Windows 10: File Explorer not displying or accessing .xlsx after new update

Discus and support File Explorer not displying or accessing .xlsx after new update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a successful auto Windows update on 3/19/19. I used Excel 365 on several worksheets with no issues. Today when I used File explorer to open one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BMMORGAN, Mar 22, 2019.

1. BMMORGAN Win User

File Explorer not displying or accessing .xlsx after new update

I had a successful auto Windows update on 3/19/19. I used Excel 365 on several worksheets with no issues. Today when I used File explorer to open one of the files it failed to open and the icons on all of my Excel files changed to a sheet of paper. I can used Excel 365 app to open the files but not File Explorer.

:)

BMMORGAN, Mar 22, 2019

2. .xlsx tags not visible in explorer

We need to verify if you have added details under Tags, Categories, and Subjects to your .xlsx file by following the steps below:

• Open any of your .xlsx files.
    • Click on the File tab.
    • Under Properties, check if you have added any details besides
      Tags and Categories. See screenshot below:
      File Explorer not displying or accessing .xlsx after new update 982d8cf3-1fd2-4913-af9e-b6aaf7066cbc.jpg
    • If not, kindly add details.
    • Once done, save the file.
    • After that, check if the said details are now showing in the File Explorer.

If you have other questions or concerns in the future, we're just a click away.

Charianne Per, Mar 22, 2019
  3. xlsx files can't open

Hello Donald,

.XLSX is a file extension for an open XML spreadsheet used by Microsoft Excel. For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Is Microsoft Excel installed on your computer? If yes, which version of Microsoft Excel are you using?
    • Are you getting any error messages when opening the .xlsx files?
    • Did you create the said file or was it downloaded from a certain source?

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Luke Win User

Win10 file explorer not responding when accessing xlsx or docx files

New Dell XPS 15, Win10 home edition, McAfee anti-virus

Whenever I 'touch' (single click, right click, click the checkbox to the left of the file name) any xlsx or docx file from a file explorer window it hangs and displays 'not responding'.

When I then close the window by clicking the red close button, every file explorer window I have open closes down. About 30 seconds later I get a 'View firewall options' warning: 'Windows firewall and McAfee firewall are both turned off. Tap or click to see available options'. Options available are to turn on either Windows or McAfee firewall.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions to help resolve this behavior?

TIA

Luke

Thema:

1. File Explorer not displying or accessing .xlsx after new update - Similar Threads - File Explorer displying

2. xlsx file formats not valid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xlsx file formats not valid: i have files that i lost on a external drice i have recovered them but try to open and i get xlsx file formats not valid i have tried all steps that i have read up on with no results im stumped is there any other steps or solutions that i may try...
  3. xlsx file formats not valid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    xlsx file formats not valid: i have files that i lost on a external drice i have recovered them but try to open and i get xlsx file formats not valid i have tried all steps that i have read up on with no results im stumped is there any other steps or solutions that i may try...
  4. Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files

Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files: Split from this thread.Hi i have exactly the same problem on 2 windows 11 PCs, but apparently not on my windows 11 PCs. Its specifically indexing of only docx file content that is broken. Any other ideas as specified above ?thanksNolan...
  5. Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files: Split from this thread.Hii have exactly the same probem on 2 different PCs both running windows 11. It seems not to be broken on my other windows 10 PCs.Please fix this asap as this is critical. I have tried the above to no help. I checked on my windows 11 pc and windows 10...
  6. Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files

Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files: Split from this thread.Hii have exactly the same probem on 2 different PCs both running windows 11. It seems not to be broken on my other windows 10 PCs.Please fix this asap as this is critical. I have tried the above to no help. I checked on my windows 11 pc and windows 10...
  7. Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files

in Cortana
    Explorer cannot search text in .docx/.xlsx files, but can in other files: I am using MS Office Home & Student 2019. I am using Windows 11. I cannot find the answer to this problem anywhere. I think the problem started when I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11.Windows Explorer will not search for text within .docx and .xlsx files, but it will find text...
  8. File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer difficulty with xls and xlsx files: Hi there,I've noticed that if I change the default program to open xls and xlsx files to an open source one, like libre office, the windows file explorer does some crazy things. First ctrl+c doesnt copy the files to clipboard anymore. Second I cant select multiple files with...
  9. After 365 update, file explorer doesn't recognize .XLSX as an MS excel file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After 365 update, file explorer doesn't recognize .XLSX as an MS excel file type: Hiya, I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I recently installed Office 365 on my laptop upgrading from office 2013. An application I use a lot, Dymo label print v8, won't import .xlsx data files since the upgrade. The closest I have gotten to finding a...
  10. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx will preview txt pdf: Lately (I don't know how long, just noticed recently) Win 10 File Explorer won't show a preview of .docx or xlsx files. I have found a weird workaround: Open File Explorer, Highlight (click on) the file I want to preview. Nothing but a ding sound indicating a little window...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. File Explorer not previewing .docx files or .xlsx

2. explorer not responding with docx or xlsx files with detail view