Windows 10: File explorer navigation

Discus and support File explorer navigation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Id just like some feedback from other users on how you close File Explorer down when you've finished using it. When you have finished accessing a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sportsfan148, Jun 29, 2020.

1. File explorer navigation

Hi,
    Id just like some feedback from other users on how you close File Explorer down when you've finished using it.
    When you have finished accessing a file or folder in File Explorer when you close it you'll see that the file is still selected (highlighted in blue). At that point do you just close down File Explorer..OR..do you always make sure that no files are selected (highlighted in blue) by clicking on an empty space and deselecting it before exiting file explorer?
    I have never given any thought before as to whether a file/folder is still selected (highlighted in blue) or not when I close File Explorer down. However Ive just started to use the Single click to open an item (Point to Select) mouse option instead of the Default Double clicking. So just the fact that the mouse pointer is hovered over a file/folder means that it will automatically show it as being selected. Even though a file/folder is selected it isnt Open (you then have to Single click on the file/folder to Open it) but Im just curious to know if its safer to ensure that no files/folders are selected before closing File Explorer down? I have searched the forum and googled on the internet and found nothing related to the subject so it seems that a file/folder showing just as selected is probably irrelevant but Id welcome any feedback from you guys *Smile

:)

sportsfan148, Jun 29, 2020

2. Not able to open sub-folders from navigation pane in File explorer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Under which drive are you not able to view the sub folders?
    • Are you not able to expand the options from navigation pane of the File explorer?

This seems to be a temporary issue. Sometimes disabling and enabling some of the options will fix the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Open File explorer by pressing Windows key + E keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on View tab located at the top of the window.
    • Click on Navigation pane and uncheck Navigation pane option.
    • Close the window, follow the above steps from a to
      c
      , only this time check the option Navigation pane and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us for further assistance, we will be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Sher Amo Win User
    File explorer will not open on windows 10

As a workaround, we suggest that you follow these steps to access windows explorer using the
    Run dialog box. By doing this, we may identify if you can navigate Windows through this method. To do this, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the run dialog box.
    • Type explorer and press Enter.

In case your system will allow you to navigate through this process, we recommend that you continue performing the in-place upgrade procedure.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

Sher Amo, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Phil D Win User

File explorer navigation

File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

Hello! First time posting here.

I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists.

I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default:

File explorer navigation [​IMG]

to this:

File explorer navigation [​IMG]

Notice they are folder icons with the unique icon picture 'overlay'

Brief history:
    • I have had my HP Spectre x360 15 (4K touch display) for about 6 weeks.
    • Initial file transfer was done using Windows (7) Easy Transfer (migwiz) which I have used on other machines without incident. Using the advanced selection; no settings were transferred, just Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.
    • I do not use any outside themes; just experimented a few times using the built in HP themes.
    • I have gone so far as to try overriding the current icons using the registry modifications mentioned in this Ten Forums post: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10
    • When I tried the suggestions in Option One, the only change which occurred was that the unique icon picture was removed and only the plain folder icon remained. Yet the registry entries outlined in Option 2 “Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users” all appear to be correct.
    • There are no “exotic” programs on the computer – just Office 365, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements, Bootstrap Studio, Inkscape, etc.
    Purchased at the same time was an HP Envy x360 laptop which is almost identical in specifications and installed programs except it has a regular Full HD touch screen (1920x1080). The Navigation Pane icons there are the expected 'default' as shown in the second screenshot.

Any ideas what may have caused this and any suggestions how to get the default icons back?

Phil D, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

File explorer navigation

1. File explorer navigation - Similar Threads - File explorer navigation

2. Navigation pane partially hidden in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Navigation pane partially hidden in File Explorer?: My navigation pane in File Explorer has been hidden like this for a while now and I can't figure out what is wrong. I may have clicksomething but I don't remember what. When I go to Navigation pane option under View, nothing seems to help. Couldn't find anything online about...
  3. Windows11 File Explorer automatically search not navigating.

Windows11 File Explorer automatically search not navigating.: To whom it may concern,Good day. Please check the following link for reference:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-file-explorer-automatically-search-not/21144f03-c263-4d1d-8cde-d9a7a1f40f1cI have encountered the exact same problem as this person...
  4. File Explorer Completetly Broken. Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Completetly Broken. Navigation Pane: My navigation pane in file explorer is completly broken and currupt and idk what to do to fix it / revert it. this happened ever since the new tabs update.I cant see my C: drive main drive. I cant see my usb sticks, i cant see my main directories such as the download, desktop...
  5. FILE EXPLORER NAVIGATION ERROR

in Windows 10 Customization
    FILE EXPLORER NAVIGATION ERROR: Please see the navigation view it shows different see the file, edit, view and tools and things below, please help in this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-navigation-error/323c7206-f6a9-45d7-afd5-559e899d0372
  6. Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer: Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well! Quick question, does anyone know how to or rather if there even is a way, to be able to set the navigation pane in File Explorer to dynamically minimize and maximise on mouse hover? I have pined the option to show and hide navigation...
  7. File Explorer Navigation Pane graphics lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Navigation Pane graphics lag: [IMG] submitted by /u/Kronendal [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ga3ovs/file_explorer_navigation_pane_graphics_lag/
  8. File Explorer Navigation Pane. Uncontrollable scrolling.

File Explorer Navigation Pane. Uncontrollable scrolling.: When I move my cursor into the Navigation Pane of File Explorer, the scroll bar immediately and unstoppably starts scrolling to the top, here it stops. Any attempt to move it downwards or use the scrolling function on my mouse is thwarted by the bar immediately scrolling back...
  9. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane: Now and then I want to view the full folder tree in Navigation Pane of File Explorer. There are some options to keep the folder tree open, but most of the time they are a pain in the butt. When I do want the tree visible, I have to go to the root disk and open each parent...
  10. File Explorer Navigation Menu Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Navigation Menu Icons: I am totally baffled, new install upgrade from Win7 and I cannot understand why the folder icons are kind of incomplete - anyone any ideas ??? 22884