Windows 10: File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice

Discus and support File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a new computer with Windows 10. in File Explorer the hard drives and the DVD drives appear twice. Once under "This PC" and then again at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ByronTomlinson, Mar 12, 2019.

1. File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice

I have a new computer with Windows 10. in File Explorer the hard drives and the DVD drives appear twice. Once under "This PC" and then again at the same level as "This PC" following "Libraries". I don't recall this happening on my old computer which had Windows 10 also. Is this normal and is there a reason for it?

:)

ByronTomlinson, Mar 12, 2019

2. Show fixed drives in navigation pane

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, I will be glad to assist you with this.

In order for the drives to appear in the navigation pane, I would suggest you to pin the drives in quick access. This way, every time you open file explorer, you will be able to easily access and see the drives on the navigation pane. To do so, follow the
    steps below:

1. Press Windows key + E to open file explorer.

2. Click This PC on the left pane.

3. Left click on a drive and drag it under the quick access pane and release the mouse once you see the "pin to quick access" popup

4. Repeat the steps for the remaining drives.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Wungraileng Vashi, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer: Hard Drives displayed twice;

I am running Windows 10 Pro. File Explorer is showing hard drives twice in the Navigation Pane; once under "This PC" and again under Desktop (same tree level as This PC.) Note the drives are listed out of order under Desktop.

Three drives only appear under "This PC".

This does not happen in the right hand side of File Explorer window when "Desktop" is selected in the Navigation Pane.

Any clue as to why this is this happening and how to fix it?

Example:

v Desktop

v This PC

> Seagate Expansion Drive A (AFile Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice :)

> Seagate Expansion Drive B (BFile Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice :)

> Windows 10 Pro (CFile Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice :)

> Seagate Expansion Drive D (DFile Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice :)

> Libraries

> Seagate Expansion Drive B

> Seagate Expansion Drive A

> Seagate Expansion Drive D

Windows Version: 1511 (OS Build 10586. 14)

BruceRosen, Mar 12, 2019
  4. File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice

Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice

1. File Explorer Navigation Pane shows hard drives twice - Similar Threads - File Explorer Navigation

2. Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.: I have 7 drives in my desktop Windows 11 computer. All the drives show up in the Navigation Pane under "This PC" Two of my hard drives show up listed twice on the Navigation Pane. Once under "This PC" and once at the same level as "This PC". They are actually outside "This...
  3. Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drives showing up twice in the navigation pane.: I have 7 drives in my desktop Windows 11 computer. All the drives show up in the Navigation Pane under "This PC" Two of my hard drives show up listed twice on the Navigation Pane. Once under "This PC" and once at the same level as "This PC". They are actually outside "This...
  4. Desktop appears twice in navigation pane of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop appears twice in navigation pane of File Explorer: I recently upgraded from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro v22H2. The Desktop is shown twice in the navigation pane of File Explorer. Also, the same folders on my Desktop are shown twice in the navigation pane. see screen clip below. Can this be changed so that the Desktop is...
  5. Desktop appears twice in navigation pane of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop appears twice in navigation pane of File Explorer: I recently upgraded from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro v22H2. The Desktop is shown twice in the navigation pane of File Explorer. Also, the same folders on my Desktop are shown twice in the navigation pane. see screen clip below. Can this be changed so that the Desktop is...
  6. How to show mounted iso drives in File Explorer Navigation Pane?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to show mounted iso drives in File Explorer Navigation Pane?: I've accidentally mounted an iso before, without realizing it accidental double-click or something, then trying to rename it or move it gives an error that it can't because it's being used by something else... because there's no way to tell what, I end up just stumbling on...
  7. Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer: Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well! Quick question, does anyone know how to or rather if there even is a way, to be able to set the navigation pane in File Explorer to dynamically minimize and maximise on mouse hover? I have pined the option to show and hide navigation...
  8. extra drives in navigation pane of explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    extra drives in navigation pane of explorer: yes , I use "Remove_Drives_from_Navigation_Pane.reg" after every major update puts them back. But I haven't found a good purpose in Microsoft having 2 copies of usb drives there, or putting back with the update. *Sleepy*Biggrin 133192
  9. Drives missing from File Explorer's Navigation Pane

Drives missing from File Explorer's Navigation Pane: Hello, As shown below there are 2 drives missing from the Navigation Pane (vertical bar on the left of the File Explorer). How do I show them up there? Thanks in advance. [img] 31049
  10. Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..??

Hard drive not showing up in the navigation pane..??: I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro where I had a system drive and a single storage drive installed. After that, I added another drive, and this drive shows up under "This PC" in Windows Explorer, but it does not show in the navigation pane at the left like my other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove double drives from windows 10 1809 navigation pane

2. Windows 10 File Explorer: Hard Drives displayed twice;