Windows 10: File Explorer locking up computer since updating to Windows 10 1909

Discus and support File Explorer locking up computer since updating to Windows 10 1909 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am not sure if it is related to the search function as I noted on another earlier string that is closed, but when I have been trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mkcvinny, Mar 21, 2020.

1. mkcvinny Win User

File Explorer locking up computer since updating to Windows 10 1909

Hello,

I am not sure if it is related to the search function as I noted on another earlier string that is closed, but when I have been trying to transfer files from one folder to another and it asks if I want to select file versions, it seems to top at a percentage, then not only lock up File Explorer, but also my computer, so that I have to restart my computer.

Thanks,

Vince

:)

mkcvinny, Mar 21, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Mar 21, 2020
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

1. File Explorer locking up computer since updating to Windows 10 1909 - Similar Threads - File Explorer locking

2. Windows Explorer locks up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer locks up: It seems this has been a problem for many over the years for many people. I followed several of the instructions via Windows 10 File Explorer Hangs Or Freezes [Solved] silicophilic.com. No success. At one time, I disabled Quick Access and had no problems. But I like Quick...
  3. Windows Explorer locks up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer locks up: It seems this has been a problem for many over the years for many people. I followed several of the instructions via Windows 10 File Explorer Hangs Or Freezes [Solved] silicophilic.com. No success. At one time, I disabled Quick Access and had no problems. But I like Quick...
  4. Windows is not updating since version 1909

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows is not updating since version 1909: Windows is not updating. While trying to do update I have found all updates since version 1909 have failed. I've tried the update assistant which had downloaded the latest update and run it but it does not even show up in the update history... Dump of history below. Any help...
  5. Windows Explorer locking up with new files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer locking up with new files: Hello. Occasionally, when I am writing a new large file such as a video file, Windows Explorer will lock up on me when I access the folder. Until I go into Safe Mode and delete the offending file, I can access the folder momentarily before it locks up again. I can sometimes...
  6. Total Lock Up since Windows 10 2004 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Total Lock Up since Windows 10 2004 update: I have a new Asus Gamers Republic laptop I don't have much on it I only watch netflix, hulu, check email and FB and play asphalt 9 and DAOC and also I use Discord but Asphalt 9 updated and would not open without new update windows 10 2004 and since update I can open...
  7. Since latest update Snip and Sketch Locks up whole computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Since latest update Snip and Sketch Locks up whole computer: Hi I have used Snip and Sketch frequently since it was introduced to eventually replace the Snipping Tool. However, since the last Windows update late June 2020: when the Snip and Sketch is booted up and a clip has been selected, the Snip and Sketch overlay disappears; the...
  8. File Explorer 1909

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer 1909: 1. If you use File Explorer to Open a document whose application has an Auto-Save feature and you leave File Explorer minimized then when the Auto-Save runs File Explorer will be hung. At that point if you use Task Manager to Restart the system will hang part way through....
  9. 1909 Update file explorer search issue.

in Cortana
    1909 Update file explorer search issue.: New 1909 update broke the file explorer search. Now after file explorer window has been open 10+ minutes the search option is grayed out. Text does not show in the bar and the only way to be able to type again is to task kill file explorer from taskmgr. I have tried to run...
  10. File Explorer locks up every time I start Windows since installing 1903

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer locks up every time I start Windows since installing 1903: Every time I start windows and open File Explorer I get this --- and the bar with Quick access slowly fills with green (almost a full minute). Then nothing. File Explorer won't let me select a file. I can't open other apps. Eventually If I try to close File Explorer several...