Windows 10: File Explorer Locks up freezes when clicking onto Office files - Windows 10

Discus and support File Explorer Locks up freezes when clicking onto Office files - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have had this issues for a while now. In File Explorer if I double-click to open an office file like Word, Excel, etc. the File Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David Brough, Jul 6, 2020.

1. File Explorer Locks up freezes when clicking onto Office files - Windows 10

Hello,

I have had this issues for a while now.

In File Explorer if I double-click to open an office file like Word, Excel, etc. the File Explorer freezes and states "Not Responding". I have to click on the X to shut it down.

But if I click on an office file on the Desktop it opens just fine. Problem is most of my files are in drives and folders - so I can't open them in the normal fashion.

The only way to do so is to open the program first then search for the file to open it. This is frustrating as after searching for the past several months there does not appear to be any solution as many other have the same problem!

I have done a reset on my PC and it still does not clear the issue.

I have tried all the other options like file checker, media creation tool, keeping up to date with Windows updates, even repaired the Office desktop apps as necessary - nothing seems to work!

Can anyone please give me a solution as this should not happen with a fast gaming machine like I have?

Dave

:)

David Brough, Jul 6, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 6, 2020
  3. W XP & Illegal Operation with movie files

Why does Windows Explorer close up for illegal operation when I click on some movie files?

I have the preview disabled, simple list no thumbnails, still sometimes when i click on some of the movie files windows explorer freezes/closes for illegal operation. It could be Xvid or DivX or other encoded movies, from what I noticed the resolution of the movie could be an issue? Some movies encoded to 640x480 with the same codec as 720x400 for example, there's no problem clicking on the 640x480 movie, but once i click on the 720x400 movie for example it closes/freezes up *Bang Head :banghead:

Any ideas? Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

GeeForce11, Jul 6, 2020
  4. tater1955 Win User

File Explorer Locks up freezes when clicking onto Office files - Windows 10

I need to convert Quattro pro files to windows Office 2007

The link says for Office 2000 and 2003. Will this work for 2007?

tater1955, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer Locks up freezes when clicking onto Office files - Windows 10

1. File Explorer Locks up freezes when clicking onto Office files - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - File Explorer Locks

2. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture: i need help, when right clicking on a picture the file explore freezes, before it didn't do that, it only does for picture files and not normal files....
  3. file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explore Freezing when right clicking on a picture: i need help, when right clicking on a picture the file explore freezes, before it didn't do that, it only does for picture files and not normal files....
  4. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  5. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer: This happens on some files in some folders but I can't say which as there seems to be no pattern. But most , when I right click on them I get the wait cursor and have to close explorer. This is a brand new install of Windows 10 and this did not do it in the first weeks after...
  6. Right Click on Files Locks up Explorer

7. Windows 11 Explorer freezes when clicking on a Office file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer freezes when clicking on a Office file: Hello, I have a problem for a couple of weeks now, which I can't properly fix. When I go to my File Explorer and want to open for example a Word file, the Explorer freezes until it closes automatically also, the taskbar white for 3-4 seconds before restoring the icons then I...
  8. Windows 11 Explorer freezes when clicking on a Office file

Windows 11 Explorer freezes when clicking on a Office file: Hello, I have a problem for a couple of weeks now, which I can't properly fix. When I go to my File Explorer and want to open for example a Word file, the Explorer freezes until it closes automatically also, the taskbar white for 3-4 seconds before restoring the icons then I...
  9. File explorer freezes when clicking on an mp4 file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer freezes when clicking on an mp4 file: I was trying to open an mp4 file and when I clicked on it my file explorer freezed. I tried yo follow some solutions and it turns out I also cant run the trouble shooter. when I try to open it I get this error: windows cannot access the specified device or file for MSDT.exe....
  10. file explorer freezes when i right click on a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file explorer freezes when i right click on a file: file explorer freezes when i right click on a file, i ran sfc /scannow but it reports that nothing is wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-freezes-when-i-right-click-on-a-file/46248c43-55b8-41a7-a1b1-ea300801f245