Windows 10: File Explorer Malfunctioning and Deleting New Files

Discus and support File Explorer Malfunctioning and Deleting New Files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been having an issue with File Explorer malfunctioning and occasionally deleting files. Here's what happens: When I click on the File Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnnLD, Feb 26, 2019.

1. AnnLD Win User

File Explorer Malfunctioning and Deleting New Files

I have been having an issue with File Explorer malfunctioning and occasionally deleting files. Here's what happens: When I click on the File Explorer icon in my task bar, the status bar looks like it's progressing at a snail's pace and never really completes. I usually have to reboot the computer. On at least two occasions recently, a couple of files have simply disappeared. They are not in my recycle bin, and they don't show up in a file search. They are always files that have been updated earlier that same day. My Windows 10 OS is up to date, and the computer gets scanned regularly for malware and viruses.

Any suggestions as to what may be going on? Thanks.

:)

AnnLD, Feb 26, 2019
  2. temp02 Win User

Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

It's an .exe right? Explorer probably read its icon (to a cache) when it was a "small" file and now call the quits when it finds "such a big" file.

If you want to delete it, use the console after killing explorer, you can run the console from TaskManager (Application -> New Task -> cmd). You might want to try copy the file to a different location (copy, not cut) and see if explorer can handle it in the new location before deleting it.

temp02, Feb 26, 2019
  3. Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Feb 26, 2019
  4. Scott 316 Win User

File Explorer malfunctioning

Thank you for the pertinent guidance to create a screen shot. Today after I did a cold start boot-up, I was able to open a functioning File Explorer, so hopefully the problem has corrected itself. It seems, however, that I earlier was able to use File
    Explorer after the recent Windows 10 update, only for it to malfunction yesterday, so if the problem recurs, I'll be sure to do a screen shot. Thank you for your willingness to help and your suggestion.

Sincerely,

Scott

Scott 316, Feb 26, 2019
Thema:

1. File Explorer Malfunctioning and Deleting New Files - Similar Threads - File Explorer Malfunctioning

2. Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted file showing in search in File Explorer: Hi all,I am running Win 10, 64 bit home, latest update. I have deleted a large number of files and also emptied the recycle bin. They hav e been deleted from my backup drives.However, when I run a search in File Explorer for one of those files, it shows in the search but will...
  3. File Explorer kept deleting... and deleting... and deleting...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer kept deleting... and deleting... and deleting...: Can anyone tell me what Windows Windows 10 Enterprise was doing here?I tried to delete a large directory that contained an old backup of a project I'm working on. I kept getting "You must have administrator privilege" dialogs, which was odd, because the directory contained...
  4. File Explorer kept deleting... and deleting... and deleting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer kept deleting... and deleting... and deleting...: Can anyone tell me what Windows Windows 10 Enterprise was doing here?I tried to delete a large directory that contained an old backup of a project I'm working on. I kept getting "You must have administrator privilege" dialogs, which was odd, because the directory contained...
  5. File Explorer kept deleting... and deleting... and deleting...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File explorer cannot delete files

File explorer cannot delete files: Ever since I got my pc, I am unable to delete any of the files I have temporarily downloaded on it. The download option is grayed out, and so is move to Recycle Bin. The files are taking up unnecessary space in my computer. Please assist with the same. [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows malfunction after deleting Windows.old file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows malfunction after deleting Windows.old file: So today sep 12 I installed a windows 10 2004 update. Installation went well but then I noticed my SSD was running out of storage after the installation. So I ran a quick check and found out that a Windows.old file had appeared there. It took up 22GB of storage. I got curious...
  8. Delete a file in file explorer.

Delete a file in file explorer.: What setting do I not have correct. I simply want to delete a file that is incorrect. I tried to replace it with a corrected version, but now I have two files with the same name and cannot select the correct one. And when I right click, or simply select delete, nothing...
  9. File Explorer / New File => Hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer / New File => Hang: In File Explorer, Right-Click + New, Windows hangs. If I press Ctrl+N to create a New Folder, this works fine. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-new-file-hang/a29cfbbe-d97a-4b8a-a933-756d5783d845
  10. Can't delete file in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete file in file explorer: I have a memory card in my phone that allows me to move large picture files to my laptop. Once in file explorer, it only allows me to copy and paste the files onto my laptop. The "cut" and "delete" options are grayed out. This memory card is quickly filling up b/c I am...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to stop file explorer from deleting a file as soon as you select it