Windows 10: File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files

Discus and support File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Recently had my laptop drive updated to SSD. Probably had a bunch of updates done during this process. One thing that is driving me crazy since I got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KerryOn, Oct 15, 2019.

1. KerryOn Win User

File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files

Recently had my laptop drive updated to SSD. Probably had a bunch of updates done during this process. One thing that is driving me crazy since I got my laptop back is that File Explorer is showing all the files with the tilde character (~) and I can't get them to hide from the view. It's really messing my view up. Check that "don't show hidden files" is checked in Folder Options and the 'Hidden Items' on the Show/Hide ribbon is NOT checked. When I open the properties of these files I noted that none of them had the 'Hidden' attribute marked.

I have Windows 10, version 1903 (OS Build 18362.418)

How do I get these files to hide from my view???

Thanks

:)

KerryOn, Oct 15, 2019

2. Hidden files beginning with a tilde can't be accessed with Explorer in Windows 10

Resolved:

The files show up when "hide protected operating system files" is unticked in File Explorer Options, View tab.

Windows 10 appears to regard hidden files beginning with tildes as protected OS files, where as Windows 7 does not.

Thanks all.

Ataraxia-UK, Oct 15, 2019
  3. JohnGriz Win User
    Searching for files with a tilde in the extension

I'm trying to use Windows Search (AQS in Windows 10) to find all files in the current folder with an extension that ends with a tilde "~". For example, "foobar.txt~". I have tried:

name:*~ (returns all files),

name:*.*~ (returns all files),

name:*.*\~ (returns NO files),

name:*.*"~" (returns all files),

name:"*.*~" (returns all files),

name:"*.*\~" (returns no files),

name:*.*[~] (returns no files).

Any suggestions?

Also, I haven't yet found any good reference on what characters are special. I know "*" matches a string of any length, but why is tilde special?

Thanks in advance.

JohnGriz, Oct 15, 2019
  4. File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files

Show / hide files HELP..

Which method did you use to "hide" your file ?

blobster21, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files

1. File Explorer not hiding "tilde" files - Similar Threads - File Explorer hiding

2. file explorer hiding basic features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer hiding basic features: I have been using windows since 1993, dos before that.Windows 11 really sucks and one of the suckiness irritations is that the right click on a file in file explorer, simply doesn't show basic menu items, but hides them under more.The freaking delete menu item is hidden!I...
  3. file explorer hiding basic features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer hiding basic features: I have been using windows since 1993, dos before that.Windows 11 really sucks and one of the suckiness irritations is that the right click on a file in file explorer, simply doesn't show basic menu items, but hides them under more.The freaking delete menu item is hidden!I...
  4. File Explorer hiding items under ribbon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer hiding items under ribbon: Before minimizing RibbonAfter minimizing RibbonWhen I maximize the ribbon the first-row items don't slide down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-hiding-items-under-ribbon/e409d547-7597-474d-95b8-f9484a85948c
  5. File Explorer hiding items under ribbon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer hiding items under ribbon: Before minimizing RibbonAfter minimizing RibbonWhen I maximize the ribbon the first-row items don't slide down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-hiding-items-under-ribbon/e409d547-7597-474d-95b8-f9484a85948c
  6. Hide the username in file explorer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hide the username in file explorer: Ok so basically this is a simple one but I somehow coudlnt find a solution to this...How can I hide the full name of my Windows Profile in the upper left corner of the file Explorer? I plan to record some stuff and I dont want people to see my real name...
  7. File Hiding

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Hiding: No not that type of hiding but I have a file that not I really wanna hide but I just wanna stash it into a folder that I don't wanna accidentally stumble upon where should I stash them submitted by /u/PotatoHeadr [link] [comments]...
  8. hiding a file

in Cortana
    hiding a file: help me hide a file in Windows 10 computer. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hiding-a-file/8928317e-ae23-4af0-a951-e909056a6500"
  9. Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hiding the Desktop Icon (Dropdown File Explorer): Hello everyone, Hereby I would like to ask all of you for help on a problem me and my colleague have been tackling for the past couple of days now. We just can't seem to be able to crack this one. Situation: We are setting up our new Citrix farm and preparing our new...
  10. Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer hides *SOME* files visible on Desktop: Hi all, I'm having a problem with a brand new Dell XPS 15" computer regarding what files and folders it hides. Here's a picture of what is happening. [img] I have tried all the usual suspects. It is not marked as "Hidden" in the properties. I always enable "seeing...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer hide tylda files