Windows 10: File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key

Discus and support File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been trying for months to find a way to use both Check Boxes AND Shift Key for multiple file selection. Searching Google and this forum I haven't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wiley Coyote, Jun 18, 2017.

1. File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key

I've been trying for months to find a way to use both Check Boxes AND Shift Key for multiple file selection. Searching Google and this forum I haven't found the solution. This thread Shift for selecting multiple Files not working comes close to this but not BOTH. I've been turning On/Off the boxes but would like to have a setting that allows use of both.

Has anyone found a fix/work around that allows the use of both of these options?

:)

Wiley Coyote, Jun 18, 2017

2. Shift key to select multiple photos

I'm trying to select multiple photos with the shift key in windows 10. I check the photo and hold down the shift key while checking a photo maybe 10 photos away from the first. I'm expecting this to select all photos in between but it only selects first
    and last. My ctrl key works to select random photos but I would like the convenience of selecting large groups of photos. Why doesn't this work? In file explorer options I've unchecked box use check boxes to select items & applied and restarted (as suggested
    in other forums) but this still doesn't work. Any help greatly appreciated.

Treesawill, Jun 18, 2017
  3. photons1 Win User
    Can not slect multiple emails using shift key in windows 10

On Win 10, to select multiple files, say in a picture folder, click on the first file you want (a check will appear in little box), then hold down the shift key and use your arrow keys on your keyboard to select rows or columns of additional files.

DON't reinstall your drivers, Don't check your keyboard function if you can type capital letters, and don't listen to idiots from Microsoft.

photons1, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key

Sorry, I don't like the check boxes so I leave that turned off permanently. Actually, I hardly use the Shift key either, come to think of it.

For my multiple file selection needs I use the Ctrl key, in combination with a click to select a file or click-and-drag to select multiple files. Try it: click on a file to select it, hold down Ctrl and click another to add it to the selection. Or 'Select all' then Ctrl-click to deselect a few individual files.

5. Thanks for the reply Guru Bree. I've been using those methods too. Guess I'm just a creature of habit that does his best to hang on to the past. LOL, and yet here I am with Windows 10 and actually liking it.

Wiley Coyote, Jun 18, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    For me, with or without Check Boxes, Ctrl+Select selects individually;
    Shift+Select selects 1st selection, then 2nd selection selects everything in between, provided you are descending through the hierarchy.

Edwin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key

1. File Explorer Multiple Selection Using BOTH Check Boxes AND Shift Key - Similar Threads - File Explorer Multiple

2. Shift not working to select multiple files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift not working to select multiple files.: I usually click on a file then hold down shift and click on another one below it and the computer will select everything in between but this isn't working after an update, I've updated to windows 11 a long time ago and this problem has never occurred, can someone please help?...
  3. Shift not working to select multiple files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift not working to select multiple files.: I usually click on a file then hold down shift and click on another one below it and the computer will select everything in between but this isn't working after an update, I've updated to windows 11 a long time ago and this problem has never occurred, can someone please help?...
  4. Both [Shift] keys not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Both [Shift] keys not working: About yesterday, both my [Shift] keys stopped working, even my [Right Shift] key, which I never use. None of my other keys have been affected and the problem is isolated to the [Shift] keys exclusively. I have already tried some of the more common fixes to this problem making...
  5. Check boxes on file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check boxes on file explorer: Today my file explorer started looking like this. A check boxes by each item.How do I get rid of them? Note that the option to show check boxes is NOT selected....
  6. Check boxes on file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Check boxes on file explorer: Today my file explorer started looking like this. A check boxes by each item.How do I get rid of them? Note that the option to show check boxes is NOT selected....
  7. File Explorer check box sensitivity

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer check box sensitivity: I am trying to select some photos, using File Explorer. But check boxes keep getting checked even though they are not the photos I want to select. Also, when I do select by clicking the box, the picture gets opened with the Photos app. I don't want to open any photos, I just...
  8. I can't select multiple files in file explorer using either shift or ctrl keys. Keyboard...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't select multiple files in file explorer using either shift or ctrl keys. Keyboard...: Any idea why this would be the case? Every "answer" I find says to just use the shift key, but for some reason this is NOT working. The keyboard works fine, so it's not my shift key!...
  9. Both shift keys unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Both shift keys unresponsive: Until recently both of my shift keys have worked absolutely fine and i have had no trouble with my keyboard. Unfortunately they have both become unresponsive all of a sudden and it is the same when plugging in a different keyboard and in safe mode. Sticky Keys was never...
  10. Shift for selecting multiple Files not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shift for selecting multiple Files not working: First of all I would like to say how well laid out this forum is. Just joined and hope to find some solution to my problem. Windows 10 has many little problems, her are some with "Shift"! If I want to let's say select 10 Files in Windows File Manager and click on...