Windows 10: File Explorer not auto-refreshing

Discus and support File Explorer not auto-refreshing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sydonis, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Sydonis Win User

File Explorer not auto-refreshing

I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to right-click/refresh, and am using a micro-keyboard that requires 3 combined key presses to activate F5. Manual refresh is adding a significant amount of time to my task.

I need to enable auto-refresh for my work. This seems to be a basic issue that should have an easy resolution, but I have been troubleshooting for a couple hours now and cannot find any solution that works. After searching multiple forums and websites, I found this URL with the most straightforward answers:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/desktop-or-folders-not-refreshing-automatically-in-windows/

None of the proposed solutions have worked yet. I have gotten down to the "Create the DontUseDesktopChangeRouter registry value" solution. However, when I follow the instructions essentially open up the Registry Editor and find the filepath for Explorer.exe, this filepath does not exist. There is no "App Path/Explorer.exe" listed in the registry, nor is there a FileExplorer.exe.

So my question is this: How do I enable auto-refresh for file explorer? And if the "Create the DontUseDesktopChangeRouter registry value" is the best way to do that, how do I find Explorer.exe in the registry?

Thanks for the support!

:)

Sydonis, Mar 22, 2021
  2. Matazel Win User

Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations

Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations
    Windows 10

After file operations, rename, delete, etc., the file manager fails to update itself. After each operation I must press F5 to update the file list in file manager. sfc - did not found any violations.

Matazel, Mar 22, 2021
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer: No Automatic Refresh

After a few days, File Explorer stops automatically refreshing. Operations like:

• Adding or renaming a file
    • Deleting a file
    • Adding a folder
    • Moving a file/folder
    • etc.
    complete successfully, but nothing happens visually until I manually press F5.

Some of you may realize that this question has
    been asked several
    times
    before, like this one nine
    years ago
    . I've tried every single resolution step I can find that's been suggested. The problem always returns.

I think it's time someone from Microsoft answers this question properly. Why does a well documented bug like this go this long without a fix? Can you provide a solution that works and hasn't been blindly copied and pasted multiple times?

Whimsical Seaplane, Mar 22, 2021
  4. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

Win 10 (64 bit) File Explorer Does not Auto Refresh

• When did you start experiencing this problem?
    Since I started using the folder system on this browser. It seems to be a WIndows 10 issue (or default setting?). The only way I can refresh at this point is hitting F5 or left clicking to the Refresh option. THere is no Auto Refresh when I add a file to
    folder.

• Did you make any changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    No. This is a new machine with a freshly installed version of WIndows 10. I have not seen it work the way it did in WIndows 7 on my old laptop.

• Does the issue happen to all the folders in File Explorer?
    Yes. I've tried dragging and dropping files into different folders in various different view options (Details / Large Icons etc). The new file added is visible but it is placed at the end of the file list and not auto arranged in alphabetical order as I
    am familiar with in the past. Is there an auto arrange option for this?

mangodebango, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

File Explorer not auto-refreshing

1. File Explorer not auto-refreshing - Similar Threads - File Explorer auto

2. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows file explorer auto refresh not working: When I save or delete files from folders they don't appear until I manually hit F5 to see the changes. Not sure why it's not auto refreshing the folders anymore?...
  3. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows file explorer auto refresh not working: When I save or delete files from folders they don't appear until I manually hit F5 to see the changes. Not sure why it's not auto refreshing the folders anymore?...
  4. Windows file explorer auto refresh not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing: Sometimes Windows Explorer stops auto refreshing randomly for no reason. I must press F5 everytime i made changes, quite annoying. Restarting all Explorer.exe processes from task manager solved it, but the problem comes back again later Do anyone know what caused this...
  6. File Explorer not auto-refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer not auto-refreshing: I am doing some data entry work tagging and sorting a large volume of documents, but every time I am done with a document, I need to manually refresh the folder to see it placed in its new position. While this normally would be a quick and mundane task, I need to...
  7. windows 10 v2004 file explorer does not auto refresh

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 v2004 file explorer does not auto refresh: file explorer does not auto refresh Need to hit f5 to get files and folders to refresh. Unable to find a fix for windows 10 v2004 September 2020 For example - when I attempt to delete a folder from the desktop - I get this error message [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 64 bit file explorer auto refresh

Windows 10 64 bit file explorer auto refresh: I have a Microsoft Surface Book 2 and recently updated to the latest version of windows 10 and surface book 2 firmware. After rebooting i realized that file explorer auto refresh had stopped working. After reading and doing alittle investigating i found that many others...
  9. Auto-refresh on file explorer when desktop backgrounds are changed.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto-refresh on file explorer when desktop backgrounds are changed.: The title basically says it all, I thought this was happening because of software on the computer, but I realized that it happens when wallpapers change automatically or when you right click and select "Next desktop background". It's something annoying mostly when you have...
  10. Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations

Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations: Windows explorer fails to auto-refresh after file operations Windows 10 After file operations, rename, delete, etc., the file manager fails to update itself. After each operation I must press F5 to update the file list in file manager. sfc - did not found any violations....