Windows 10: File explorer not able to be configured in prompt

Discus and support File explorer not able to be configured in prompt in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I'm prompted to select a file for example, a download from microsoft edge is asking me where to put it File Explorer pops up. However, I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ilovexboxone360 .-., Sep 27, 2020.

1. File explorer not able to be configured in prompt

Whenever I'm prompted to select a file for example, a download from microsoft edge is asking me where to put it File Explorer pops up. However, I would like to change the settings of it the tabs, file, home, share, view options are what i mean, but they don't seem to appear. It appears to have different settings than when I would open file explorer itself.

Is there a way to fix this?

:)

ilovexboxone360 .-., Sep 27, 2020

2. File Explorer not opening via pinned Taskbar icon on Windows 10

Hi Leon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I apologies for delay in reply. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to unpin the File explorer from the task bar and re-pin the File Explorer and check If issue is resolved. If issue persist, I suggest you to follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Sep 27, 2020
  3. File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Josef Bri Win User

File explorer not able to be configured in prompt

File explorer

Hi Tasmiya,

Thank you for the update.

Any chance you can provide us with the Advance settings window on your File Explorer? We also suggest performing the following steps indicated below.

• Press Win + X keys on the keyboard and select Command Prompt(Admin).
    • Type or copy, paste the command in the command prompt
    • sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit Enter.
    3.Restart the computer and check.

We'll look forward to your response.

Josef Bri, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

File explorer not able to be configured in prompt

1. File explorer not able to be configured in prompt - Similar Threads - File explorer able

2. Not able to access files on a mobile through File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to access files on a mobile through File Explorer: My Samsung Android phone doesn't show up in the file explorer as a drive on my laptop running Windows 11 when connected through USB port. It gets recognized under Bluetooth devices / Devices as SAMSUNG_Android. I restarted both my laptop and mobile. I uninstalled and...
  3. Not able to access files on a mobile through File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to access files on a mobile through File Explorer: My Samsung Android phone doesn't show up in the file explorer as a drive on my laptop running Windows 11 when connected through USB port. It gets recognized under Bluetooth devices / Devices as SAMSUNG_Android. I restarted both my laptop and mobile. I uninstalled and...
  4. File Explorer not able to open files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not able to open files: Hi, I have been having this problem for a few days. The file explorer is not able to open files.I can open folders in the explorer so it is likely not a mouse problemThe only effect of double-clicking a file is that the cursor shows the "working in background" pointer for a...
  5. File Explorer not able to open files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer not able to open files: Hi, I have been having this problem for a few days. The file explorer is not able to open files.I can open folders in the explorer so it is likely not a mouse problemThe only effect of double-clicking a file is that the cursor shows the "working in background" pointer for a...
  6. Not able to Configure WSUS latest patches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not able to Configure WSUS latest patches: Hi Team, I'm trying to install and configure WSUS on my windows Machine .I'm facing problem while post installation.it a prompting the below error Log file is located at C:\Users\Vemula.Kumar\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp7E96.tmp Post install is starting Fatal Error: Failed to...
  7. No longer able to cut and paste files using Files Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer able to cut and paste files using Files Explorer: Hello. Suddenly I noticed that when I try to cut and paste files using Files Explorer, the file pastes and the file name shows, but no matter what type of file it is pdf, word, jpg etc., the pasted file seems to be corrupt and cannot be opened. However, the original file...
  8. Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?: Around a month ago, I turned my laptop Asus TUF Gaming FX504 and instead of Explorer launching, I got greeted with Command Prompt. The fix was simple, I just typed "explorer" and everything was back to normal, but this issue kept on happening. I have a feeling it's something...
  9. Not able to clear Quick Access in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to clear Quick Access in file explorer.: Many files came in quick access tab which i have used 2 months ago that too only once. I am not able to clear them using 'file explorer options'. [ATTACH]...
  10. File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt: When I launch a recent folder or any folder linked on the pinned taskbar icon for File Explorer it launches what appears to cmd.exe with "Administrator" and the folder path in the top bar. the folder is also displayed in the command prompt itself. However if I just click on...