Windows 10: File Explorer Not Displaying Japanese Characters Properly Win 10

Discus and support File Explorer Not Displaying Japanese Characters Properly Win 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am having a particular issue that in general seems to be pretty common but of which I have personally find no solution no known solution... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kofsmg, Jun 15, 2020.

1. kofsmg Win User

File Explorer Not Displaying Japanese Characters Properly Win 10

Hello,

I am having a particular issue that in general seems to be pretty common but of which I have personally find no solution no known solution that *works*. The issue I am having is that, particularly for folders/files that I download from the web using a browser, file explorer will not display Japanese characters properly in the file names. I have the Japanese language pack installed, I have non-unicode programs set to Japanese and locale set to Japan, but none-the-less File Explorer refuses to display Japanese characters in the filenames of files that I've downloaded. Instead, it replaces the characters with this: and occasionally other random characters, but mostly . Incidentally, Notepad also refuses to display Japanese characters does the same thing - replaces them with but Wordpad displays them just fine lol.

I have been struggling with this for a while and none of the solutions I've come across seem to resolve the issue. Any help regarding this is strongly appreciated.

:)

kofsmg, Jun 15, 2020

2. Getting Japanese characters to display

In Windows 10, I was able to switch between the English and Japanese simply by clicking on the ENG icon in my various Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.) Now, however, the icon is gone and the ability to get Japanese characters to display has vanished.
    My computer says I have the Japanese IME language pack, but I can't get it to work. Has anyone else had this problem in Windows 10? Any suggestions?

PaulMatychuk, Jun 15, 2020
  3. foxeln Win User
    Language support of japanese characters with Shift-JS

I have been using English, Greek and Japanese programs and files in my PC and sometimes the Japanese characters are not displayed properly. For this reason I switched the non-unicode language to Japanese in the administrative settings. The Japanese program
    menus work fine now, however when I open PowerPoint, the file takes a long time to load, some English characters appear as Greek and making changes e.g. deleting a word, takes half a minute. I have the following questions:

-What's the reasoning behind this behaviour?

-What language settings should I use to display ENG, GR, JP properly everywhere, both files and program menus?

Thanks in advance

foxeln, Jun 15, 2020
  4. File Explorer Not Displaying Japanese Characters Properly Win 10

Japanese characters display problem

My keyboard failed to display correct Japanese characters (i.e. hiragana & katakana).

The characters of 「あ、い、う、え、お」 that correspond to English "a, i, u, e, o" now become
    「ち、に、な、い、ら」.

I tried reboot the machine and reinstall the Japanese IME pack a few times, but the problem persists.

Would you please let me know how to fix it?

Patrick2020, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer Not Displaying Japanese Characters Properly Win 10

1. File Explorer Not Displaying Japanese Characters Properly Win 10 - Similar Threads - File Explorer Displaying

2. Where is the Japanese character located?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the Japanese character located?: I can't find the character for wo .I seem to not have this character at all and instead have two of mu , on keys "><" and "* '". My deafult keyboard also the layout is Estonian....
  3. Where is the Japanese character located?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is the Japanese character located?: I can't find the character for wo .I seem to not have this character at all and instead have two of mu , on keys "><" and "* '". My deafult keyboard also the layout is Estonian....
  4. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.: Windows Notepad does not display Japanese characters. They are simply hidden.The .txt files in OneDrive are correctly displayed on other computers. This problem does not occur for other files and applications such as File Explorer, .odt files, and email messages. Further,...
  5. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.: Windows Notepad does not display Japanese characters. They are simply hidden.The .txt files in OneDrive are correctly displayed on other computers. This problem does not occur for other files and applications such as File Explorer, .odt files, and email messages. Further,...
  6. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 virtual keyboard not displaying Japanese characters

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 virtual keyboard not displaying Japanese characters: Hello, Up until about a week ago, the windows virtual keyboard for my laptop has stopped displaying Japanese characters when I switch languages. Other languages such as Thai display their alphabet just fine. Not exactly sure when this problem started, but when I first...
  8. Japanese characters display problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Japanese characters display problem: My keyboard failed to display correct Japanese characters i.e. hiragana & katakana. The characters of that correspond to English "a, i, u, e, o" now become. I tried reboot the machine and reinstall the Japanese IME pack a few times, but the problem persists. Would you...
  9. windows 10 display in Japanese

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 display in Japanese: Andre Da Costa? I lost your answer - I need your e-mail address https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-display-in-japanese/1c7c8c6b-b489-41b2-9e29-9c7336344ec6
  10. Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files: Window 10 File Explorer seems not able to display the metadata (e.g., Title, Contributing Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc.) of some FLAC files, the contents get truncated, blanked out, or replaced with other funny character. I can see the problematic metadata are populated...