Windows 10: File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever

Discus and support File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lots of computers on our domain reporting File Explorer not functioning at ALL. Sits with the Green Loading Bar, and returns nothing. Done all normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by id10tsupport, Nov 17, 2020.

1. File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever

Lots of computers on our domain reporting File Explorer not functioning at ALL. Sits with the Green Loading Bar, and returns nothing.

Done all normal troubleshooting (Reset FE settings, Index settings, SFC, etc...) . Issues can be persistent or intermittent depending on device. No consistency.

Update applied was KB4586781

Help

:)

id10tsupport, Nov 17, 2020

2. File Explorer Green Ribbon of Death

When I first upgraded to W10, File Explorer worked as it did in W7. Now when I open it I see a blank preview section and the forever expanding green ribbon in the ribbon bar. I tried checking Always show Icons, never thumbnails and the green ribbon finally finishes. But not being able to see picture thumbnails is a pain. I turned thumbnails on for the Pictures folder only and the never ending green ribbon is back. Possibly a related problem: with thumbnails off (or on) if I left click on a video file in the Videos volder, file explorer hangs and I have to end it with Task Manager.

I have heard that by ending the dllhost.exe process/service, the green ribbon goes away, but so does W10 security and stability.

Suggestions on how to fix are appreciated.

Without a properworking File Explorer, W10 is not really a suitable OS.

Graywuhllf, Nov 17, 2020
  3. ilangom Win User
    File explorer slow with loading thumnails and files

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

ilangom, Nov 17, 2020
  4. razghost Win User

File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever

1. File Explorer Not Functioning - Green Loading Forever - Similar Threads - File Explorer Functioning

2. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it": I have researched this forum and Google and I've done all that has been suggested to try to fix this very annoying issue but nothing worked - Nov 2023It continues to take a very long time to load - "working on it"Windows bug that never got fixedWindows is also up.to.date....
  3. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it": I have researched this forum and Google and I've done all that has been suggested to try to fix this very annoying issue but nothing worked - Nov 2023It continues to take a very long time to load - "working on it"Windows bug that never got fixedWindows is also up.to.date....
  4. File Explorer takes forever to load - "working on it"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explore loads forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explore loads forever: We are currently suffering from an issue that 3 windows 11 users fail to open any directory or files with file explore.When user clicks on a file/dir, the cursor turns to the load icon and loads forever.Even if we kill and restart File Explorer/ restart the PC, the issue...
  6. File Explore loads forever

File Explore loads forever: We are currently suffering from an issue that 3 windows 11 users fail to open any directory or files with file explore.When user clicks on a file/dir, the cursor turns to the load icon and loads forever.Even if we kill and restart File Explorer/ restart the PC, the issue...
  7. Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load: Ever since I updated to Windows 11, file explorer takes FOREVER to load and when it does right click doesn't work at all inside of it. Everything else in Windows 11 is completely fine except the file explorer. Any suggestions?...
  8. Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load

Windows 11 File Explorer Takes Forever to Load: Ever since I updated to Windows 11, file explorer takes FOREVER to load and when it does right click doesn't work at all inside of it. Everything else in Windows 11 is completely fine except the file explorer. Any suggestions?...
  9. file explorer Take forever to load

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer Take forever to load: Hi! It is a little bit difficult to explain my problem but I will try my best. When I try to open any folder on my Desktop it takes almost 2 minutes to do so, but when I got that open I can search and "drive" around with no lag or something like this, If I go to word for...
  10. File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer loads forever, many controls disabled: I'm evaluating Windows 10 for my company to check compatibility with our systems and general user experience. We're a small business, and we're presently running a mix of Win7 and Win8.1 machines, all running Pro and joined to our domain. The two machines I've upgraded to...