Windows 10: File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property

Discus and support File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Windows 10, and File Explorer has suddenly stopped accessing the Comments property in any file. Worked fine before, but now the Comments field... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DouglasG2, Feb 10, 2021.

1. DouglasG2 Win User

File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property

I have Windows 10, and File Explorer has suddenly stopped accessing the Comments property in any file. Worked fine before, but now the Comments field is blank and though it allows me to edit the field after Right-click Properties, the changes don't save. I can see and edit every other Property, only Comments is mysteriously non-functional. This is the case for all files on all drives, even network drives. Other computers can see the Comments in their Explorer. I can see the Comments field in other apps, so it is only File Explorer

I've made no modifications to the computer or settings. Yes, I've rebooted.

:)

DouglasG2, Feb 10, 2021

2. File explorer file properties

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

I suggest you to follow the below procedure and check if you are able to add comment to the file.

• Right click on the files

• Select Properties

• Click on Details

• Move the cursor to comments tab and try typing the captions.
    Check if it allows you to type the comments.

I hope the information helps. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to contact us again. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Feb 10, 2021
  3. Displaying the Comments Property for FLAC files

Is there something special about a FLAC file that prevents Windows 10 File Explorer from displaying the contents of the Comments Property?

I am using the Comments Property field to log the catalogue numbers of my digitised record collection. When I view MP3 files with File Explorer, it displays the contents of the comments field along with the title, artist, track no, etc. However, if I convert
    the files to FLAC format, the properties remain except for the comments that now appear blank. But, if I convert the files back to MP3 then the comments reappear. So it seems that the Comments Property data is saved but File Explorer is unable to display it.

Do I have File Explorer installed and set up correctly?

Is there a problem with File Explorer itself?

Any advice gratefully received.

Mark

WirelessValve, Feb 10, 2021
  4. Variance Win User

File Explorer no longer lists out previously used tags in properties

So my problem is that when typing into the tags field on File Explorer, it no longer opens a list of all tags that I could be typing. For example, if I wanted to add the tag "Male" to a picture I have, when typing the "M" it would already list out all tags I've used that start with "M," narrowing down the list as I type more. Or of course would just automatically complete the tag when I clicked on one of the options.

This problem persists for any properties that I try to change, whether the file be JPG, MP3, the properties that used to pop up are no longer appearing, thus I have to fully type out every tag. I am still capable of searching via any of the properties however and I can also sort by tags in File Explorer. The only issue is that Explorer no longer "remembers" tags I've used before to help me fill them in.

File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property [​IMG]

My current File Explorer Options are

I've messed around with the inline AutoComplete as well to see if that would do the trick but to no avail.
    My Advanced Internet Options are

Any troubleshooting or methods I can try that may work, I'd be happy to hear about them.
    Any information that I can provide to help you better understand my settings, please ask and I'll add it.

Variance, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

1. File Explorer No Longer Accessing Files' Comments Property - Similar Threads - File Explorer Longer

2. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  3. explorer file properties incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    explorer file properties incorrect: I will try to be brief; I have a sony camera that produces photos with high ISOs over 64000: if I view the properties of files with higher ISOs in Explorer, the maximum visible value remains 65535 instead of 102400. For me that I have many photos it's a problem because I...
  4. Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?: As the title states, I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of information I can store in the comment property.With this I mean, if you right click a file in windows explorer, go to properties, then open the details tab, one of the editable fields is 'Comments'. I...
  5. Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?: As the title states, I am wondering if there is a limit to the amount of information I can store in the comment property.With this I mean, if you right click a file in windows explorer, go to properties, then open the details tab, one of the editable fields is 'Comments'. I...
  6. Is there a character limit to the comment property in windows file explore?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Properties can no longer be moved with the file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Properties can no longer be moved with the file.: Recently after my update to 21H1, I keep getting this "1 interrupted Action" information pop-up when I try to move a file from my desktop to another location on the hard drive or external USB. The same "1 interrupted action" pop-up occurs even when trying to use the copy and...
  8. Bug with Properties in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug with Properties in File Explorer?: I have three sibling folders all under the same parent folder that should contain the same number of files. The three folders contain the same files but they have different file names. If I use the command prompt DOS and run “dir /s” on each folder, I get 803 files for...
  9. File properties comments deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    File properties comments deleted: In Windows Explorer (Windows 7) I had added comments to a number of files in the Comments Tags of properties. All these comments have disappeared in Windows 10. Other info I added in other tags has remained. 52020
  10. "Comments" field in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    "Comments" field in File Explorer: There is one available; I have included it on my Details listings. How can I assign a comment? 92733