open File Explorer without a specified directory. In other words, if I open File Explorer to a specific folder (i.e. opening a folder from the desktop), it opens instantaneously.

It does not matter from where I run File Explorer (taskbar, start menu, executable, etc.). The issue persists regardless.

Fixes I have tried so far:

• SFC and DISM
      • No issues found from either tool
    • Restarting the computer
    • Ending the explorer.exe process and restarting it
    • Windows Update
      • I'm fully up-to-date on Version 1909
    • Updating graphics drivers (I came across a similar issue supposedly caused by Nvidia drivers)
    • Uninstalling programs installed the same day the issue appeared (mingGW-w64 compiler and a /u/ethandrzb
      [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ethandrzb, Sep 7, 2020

2. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 7, 2020
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

File Explorer Latency Issue

Cannot launch File Explorer from taskbar in Windows 10

Hi Juzzy,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• First unpin the File Explorer from the task bar.
    • Press Windows + E.
    • And right click on File Explorer in the taskbar.
    • And Pin the File Explorer to Taskbar and Check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Sep 7, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer Latency Issue

1. File Explorer Latency Issue - Similar Threads - File Explorer Latency

2. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Issues: I recently updated to Windows 11, and so far I have not had many issues. Except for one persistent issue. Whenever I open File Explorer, all of my files are there. But, when I open the file explorer to add a file to a program, my files just aren't there. I have tried most if...
  3. The file explorer issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The file explorer issue: The file explorer wont let me save any picture in other format then webp this started 2 days ago i cant anymore save to png or jpg etch where do i change this so i can save in the format the picture is like png etch .Tried 8 different browsers it has to be a setting on the...
  4. High latency issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High latency issues: Hi I’m getting extreme DCP latency, audio pop, crackle, distortion, frame drops, out of sync issues. I need to fix this ASAP for an animation music production project for my client. I’ve had this issue on and off for years with windows 10. Usually a rollback or fresh install...
  5. Audio latency issues

Audio latency issues: For a few months now, my PC has been experiencing latency spikes. Audio dropouts are exceedingly common, and I can't seem to properly diagnose what is causing this problem. This all started when I installed a new HDD, a WD Blue. Of note is that it spun at 5400rpm, which I...
  6. File Explorer Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Issues: Over the last 2 weeks, whenever I attempt to open a .mov or .mp4 file, File Explorer immediately shuts down and I cannot access any of these files. My computer is up to date and all updates are current. Is some some glitch going on with File Explorer?...
  7. Audio latency issues

Audio latency issues: For a few months now, my PC has been experiencing latency spikes. These initially manifested as no more than audio dropouts, but eventually have begun to escalate into visual dragging, as well. Audio popping is very common now, and the mouse dragging when I try to move it is...
  8. sound latency issues

sound latency issues: my laptop is a lenovo y530-ICH . I have serious sound latency issues. I have updated all drivers of software and hardware, set battery to performance, reinstalled Windows , disabled various applications , reinstalled drivers , made full scans, tried third party software, no...
  9. File Explorer latency / OneDrive

File Explorer latency / OneDrive: I recently seem to be getting the Windows wait cursor/latency on my Windows 10 Surface when I use File Explorer to either open a folder or left mouse-click or . I use OneDrive and have it set up so all my "Documents" folders and files I marked as "Always keep on this device"...
  10. File Explorer issue

File Explorer issue: When opening a folder/file in File Explorer from the Quick Access items, File Explorer (sometimes, but not always) will open up the tree under "This PC". This often takes me to sub-sub-sub-folders of the Quick Access item, and because the tree is so large, my Quick Access...