Windows 10: File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

Discus and support File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by kepico, Dec 10, 2018.

1. kepico Win User

File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained hopefully as simply as possible;

In File Explorer I would love to have a way it knows what type of items are within that folder and then assign a set view to that folder. Now I think it may (supposed) to be doing this automatically or at least it used to? So if you have all .jpg\.bmp files (pictures) in a folder it defaults to tiles view. If it finds all .mpg files it defaults to tiles view etc.

And I know I can customize the folders for a specific type using the drop down and choosing "pictures\music\videos" etc. but windows apparently has it's own idea of what those items are.

Specifically I work with a lot of .m2ts\.m2v\.vob video type files and currently I have to tell windows what is inside each of those folders and set the view to "tiles" or just set the folder to "tiles". The problem is I have a lot and would need to change each folder to tiles view on my own and I work with a lot of these types on a temporary basis so each time I create a new folder with these types of file extensions it would be nice if it knew these were video files on it's own and default to a tiles or whatever I set view.

Now I know explorer used to have (not sure if it still does) an auto discover setting to id these file types and if it does then there should be I would guess a registry entry saying something like .avi etc are all video files and open in this view, if there were something like that I could add on to it my own files I wanted included in there.

I have tried some third party explorer replacements and even purchased one but honestly I keep coming back to the windows explorer, I know they can be customized to do what I want but the endless other customization I really do not need.

Thanks for any ideas!

:)

kepico, Dec 10, 2018
  2. Berton Win User

copied file has no file type

Right-click one of them and Rename, type .mp4 then double-click and see if it opens.

Or open File Explorer, click View, click Options and on the View tab Uncheck the Hide extensions for known types, check the result, should show the file type if it has been assigned.

Berton, Dec 10, 2018
  3. ~How to assign Edge to a file type ? ~

~How to assign Edge to a file type ? ~

Is there a way to assign Edge to open a file type ?

Win 8.1 needs Help, Dec 10, 2018
  4. mandala Win User

File Type php Missing in Windows File Association Settings

I would like to associate the php file format with a text editor utility such as Sublime Text. When I attempt to "always open file type with Sublime Text" via the context menu in Windows Explorer, it does not work. When I open Settings > Default Apps > Choose Default Apps by file type, the php file format appears to be missing from the list - see screenshot. I expected it to be listed below the .php3 file type.

On a related note, I was also unable to associate the css and html file types with Sublime Text (or any other software) via Windows Explorer. I was able to work around this by using the FileTypesMan utility. However, the FileTypesMan utility is not able to associate php files either. Please advise. TIA.

mandala, Dec 10, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views? - Similar Threads - File Explorer Manually

2. File type assigned by Paint 3d

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  3. File type assigned by Paint 3d

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File type assigned by Paint 3d: I am using Windows 11 and have many images on my computer which have been edited using paint 3d. All of these files are of file type "Paint 3d .jpg" rather than just ".jpg".Recently I have tried searching for duplicate copies of these files on my computer but whilst the...
  4. Setting File type descriptions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting File type descriptions: Please tell me how to set the description of a filetype nowadays. In the 'good' old days this could easily be done. But it obviously was too user-friendly so it got removed. I know the NirSoft tool FileTypesMan which is often recommended for this, as in the answers to this:...
  5. Setting File Explorer types

Setting File Explorer types: How do I set multiple file extensions for one file type? Since this new version of file explorer requires you to select from a list of file types, how do I modify this list?...
  6. change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings)

change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings): I have a problem. I can't change it to camp on explorer (don't know WHAT file that was) and I can't do settings. (it won't list my program on there.) how do I work AROUND it? (my program is GIMP.)...
  7. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  8. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  9. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

10. File explorer view settings

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view settings: I know how to set the view display when browsing folders, but if I use the search facility, the default view is always Content. I would rather the default view for searches, and indeed all views in File Explorer, to be Details. How do I change the default? 105136

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer Manually assign file types