Windows 10: File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

Discus and support File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lancewhit, Oct 31, 2018.

1. lancewhit Win User

File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

After installing the Windows 10 October 2018 Update, the New context menu no longer works. If I right-click an empty area in File Explorer and move to the New menu, Explorer freezes and then crashes. Same thing happens if I click on the New Item icon on the toolbar.

The problem did not exist before I installed the October Update. However, I have another PC with the October Update, and the problem does not occur on that one.

I've determined that it is specific to my account on this one PC. I created and signed in with another account, and the New menu works fine with that one. Short of removing and recreating my entire account, is there another option I can try to fix this glitch?

Thank you.

:)

lancewhit, Oct 31, 2018

2. Explorer crashes with right click->New context menu

Right click-> New context menu causes explorer to crash. I have already check ALL third party shell extensions and such using ShellEx and the msconfig.

CalebClever, Oct 31, 2018
  3. erocker Win User
    explorer just crashed? why?

One bad file can cause explorer to crash. Have you defragmented your HDD's lately?

erocker, Oct 31, 2018
  4. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

File Explorer crashes

Hi LUVSITE,

Shell extensions are modules that extend the functionality of the Explorer shell. Context menu handler is a type of shell extension that load when you right-click on a file or folder. A buggy shell extension (mostly the ones from 3rd programs) can cause
    slow right-click issues, or crashes in the Explorer environment.

"View Reliability History" page in Control Panel can sometimes tell you which particular extension has crashed the shell. But in some cases it doesn't tell you the exact extension or module name, and in such as case, ShellExView is one tool we depend upon.

ShellExView helps you enable or disable unwanted shell extensions in your system, very useful for troubleshooting right-click issues.

In the
    this link
    (which is the 2nd link in my previous post), skip the "Symptoms" section and follow the steps listed under "Using ShellExView to determine the Context-menu causing the problem".

Let's know if you have any doubts when following those steps. It should not be that difficult.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash

1. File Explorer New context menu causes Explorer to freeze and crash - Similar Threads - File Explorer context

2. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu: After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see old and default context entries like on 7Zip again. Unfortunately the Explorer crashes as soon as I click right on a zip...
  3. Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Explorer crashing on Context menu: After updating from Windows 10 all worked perfect to Windows 11 the Explorer looks different in case of reduced menus. But on advanced menu, I can see old and default context entries like on 7Zip again. Unfortunately the Explorer crashes as soon as I click right on a zip...
  4. Customize File Explorer context menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer context menu?: I tried searching the tutorials but came up empty . . . Is it possible to customize the file explorer context menu to remove items you don't want to appear on the menu? The "context" in this case is the menu that appears when you click on a .txt file, an image file or a...
  5. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  6. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"....: Don't know if it was a coincidence or not but said problem started about three days ago after installing VLC (yes official site) and uninstalling it after noticing the issues and some file associations I didn't want with it. Did full scans with Windows Defender and...
  7. Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows explorer lagging and crashing occasionally and context menu freezes on "open with"...: Did full scans with Windows Defender and Malware-bytes and everything is clear, SFC /SCANNOW doesn't find any problems and I'm still having crashing and freezing issues. For all intents and purposes VLC was downloaded off the official site CPU Intel Core i7-9700F RAM...
  8. Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu

Right clicking files in Explorer causes Explorer to hang / not respond. Slow context menu: About a week ago after i updated windows 10 for the first time in a while i've noticed that occasionally when i right click pictures, documents, etc. in windows explorer to open the context menu, explorer will freeze and ill have the blue spinny loading cursor for like 30...
  9. File Explorer crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted: Hello, I having this problem since I upgraded from Windows 10 1803 (official release) to Windows 10 Insider / Preview Build 17744.rs5_release_180818-1845 I've tried ShellExView and disabled all non-Microsoft Shell Extensions as seen on print this print...
  10. File Explorer Crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted

File Explorer Crashes when "New" in context menu is highlighted: When I try to use "New" to create a folder, zipped folder, etc, the Explorer hangs, crashes and then restart Source Windows Explorer abstract Stopped responding and was closed Date 23/08/138 12:11 Status Report submitted description A problem caused this program to stop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new in contextmeny windows 10 freece

2. windows context menu freeze new

3. context menu - new crashes file explorer

4. new context menu hangs explorer,
  5. contextmenuhandler freeze new,
  6. tabtip.exe causes explorer to freeze,
  7. explorer new freeze ,
  8. explorer chrash contexmeny new,
  9. new in contextmeny freese explorer,
  10. new crash Windows Explorer,
  11. new menu hangs windows explorer,
  12. right click New Hangs,
  13. right click new menu hangs,
  14. user setting is causing file explorer to freeze when i right click to create a new folder,
  15. right click new freeze