Windows 10: File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

Discus and support File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm evaluating Windows 10 for my company to check compatibility with our systems and general user experience. We're a small business, and we're... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AgentOddball, Aug 2, 2015.

1. File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

I'm evaluating Windows 10 for my company to check compatibility with our systems and general user experience. We're a small business, and we're presently running a mix of Win7 and Win8.1 machines, all running Pro and joined to our domain. The two machines I've upgraded to Win10 Pro both have the same issue:

File Explorer, when opened, has a loading bar that never finishes. It displays the text "Working on it..." in the file panel, and a very small tree in the folder panel, with just "Quick access," "Desktop," and "This PC" entries. Many controls in the ribbon are also greyed out, including Options, Open command prompt, and the layout controls. (See screenshot)

Possibly related, the recycle bin does not behave as expected. Even with files in the bin, the "Empty recycle bin" option is greyed out both in the ribbon and in context menu from the desktop icon. I can only fully delete files by selecting them within the bin and deleting them again. (See screenshot)

I've searched around for people with similar problems, but I found only one thread describing this issue, and with a preview build. That thread contained a work-around (start->run->c:\) which usually works for me, but which brings up a very quirky File Explorer window, with a folder pane that only shows folders I have actually navigated to using the file pane. It is workable, but I can't ask a normal user to live with this experience, so our upgrade plans are on hold until I can get this resolved.

Has anyone encountered anything like this? None of my personal machines, including a Surface Pro 3 now running Win10 Pro, are having this issue.

Thanks for your time/help!

:)

AgentOddball, Aug 2, 2015
  2. samQL Win User

Win10Pro File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

Hi AgentOddball

How could you stop these two services and disable them?

Every-time when I disabled them, they will automatically restart, especially for TDM service. And in the Services desktop app, the startup type selection is locked for TDM service. Could you tell how do you make it?

samQL, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Win10Pro File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

Fixed it!

Turns out some bloatware from the pre-upgrade Dell factory install was at fault. I noticed that two services were sitting there always using 15% CPU each. Disabling them fixed the problem immediately.
    Should anybody else come along and find this, here's what I did:

1. Open the Services desktop app.

2. Open properties for TDM Service.

3. Set startup type to disabled.

4. Repeat steps 2-3 for Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

5. Reboot.

4. File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

Update: Based on advice in another thread, I ran sfc /scannow, but it didn't find any integrity violations. After solving a horrible quagmire of driver issues and bluescreen loops on my Toshiba laptop after the upgrade, I'm about to pull my hair out at not being able to solve something so seemingly simple.

5. Nikorasu Win User
    Am so sorry for you. Windows 10 is a mess! I am having a similar problem on my Windows 10 Pro x64. I have a folder with lots of movies around 100Gb and file explorer want load all the thumbnails or icons for my files, I get the green loading bar that never finishes; same thing for my games folder. I never had this problem on windows 8.1 pro x64. Another problem is when I click a file lets say its a .mkv file or .mp4, or .PDF file, file explorer would freeze and I would have to kill the explorer.exe process and restart it again trough task manager. Oh and that not all, another problem is sound devices in the control panel will take long to load, when I click it compared to windows 8.1, which only took a second. Another problem I encountered is when I pin a app to the taskbar lets say the calculator app, the icon want show up on the task bar, but its there of course because I can click it and it would open, the icon just isn't showing up; some other apps I pin also have the same problem. My last problem I will say is Windows 10 takes longer to boot then 8.1, I even have a SSD. Sometimes when booting windows 10 I will get a black screen and have to wait awhile for the logon screen to appear.

Nikorasu, Aug 3, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    If two different computers have the same problem, it has to be the same cause for both of them. What happens if disable the network? And does the problem still occur if boot in safe mode? Also, search up the name of every program installed on the computers and make sure that they are compatible with Windows 10. 4 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 10

7. Hey, thanks for the ideas and the motivation to keep at this! I dug up a spare machine, clean-installed Win7 Pro, joined it to our domain, upgraded it to Win10 Pro, and observed that the problem was not present. Disconnecting from the network did not help machine 1 or machine 2. I'm starting to believe that the common factor between the two misbehaving machines is the software they were running before the upgrade. They're both Dell Optiplex 990s which were running from a Dell factory install prior to the upgrade, and were being used for software development.

Interestingly, both the misbehaving machines have the Dell TDM Service and the Intel RST Service running, each eating 13-15% of the CPU at all times. The clean install machine doesn't have either, since it wasn't upgraded from a Dell factory image. Googling around for details makes me a little anxious about trying to remove either program, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

As soon as I can get a free moment to try, I'll see if this still happens in safe mode. Depending on how that goes, I may try to remove those two services. If I wreck everything and the restore point can't save me... Well, sometimes a clean install is good for the soul. *Smile

AgentOddball, Aug 3, 2015
  8. File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble! I've had a great experience with Win10 so far, except for this Explorer bug and a bluescreen loop on my laptop (ended up being the driver WinUpdate was pushing for my Toshiba's internal WiFi card. Disabled it and used a USB dongle instead.). My gaming PC and Surface Pro 3 have been perfect.

My biggest fear right now is honestly the forced reboots. We have some in-house image capture and processing runs which we occasionally need to let run for 60+ hours over the weekend. They'll have my head if one of the processing computers decides to reboot itself at 3:30 AM on a Saturday. It's very unclear to me right now if the "Notify to schedule a reboot" option will wait for someone to come back and schedule, or if it'll just reboot anyway if nobody is around. I can't stand the idea of this company clinging to old operating systems on my watch, but a forced reboot of working machines is simply not workable. If that can't be worked around, there's no way I can move forward with the rollout. One problem at a time, though, I guess.

AgentOddball, Aug 3, 2015
  9. Fixed it!

Turns out the bloatware was indeed at fault. Should anybody else come along and find this, here's what I did:

1. Open the Services desktop app.
    2. Open properties for TDM Service.
    3. Set startup type to disabled.
    4. Repeat steps 2-3 for Intel Rapid Storage Technology.
    5. Reboot.

AgentOddball, Aug 4, 2015
  10. YOU
    You Win User
    Awesome! Glad solved the problem!

11. pbrawner Win User
    Thanks for posting. Just completed this action today. Have rebooted and so far so good. I've been opening and closing File Explorer, and switching between drives, in an effort to put it through it's paces so to speak. Hopefully this is the solution I've been seeking.

Thanks for your efforts to resolve this. If it proves not to be a permanent solution I'll let you know, so unless I post back assume it did. I also plan to forward this info to my tech guy. I think he would have figured it out at some point but I know he'll appreciate the info.

Thanks again!

pbrawner, Nov 21, 2015
  12. pcrf Win User
    AgentOddball is a Master!

I have just upgraded from Win 7 to 10 v.1511, got the same problem and was considering moving back to Win 7 after many pointless attempts to solve this annoying issue. Happy now! (I just had to deal with TDM, as I am not using Intel RST)

Many Thanks!

13. digler Win User

File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

I too had the locked up file explore problem. Icons would not display, the options under view were all grey and could not be selected, and when I clicked on This PC I got Working on it and it would not finish loading. I did what you suggested, note I did not have Intel Rapid Storage Technology, but I did have TDM Service.

It worked like a charm! Thanks for posting! Problem solved!

digler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

1. File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled - Similar Threads - File Explorer loads

2. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it": I have researched this forum and Google and I've done all that has been suggested to try to fix this very annoying issue but nothing worked - Nov 2023It continues to take a very long time to load - "working on it"Windows bug that never got fixedWindows is also up.to.date....
  3. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it": I have researched this forum and Google and I've done all that has been suggested to try to fix this very annoying issue but nothing worked - Nov 2023It continues to take a very long time to load - "working on it"Windows bug that never got fixedWindows is also up.to.date....
  4. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explore loads forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explore loads forever: We are currently suffering from an issue that 3 windows 11 users fail to open any directory or files with file explore.When user clicks on a file/dir, the cursor turns to the load icon and loads forever.Even if we kill and restart File Explorer/ restart the PC, the issue...
  6. File Explore loads forever

File Explore loads forever: We are currently suffering from an issue that 3 windows 11 users fail to open any directory or files with file explore.When user clicks on a file/dir, the cursor turns to the load icon and loads forever.Even if we kill and restart File Explorer/ restart the PC, the issue...
  7. Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load: Ever since I updated to Windows 11, file explorer takes FOREVER to load and when it does right click doesn't work at all inside of it. Everything else in Windows 11 is completely fine except the file explorer. Any suggestions?...
  8. Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load

Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load: Ever since I updated to Windows 11, file explorer takes FOREVER to load and when it does right click doesn't work at all inside of it. Everything else in Windows 11 is completely fine except the file explorer. Any suggestions?...
  9. file explorer Take forever to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer Take forever to load: Hi! It is a little bit difficult to explain my problem but I will try my best. When I try to open any folder on my Desktop it takes almost 2 minutes to do so, but when I got that open I can search and "drive" around with no lag or something like this, If I go to word for...
  10. File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever: Lots of computers on our domain reporting File Explorer not functioning at ALL. Sits with the Green Loading Bar, and returns nothing. Done all normal troubleshooting (Reset FE settings, Index settings, SFC, etc...) . Issues can be persistent or intermittent depending on...