Windows 10: File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix?

Discus and support File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ISSUE: Despite the registry being set up correctly (as far as I can tell), the "New >" or "New Item >" menu in File Explorer doesn't have the option... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pklevine, Jun 4, 2019.

1. pklevine Win User

File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix?

ISSUE: Despite the registry being set up correctly (as far as I can tell), the "New >" or "New Item >" menu in File Explorer doesn't have the option for me to create a new plain text file. File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix? 19214182-b72c-4a43-ba14-d11073677af0?upload=true.png

First, please note that I've already read the following question and its answer:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...explorer/3d5700f5-9a69-419d-ad0d-d7a0fe91e79a

The second half isn't accurate as C:\Windows\ShellNew doesn't exist, but even upon following its steps it doesn't help. More importantly, unless i'm missing something I shouldn't have to do this for .txt files!

I checked to ensure that .txt already has the right registry entry components and it seems to be correct:

File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix? 8610fea2-5dae-43bc-9257-092e7724e990?upload=true.png

So can anyone tell me why it isn't showing up in the New Item menu, and how to fix it?

:)

pklevine, Jun 4, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How to create a new text file using file explore

• Right click an empty space on your Desktop
    • Select - New - Text Document
    • Do what you need to do with the file
    • Then Open Windows File Explorer and drag the file from your Desktop onto the C Drive
    • When asked for permission to do this select Yes/OK

File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix? 86e778cc-cc80-4c56-b8b2-451c3648849e.jpg

DaveM121, Jun 4, 2019
  3. Mr AMX Win User
    How to create a new text file using file explore

My IT support for a back up software I am running and having problems with, gave me a solution which included me going to the root of C: in file explore and adding a new text file.

I found that I could only add a new folder. They had told me to right click in an empty spot and a new text line would appear, but this option does not exist. They suggested writing the new text file and copy and past it to C: but that action would not work
    either.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

OS is Win 10.

Mr AMX, Jun 4, 2019
  4. File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix?

'Open in new window' right-click menu option for File Explorer

I just submitted this suggestion on Windows Uservoice:

The idea: the right-click menu for folders in File Explorer has an option called 'Open in new window', which opens that folder in a new File Explorer window. Very useful for copying and moving things, and opening destination folders without accessing the start menu a second time.

right-click menu option for File Explorer – Feature Suggestions for Windows

Delicieuxz, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix?

1. File Explorer: "New >" menu doesn't include "New Text Document" - how do I fix? - Similar Threads - File Explorer menu

2. File explorer, when displaying directory, 'new' can select new file. Text document has...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer, when displaying directory, 'new' can select new file. Text document has...: File explorer, when displaying directory, 'new' can select new file to create. Text document has disappeared from the list of file types I can select. How do I get it back?...
  3. File explorer, when displaying directory, 'new' can select new file. Text document has...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer, when displaying directory, 'new' can select new file. Text document has...: File explorer, when displaying directory, 'new' can select new file to create. Text document has disappeared from the list of file types I can select. How do I get it back?...
  4. New Text Document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Text Document: Hi Sir,Sir when I want to create a new text document in Windows 11, the "New Text Document" option doesn't show. Please help me to fix this.Thanks in Advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-text-document/264b67a2-90e3-4811-9997-aa283210ad99
  5. New Text Document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Text Document: Hi Sir,Sir when I want to create a new text document in Windows 11, the "New Text Document" option doesn't show. Please help me to fix this.Thanks in Advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-text-document/264b67a2-90e3-4811-9997-aa283210ad99
  6. new folder and new text document option missing in right click menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    new folder and new text document option missing in right click menu: I cannot find the option to create a new folder as well as a new text document , I tried all those registry stuff but nothing works [ATTACH]...
  7. Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh for new files or new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Explorer doesn't refresh for new files or new folders: I have w10 1809 up to date, stock install, and my explorer window does not refresh when I download a file or unzip something. How do I correct this? 161885
  8. i cant create a new text document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i cant create a new text document: i cant create a new text document and when i try to open one it ask me how to opent it and it gives me options like word pad microsoft explorel and thing like that but not text document pls help...
  9. How do I add new .java file to context new menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add new .java file to context new menu?: Hello, I want create a new blank java source code file from the context menu when I right click in a folder and select new. I have tried adding a registry edit with the following code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.java\ShellNew]...
  10. How do I disable the new Explorer taskbar context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I disable the new Explorer taskbar context menu: Hi, Is there any way to disable that next context menu when clicking on Windows Explorer? It shows a bunch of favorite folders and recent folders. Thanks! 28702

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer in windows 10 create text document

2. file explorer new textfile